Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2008, 08:19 PM   #1
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

MISSING

LJ 7/27

Missing: Baby Yellowtail

Somebody might want to ask some of the big Yellows that have been caught if they're missing their baby. This one is easily identifiable by it's lack of a tail.

The neighbors had a BBQ last night and I was tasked with providing the pescado part of "pescado frita". Got a late start because if the festivities from the prior night. Got out around 6am and scratched up a few spanish. Lost most of them as I let them swim away. Once they swam far enough away they would wrap themselves in the weeds. The action seemed to be above the submerged kelp but that was a "live by the sword, die by the sword" situation. Just as I thought that the mac had swam far enough away it wrapped itself in a stringer. Luckily I found a couple more after I emptied the tank and the first of the two proved a winner. After I put it out, I quickly lost the will to fight the wind and snotty condition and up the paddling frequency and headed in from PB mass. After an almost complete loss of confidence this unluck YT tike found my 1/0 owner ringed gorilla hook. Too small to gaff so he came in the easy way. I half-heartedly told myself after my better than average February that I'd release anything under 15 lbs but since I needed to bring home the "bacon" and being my first YT since that epic day months ago he had to bleed.

Not enough to really brag about, but enough to roll the confidence over to next weekend as well as support the saying about a squirl and his nut.

Last edited by nmbrinkman; 07-29-2008 at 12:35 PM.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
THE DARKHORSE

BIG BAIT!!

"Nice fish.. If it's possible to get an "on the water" tape and measurement, that will eliminate any "baby killing". Although a 14 lb YT would be bleed and iced if it was caught on my kayak. NO worries bro, YT grow quick and die young".

The above statement is a quote from a wise man, that put my mind at ease one day, so thank you. I know a couple of gps spots where that little guy wouldn't last five minutes, before being inhaled by a monster from the deep (2 lb ball, 6/0 circle hook and hold on!!).
Old 07-29-2008, 07:00 AM   #3
Dan

It's much easier for nature to replace that fish than a 35#er. No need to justify! That's a good eater right there!
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:55 AM   #4
ratdog

I would never keep a YT that small.....Yea Right! Good eats.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
Dave I.

A that small is just getting down to TRUE hamachi, most of the yellows i've seen caught here are all in the burro class of sushi/sashimi. That one should of tasted better than what you normally eat. My wife wants me to catch a few that small cause she doesn't like the taste of the bigger ones.

Dave
Dave I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:37 AM   #6
esdees
The Good Clone

Nice one, Nate. The heavier and fatter a yellowtail is for it's length, the better it will taste.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:04 AM   #7
madscientist

Nothing wrong with a little firecracker tail. Nice job Nate.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:02 AM   #8
lamb

Good to see lil' guys are around!

Right on Nate.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:04 PM   #9
h2ofishfo

goood job bro take'em while u can get'em
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote