Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-31-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
chris138
donkey roper

October Sleigh Ride

Gosh this season just keeps on producing great fishing! After watching Bert and Josh rule the ocean while I had nary a bite to speak of, I was extra motivated to get another shot at the yt bite which has been cranking up and down the coast.

Got out Wednesday before work. Bait was much more scarce, and I only made 3 pmacs. That was 3 times what I needed. Conditions were epic. The deep bait clouds we have had are still hovering around. But these aren’t macks... Not a single sign of bait on the surface or any bird activity. If you don't have your sonar dialed in, it would be real tough to be in the game.

I thought this yellow didn’t fight that hard; I even thought it was a white at first. But then I watched the video and saw how far and how fast that fish towed me. It’s a solid 2 minute sleigh ride. I'll be the first to admit my technique is a little less refined than that of Mr. Finesse, Greg Andrew. This one was caught on 50lb mono to 40lb flouro leader, and I horsed it with full drag. From bite to gaff was less than 3 minutes. Battling dogs and bug traps this month has made me weary of letting fish run too much...

chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Nice fish!
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
GregAndrew

Nice fish. YT are the one inshore fish, that I target, that I would not mind a bit stiffer rod for. Btw, finesse is what my tournament LMB buddy does with 4 and 6 lb test. I just take my time and enjoy the fight. That and try not to get in my own way by being unprepared or getting over excited. Although it does not always go down that way (especially with a downrigger to deal with ).
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:39 PM   #4
jorluivil

Great video and music.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:16 AM   #5
alexreelin
Junior

Great Video!! Great Fish!! I need to catch one of those in la jolla!!! Any tips?
alexreelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:34 AM   #6
Smthtnnr
Fishing Addict

That's how it's done! And I thought that was a solid gaff shot to boot. Nice fish
Smthtnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:19 AM   #7
PAGREG
Junior

Nice day on the water, I really need to dial in my fish finder. I read the book and sit out there and just seems like I can't get it right. I have a lowrance hdi 4 with down scan as well. Nice yellow and great gaff shot.
PAGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:07 AM   #8
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Nicely done!

Your expression was very serious and intense. There was never any doubt that fish was yours! Nice quiet confidence, and great gaff!

Janine
Old 11-01-2014, 08:05 AM   #9
steveooo

Sick video and a solid fish
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #10
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexreelin View Post
Great Video!! Great Fish!! I need to catch one of those in la jolla!!! Any tips?
This was on a greenback mackerel. If you are fishing with a mackerel and you're in 100' of water, you have a chance! Dont be scared to use a big bait.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:24 PM   #11
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Nice fish. YT are the one inshore fish, that I target, that I would not mind a bit stiffer rod for. Btw, finesse is what my tournament LMB buddy does with 4 and 6 lb test. I just take my time and enjoy the fight. That and try not to get in my own way by being unprepared or getting over excited. Although it does not always go down that way (especially with a downrigger to deal with ).
Like many, I watch most of your videos and can really appreciate the sportsmanship of using lighter tackle. You make it look easy because you trust in all your gear and know just how hard you can pull on it.

50 lb mono is fun though... It allows you to use a stiff rod and really bounce the fish up. You can load up that mono and just sling your boat forward. Plus it's just so frustrating in LJ lately the dogs have been on point.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:11 PM   #12
Cbad Mike

Nice video!
We talked otw for a minute when you were heading in about the scarcity of bait. I only found one greenie. Fishing sucked for me but it was a beautiful day.
Congrats on your that YT!