Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 01-02-2007, 08:00 AM   #1
WCW Moderator
Super Moderator

2006 West Coast Whoppers FINAL!

*************Current jackpot is $950*************
1ST PLACE: Brad Messmer/717.5 points(5H,6YT,6WSB) 1st wsb mulligan played,wildcard played
2ND PLACE:Adi Ljubovic/476 points(3WSB,3YT,4H)wildcard,mulligan played, biggest fish, biggest WSB
3RD PLACE: Andrew Allen/423 points(2H,7YT,4WSB) 1st H,1st YT, mulligan played
4TH PLACE: Aaron Brenner/409 points(10H,2WSB,5YT)mulligan played
5TH PLACE: Julia Benak/400.5 points(10H,1WSB,4YT)Biggest halibut, mulligan played, 1ST C&R YT
6TH PLACE: Tyler Webb/298 points(2WSB,6YT,1H)
7TH PLACE: Chris Fierro/294 points(4H,5YT,1WSB,1YFT)FIRST WILDCARD!
8TH PLACE: Ken Atchison/270 points(3WSB,1H) mulligan played
9TH PLACE: Daniel Bensen/226.5 points(2WSB,1H,5YT)
10TH PLACE: Dave Cabral/199.5 points(1YT,3WSB)mulligan played
11TH PLACE: Ryan Block/179.5 points(4YT,2WSB)mulligan played
12TH PLACE: David Hornback/155.5 points(2WSB,1YT)
13TH PLACE: Dave Easton/148 points(1WSB,3YT,3H)
14TH PLACE: Pat Holmes/127 points(2YT 1WSB) biggest YT
15TH PLACE: Mike Knott/106.5 points(1WSB,2YT)
16TH PLACE: Matt Moyer/100 points(1YT,1YFT)
17TH PLACE: Will Bowen/77 points(5H,1YT)
18TH PLACE: Kurt Shindler/66 points(4YT)
19TH PLACE: Corey Wyrick/65 points(2YT, 1H)
20TH PLACE: Larry Laumann/51 points(1WSB)
21ST PLACE: Jasmin Grabic/49 points(3YT)
22ND PLACE: Charles Belnavis/45 points(3H) 1st CnR
23RD PLACE: Derek Reed/42 points(2YT)
24TH PLACE:TIE! Steve Orr/24 points(1YT)
24TH PLACE:TIE! Rex McNamara/24 points(1H,1YT)
26TH PLACE MJ Kennedy/18 points(1YT,1H)
27TH PLACE: Austin Bland/17 points(1H)
28TH PLACE: Paul Hartwell/16 points(1YT)
29TH PLACE Trevor Blann/15 points(1H)

1st Pace Brad (Mad Scientist)Messmer

Biggest SLAM, Biggest WSB, Biggest fish over all and biggest Shit eatin' grin :lol: Adi LJuvobic

Slam: 31# halibut

21# yellowtail

60.5# white seabass

Biggest yellowtail: Pat Holmes 42.3 pounds

Biggest halibut: Julia Benak 46.1#

A big "Thank You!" to everyone who participated. WCW 07 will be the talk of the town, don't be on the outside lookin' in

If you played the game, put up you single best fish of the year.

What a year we had!

The 2006 Year End WCW party to be anounced soon!!!
WCW Moderator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:03 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

I had a few WSB that were bigger fish, but this would be my best fish, in my eyes.

30 pound yellowtail on the suface iron

Old 01-02-2007, 08:15 AM   #3
Dennis

Congrats to all of the winners.. I'm in again this year, and maybe I'll submit my fish..
Good going guys and gal.
-D
Old 01-02-2007, 09:46 AM   #4
madscientist

Congrats to all who played and had fun this year. The last two years, WCW has been the extra motivation that has pushed me out of bed on cold winter mornings, out on a little skiff with a mini yak, and down to Baja. I think Andy and Corey's vision of a tournament that raises the bar of what is possible for kayak fishing has been realized, and for me WCW will always be as much a celebration of our young sport as a competition.

I'm honored to have participated and competed with such a great bunch of anglers, and I owe a continuing debt of thanks to those that have helped me learn the ropes of west coast fishing. So I'd like to say a special thanks to Andy, Pat, Arne, Ken, Chris, Todd, and Adi for all the knowledge and camradarie :salut:. And I'd like to thank new friends Patrick and Tyler for many a good time and good info OTW. Watch out for these guys, WCW2007.

I usually leave the proselytizing to Adi , but I'd like to make one plug for WCW2007. I hope everyone that reads this board will consider joining and participating this year. With the support of Brent at OEX, there are many other ways to win and the kickoff tournament and invitational tournament will undoubtedly be great fun for all. In my mind, WCW is the premier kayak fishing event in the country and with all of our support it will continue to demonstrate that SoCal kayak anglers are among the best. Cheers, and good luck to all in WCW2007.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:06 AM   #5
Dan

Congrats to the winners. I've learned alot from you guys in my measly 2 years of fishing....And being able to catch a "fish of a lifetime" practically every month out in La Jolla is almost unreal.

My favorite fish this year came on a quiet May morning:
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:42 AM   #6
dmr

Congratulations. It's great to look back on all the memorable catches of the year. I'm looking forward to the 2007 kick off.
dmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:08 AM   #7
Arne

Well said Brad! A big CONGRATS to the new Reigning Champ and to all those on the leaderboard - and back at ya' on the "learning west coast fishing" thank yous, Brad. You've upped the curve on that end, fo sho.

