Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
Regor
Greg

Why the Conventional reel vs Spinning

I've been doing fine with the gear I have, but always watching and learning as I think of my next reel.

The thing I have not learned as of yet, is why almost 95% of the Reel posts are referencing conventional reels. I have seen a large, LARGE selection of Saltwater Spinning reels, with some great specs that seem to match up to conventional reels, but yet I do not see many posting about them.

In my immediate future is a reel for throwing irons. Right now I am using an ancient saltwater spinning reel, and it is getting the job done, but I fear if it were really put to the test it might let me down. This is not to say that because it is a spinning real, but because of it's age/use.

So, with the lack of birds nests, impressive specs, and some real serious distances, why are less spinning reels used compared to conventional reels?

Greg
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
Kesepton

Im with you, I use spinning reels, but I am not usually fishing these heavy species and throwing heavy baits like the guys on here are. So not being an expert, I can give you some of the reasons, wont go into details as thats better left to an expert.

Conventional will allow you to cast further and more accurately with more control due to the fact you can thumb the line to slow it down and that the spool spins freels where as it comes off on a spinning reel.

Another benefit, they are better suited for braid with the way the line lays, and I know a lot the guys here are fishing with it too.

I use spinning because im used to it and generally fish freshwater using finesse techniques.
Kesepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
Jimmyz123

If you watch a lot of the fishing shows that are filmed on the East Coast you will see a lot of Spinning Reels being used and there is nothing wrong with them. I have used spinning reels for Saltwater and Freshwater. I have never used one for big game saltwater however not saying that I would not, but I just haven't.

I'm interested to see what a lot of the replies will be on this thread. I like spinning gear and use it often. The last time I went on a Long range boat a guy brought two Spinning reels with him. He won the jackpot and caught more Albies than anyone on the boat because he was able to cast the baits further out.

Personally I think less spinning reels are used because of the perception that some have of spinning reels. You'll hear people say they are Coffee Grinders, or that is a whimpy fishing reel or something. Some people just like the way the conventional reels feel also. What I do know is using a spinning reel too much can lead to tennis elbow. I learned that the hard way 4 years ago. I was fishing every Saturday and Sunday and using a Dropshot rig on a spinning rod. After about 2 months of doing this I noticed I was developing Tennis Elbow from it. That's one reason I switch between types of reels.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
dorado50

I like and use my Van Staal with 65# braid for inshore and offshore, catches big fish.....alot of fun when your outgunned.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
T-Rex

I lived on the east coast for 10 years and big spinning reels were very common. I used a big Shimano Baitrunner all the time for stripers, bluefish, cobia and smaller tarpon with no problems.

Last edited by T-Rex; 12-28-2010 at 07:18 PM.
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
roadx

im with ya on the spinning reels, im in the market now, just trying to figure out the right size reel. spec's on the spinner are impressive.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
-scallywag-
Banned

spinners have thier place.....the main reasons I don't use them is;

price- they are pretty expensive if you want one with the drags to handle braid...

reliability - alot more moving parts and tighter tolorences make rebuilding at home more difficult/time consuming/expensive.

no bait clicker or lever drag make trolling difficult

Line capacity - you would need a pretty big spinner to hold 200yrds of 40b mono.

All that so you can cast without backlash? whynot buy a mag'd reel or just practice casting?
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
roadx

the baitrunner series reels takes care of the trolling/fly lining drag

line capacity with 40lb lb spectra is not a concern, most medium size spinning reel will handle it
Old 12-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #9
GregAndrew

On one tuna trip that turned into a YT trip a couple of guys were killing us by using spinners. They were able to get their flylined baits about 10 feet further away from the boat than anyone with conventional. Of course the captain was pissed cause it took them 5-10 minutes longer to land their fish when he wanted to move or reset. I agree with Scallywag on the Price and Reliability issues. In order to get a spinner that is saltwater and spectra approved and has a good enough drag that you can put the screws to a fish and not be afraid of a breakoff you must pay through the nose. You must also keep up with your maintainance more with most spinners. That said, I have seen 40+ lb YT and WSB caught on good spinning setups.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #10
m1k3midg3

whenever i go on a multiday trip i ALWAYS bring a spinning reel with 15 pound test. i have a shimano baitrunner and i absolutely love it. its great cause u can cast out the furthest which means u are ussually the first to be hooked up on a fish. the only downside is that by the end of the day, ure line is twisted and beaten to hell.
m1k3midg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:17 PM   #11
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I once went out on an albacore boat with a bunch of guys toting standard gear. We had a great day with most fishers catching multiple fish. One guy stood out. He was a tiny Asian guy fishing a spinner with 15 pound test line.