And Adi, in my opinion winning the Slam is a significant acomplishment and a big win for you as well. Nothing but big fish - puttin' the Whopper back in WCW.

Best of luck to all in the '07-'08 WCW and a very nice move on the OEX/WCW pairing - all my dealings with OEX/Brent have been hugely positive and professional so this should make for a fantastic tourney.
Arne
Old 01-02-2007, 11:11 AM   #8
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

I believe this is the second biggest fish of the year :

Thanks to everyone that participated and big congrats to all the winners . I learned a lot in my first full year of kayak fishing and did so well becuase of the information that everyone was willing to share. Thanks to Patrick, Brad, Matt, Chris, Adi and everyone else who made the time on the water even more enjoyable.

I too hope more people will enter next year, but I'll leave it to Adi to threaten them :bom: . I know team Bad Lamb will have some competition from team clone this upcoming year. I didn't think I would ever catch this many nice fish in one year, but I joined becuase I thought the timely information and techniques was worth the entry fee.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:42 PM   #9
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

What a year! Lots of fun as usual, good friends new and old, some of the best baja trips to date, can't wait to get back down for some more fishing with you guys, blasting GnR...! Too many great fish for me, but this #28 YT stands out from the SCI trip, it ended my 6 month drought... A drought so brutal through the WFO WSB runs, where I got skunked... :cry: I guess I had one 5 lb halibut early, if I had only released it, I would have beaten Tyler by 1pt!!! :x 8)

Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:54 PM   #10
Pat

Brad,

Congrats on a stellar season. I think we all envy your determination to fish really hard.

I hope the first thing you do with the jackpot is get a friggin haircut. :P
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:34 PM   #11
Corey

BIG Congrats to Brad, Adi, Andy, Aaron, Julie, and all of the other competitors for making WCW 06 an awesome year.

I wasn't able to fish too hard this year (and forgot to submit a few fish), but it's on in '07! Here's my best of the year: 27# yellow off Black's.

get bent,

corey
Old 01-02-2007, 07:27 PM   #12
DESTROYER

WTG Brad! Crushing victory! Thanks to Andy & Corey for running this great year long tourny. I always love it when Adi PMs me and gives me a little jab. Maybe if I was older and had more time on my hands :lol: :lol: :lol: . You guys are all great fisherman who posted catches. I have learned a tremendous amount from all of you. Have a happy and safe 2007.

TL-Matt
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:23 PM   #13
Ryan The Sealion

This was my favorite fish of the year because I got skunked in the AM, went to school, drove back to LJ for a PM sesh on a gut feeling and got this guy in the midst of a semi WFO c-bass bite...skinny 35# with a 47" fork...2nd biggest yak yellow of the year I believe...
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:36 AM   #14
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Congratulations Brad!

You’ve topped the field of some very dedicated and effective kayak fishing people.

I loved being out there in 2006, and can’t wait for 2007!!

I might make the 2007 leaderboard more interesting..... by submitting the seriolas I catch. :roll:

2006 memories.………………………..It’s been a great year-

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:39 AM   #15
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
I might make the 2007 leaderboard more interesting..... by submitting the seriolas I catch.
Quote:
If you played the game, put up your single best fish of the year.
You obviously have trouble following rules :roll: :lol: :lol: ya wee lil.......
Old 01-03-2007, 07:48 AM   #16
FISHIONADO

My best fish, caught at dusk in April. I call this photo "happy paddle". :lol:

FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:26 AM   #17
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO
My best fish, caught at dusk in April. I call this photo "happy paddle". :lol:

happy ending paddle?? :lol:
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:03 PM   #18
lamb

What a year indeed…

I can’t believe where I ended up, but it’s not like I haven’t tried hard… It’s amazing what a couple of big fish can do for you. I’ll be the 1st one to say that I’d never know (or think I know) what I know (or think I know :lol: ) without the internet and all of your reports. It definitely helped me learn a ton, and the learning continues. Fun on the water never stops.

Big time congrats to Brad on an awesome run. 8) He just blew us all out of the water. I sure hope he’ll be less of an animal in WCW07. :lol: I must contribute a big part of my success to fishing with Brad. Two of us pulled off some amazingly rewarding trips together, some of the best fishing I ever experienced. Early calls for “tag team from hell” didn’t come up for nothing. :lol:

Congrats to Andy for proving once again he’s the top dog. In my case it's a combination of luck and accident, but that sure isn’t the case with Andy. He continues to prove he's THE master - stand up and say Iceman.

Congratulations to A&J on an awesome year. Definitely the tightest team out there; I felt they’ve had the most focused strategy of all. I hear that one big flat heartbreaker almost shook the top in very last minute. :shock:

Hats off to Tyler, the winner of WCW 2006 New Talent award. Sure thing, his twin brutha Patrick shares the prize. :lol:

Congrats to all who fought hard in the mid-field. It definitely made it interesting to watch.

Mr. Seriola not catching a YT is the funniest joke of WCW06. :lol:

Thanks to all for the support. 8)

Good fishing all in 07.

WCW 07 will be a blast! It always is.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:20 PM   #19
Hook 1

Way to go Brad! You fished your a$$ off. That's one of the key things along with catching more big fish than all others. Nice job.

Karen and I would like to thank Big Water's Edge for letting Hook 1 be a sponsor of it's tournaments.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:44 PM   #20
Corey

Thanks Mark & Karen. We really appreciate you support of our events. Mark, did you ever figure out what was stinking up your garage?