Maybe this guy was just good or maybe it was his gear. He caught twice as many fish as the next best guy on the boat and even got the jackpot fish.

From what I have read, there is a bit of a West Coast bias against spinning reels. I had one in my garage when I started out on the kayak but was shamed out of using it. Now I am very comfortable with my standard reels.

Different strokes for different folks.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #12
stairman

The reasons spinners aren't too popular are numerous.
There only advantage is no backlash......but they make up for it by spinning the line if your not careful while fighting a big fish,by you often having to hold the line in front of the reel under tension if there is any slack and sometimes winding over loops on the opposite side of the reel that you can't see.
But the overiding factor the is first in my mind is the drag.When line comes off a conventional reel it rolls off in the same direction it must go through the guides.With a spinning reel the line goes out and makes a 90 degree turn before going out through the guides.This creates two things increased friction on that ninety degree turn and a much higher momentary force to get the spool turning back wards.
Try this.....put some line through a circle created with your thumb and fore finger and pull the rope through with it at a 90 and at angle more like how it goes through the first guide on a conventional reel.Feel the heat!
I realize that most spinning reels that are worth anything at all have a roller on the bail.....which kinda makes my point.
By having a higher momentary force to get the spool turning this means you can't fish drags as tight as with a conventional reel with out putting more strain on what ever is the weak link in your line.
Ok spin masters ....you can commence the beating!
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:24 PM   #13
taggermike

There is a bias around so cal against spinning reels. Spinners have come a long way in drags, strength, and reliability. But when I was a kid spinners were deffinately for beginers or fresh water guys who hadn't yet switched over to "real" reels. Maybe that old school bias lingers on. I have fished spinners but I don't like the way they feel. The bail revolving around doesn't feel ballanced. The ones I have used don't seam to have any real cranking power either. But for me the huge draw back is when fly lining I can't keep a feel for the line or bait. I just like to have my thumb on the spool. I guess its a personal preference thing. MIke
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #14
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post

So, with the lack of birds nests, impressive specs, and some real serious distances, why are less spinning reels used compared to conventional reels?

Greg
There are several conventional reels out there that will not birds nest when casting by using magnets or adjusting the cast control.

-How far are you talking about when you say they cast some serious distance ?

Conventional rods and reels cast with a smoother motion. imo
I've use both styles - as an east coast guy.

I like to cast with a long jig stick, but its not absolutely necessary to make a long cast. An 8 ft stick will fly a bait or iron pretty far.

It boils down to time with the tools.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #15
Royak

Line-Twist

The biggest problem with spinning reels is the inherent line-twist when using the drag.
Royak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #16
Kesepton

Oh yeah, another thing....

Spinning reels will be heavier than a comparable conventional set up, especially when taking line capacity and drags into consideration. So like stated, you can get that tennis elbow and I find causes more fatigue when casting a lot on a long day.

I rarely get that much time to fish though...
Kesepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #17
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesepton View Post
Oh yeah, another thing....

Spinning reels will be heavier than a comparable conventional set up, especially when taking line capacity and drags into consideration. So like stated, you can get that tennis elbow and I find causes more fatigue when casting a lot on a long day.

I rarely get that much time to fish though...
My biggest reason for not using the bigger spinning reels is exactly what was stated here. They are heavier, and when fighting larger fish can tire one out very fast. I mostly use Spinning gear for in the bay, lakes, and from time to time in the kelp. All other times I use baitcasters and the larger conventionals.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:27 PM   #18
fknricter

i used to be strictly a spinner guy, but when moving up to bigger lb. test and hoping for bigger fish i started to switch to the conventional style. and now spinners just feel awkward to me. and i get so frustrated with the line twists. im sure there are better reels with better roller bearings on the bail so that doesnt happen, but i think im even more confident with the feel of all my conventional reels. IMO everything comes down to preference. i think it would be hard for me to switch back.
fknricter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #19
FishinReelDeals

Quote:
Originally Posted by -scallywag- View Post
spinners have thier place.....the main reasons I don't use them is;

price- they are pretty expensive if you want one with the drags to handle braid...

reliability - alot more moving parts and tighter tolorences make rebuilding at home more difficult/time consuming/expensive.

no bait clicker or lever drag make trolling difficult

Line capacity - you would need a pretty big spinner to hold 200yrds of 40b mono.

All that so you can cast without backlash? whynot buy a mag'd reel or just practice casting?

x2 Way Way to expensive for a quality one. If my lotto #s ever come up, all be buying a couple of stellas!
FishinReelDeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:34 PM   #20
THE DARKHORSE

Eureka!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -scallywag- View Post

All that so you can cast without backlash? why not buy a mag'd reel or just practice casting?

Just sayin'