Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
Chuck D

Bad experience TURNED GOOD at Jig Stop Tackle & Tours!

Hello All,
I do not like to pass bad news to about a business unless I feel as if I have truly been wronged, but this is definitely the circumstance. I had ordered a Terez Rod from Jig Stop over a week ago after getting wind of a good deal to pair up a rod with my new Curado EJ. I placed the order, got a confirmation email and waited for my purchased to arrive. To my avail over a week later I get a phone call from the lady at Jig Stop that the rod is not in stock anymore and been sold out. She offered me a spinning rod which I did not want as I needed a conventional for my Curado. Anyways she passed me to the boss over there who proceeded to tell me too bad, they were on sale, too many orders were placed and were sold out. No apology or admittance of responsibility. He basically said that the internet purchase wasn't in store and they happened to be out of stock which didn't reflect on the internet and still doesn't until today (so if you placed an order you might have to deal with this BS like I did today). He offered no solution and went on to say that this happens on Amazon all the time. He was not concerned to update his quantities online in a timely fashion and really didn't even understand my frustrations. He then asked if I would like to be updated about future sales. To this I laughed and assured him that I only deal with professional businesses. It takes a lot to frustrate me but this business did, I hope his unwillingness to resolve problems, admit guilt and help out a potential future customer was well worth the poor word of mouth, which he didn't seem to care about when I mentioned that I would post this experience on our amazing kayak fishing website. Bummed, hope he is too.

*** So I need to follow up on a negative post that I had for Jig Stop in Dana Point. A couple days after I posted this I got a call from Dave at Jig Stop. He told me that he did some research and found the rod I was looking for through Shimano that was a different color and he would be more then happy to get that one shipped to me. Arrived at my house a week later, same price, stoked. I want to give a public apology to Dave at Jig Stop and let everyone know that he went the extra mile to help me out regardless of our differences. I am happy that I not only have my rod but that I can give positive feedback about a local shop rather then negative. Thanks Dave and I certainly appreciate the follow through and hope that others go through your store in the future. Cheers.

Last edited by Chuck D; 07-01-2013 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Wrong Heading
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
Dannowar

and that is why i support the local tackle shops.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
BrokeLoser

Isn't Jig Stop in Dana Point?
BrokeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
StinkyMatt

Are you upset because a business ran out of fishing poles at a great deal price?

Or

Are you upset because a business did not update their inventory?
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
Chuck D

I am upset because:
-They did not update inventory on website yet sent me and order confirmation and shipping confirmation when I purchased item.
-The manager/owner made no attempt to apologize, resolve issue, offer comparable alternate offer or acknowledge that there was anything wrong with ordering off a website that does not have an item in stock.
-Oh and lastly the lady working there also lied about calling me a week ago, yet there was no call made to my phone. I am not one to exaggerate, just inform future possible consumers.
Thats about it
Old 06-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
oneyedeer

that site looks kinda pretty rough to begin with...hence i didn't order one i was more concern with where my personal info was going...Amazon on the other hand has my 97 dollars and hopefully I will have a 300ej in a couple weeks
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
dorado50

Terez rods are so popular even Shimano can't keep up....shop around, most inventories are depleted.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
mrJB

Sorry you had a bad experience at the Jigstop...

Dave always treats me right. In fact, I very recently ordered a lefty SXJ, got an email three days later to come pick it up, and there it was, loaded with the line of my choice and with a Jigstop reel cover.

Not to threadjack or really bitch, I will never do business with "Acid Rod/C & M Custom" again. Ordered some goodies months ago and order came without a spool of "A" size black thread. Order marked "Owe". Never did get my thread despite two emails asking the status, and their continued advertising of the thread. Guess I'll have to go to Mudhole for my components...
Old 06-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Sorry they sold out of those on sale rods before you got one.

JigStop is a good local Dana Point shop, not really much of an online retailer.

They always treat me well and I'm usually in there once a week. All the guys there are good people.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Sorry they sold out of those on sale rods before you got one.

JigStop is a good local Dana Point shop, not really much of an online retailer.

They always treat me well and I'm usually in there once a week. All the guys there are good people.
x2 I've had great experiences there and work just up the street (try to stop in on lunch breaks to check the used gear case once a week or so) I do like Hogans down the street by A's too which is an alternative.

All-in-all that sucks, sorry your order didn't go through. Stop in, let them know what you are looking for and I have no doubt that they'll get you taken care of
Old 06-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #11
silentsmell

Ya I can see why you're not happy, but I don't understand why you're upset to a point of warning others not to shop there.
silentsmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #12
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck D View Post
Hello All,
I do not like to pass bad news to about a business unless I feel as if I have truly been wronged, but this is definitely the circumstance. I had ordered a Terez Rod from Jig Stop over a week ago after getting wind of a good deal to pair up a rod with my new Curado EJ. I placed the order, got a confirmation email and waited for my purchased to arrive. To my avail over a week later I get a phone call from the lady at Jig Stop that the rod is not in stock anymore and been sold out. She offered me a spinning rod which I did not want as I needed a conventional for my Curado. Anyways she passed me to the boss over there who proceeded to tell me too bad, they were on sale, too many orders were placed and were sold out. No apology or admittance of responsibility. He basically said that the internet purchase wasn't in store and they happened to be out of stock which didn't reflect on the internet and still doesn't until today (so if you placed an order you might have to deal with this BS like I did today). He offered no solution and went on to say that this happens on Amazon all the time. He was not concerned to update his quantities online in a timely fashion and really didn't even understand my frustrations. He then asked if I would like to be updated about future sales. To this I laughed and assured him that I only deal with professional businesses. It takes a lot to frustrate me but this business did, I hope his unwillingness to resolve problems, admit guilt and help out a potential future customer was well worth the poor word of mouth, which he didn't seem to care about when I mentioned that I would post this experience on our amazing kayak fishing website. Bummed, hope he is too. Dont shop here.
I was in the shop when you called today around lunch time.

Dave is a good guy. I heard him offer to put you on his email list so that future deals they offer, you'd be notified ASAP when when his sales begin.

Give the guy a break. He's not NORDSTORM, He's not AMAZON (who by the way has decided to not honor the mispriced 300 EJs), he's a local tackle shop serving guys who like to fish who'd otherwise have 1 less place to actually visit and talk to knowledgeable local anglers if he shut down cause he continually took a loss on his product sales.

Give the guy/shop a break.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #13
Chuck D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
I was in the shop when you called today around lunch time.

Dave is a good guy. I heard him offer to put you on his email list so that future deals they offer, you'd be notified ASAP when when his sales begin.

Give the guy a break. He's not NORDSTORM, He's not AMAZON (who by the way has decided to not honor the mispriced 300 EJs), he's a local tackle shop serving guys who like to fish who'd otherwise have 1 less place to actually visit and talk to knowledgeable local anglers if he shut down cause he continually took a loss on his product sales.

Give the guy/shop a break.
All I can say is an apology goes a long way. When a business, company corporation, or whomever goes by the approach too bad so sad when something goes wrong and it is obviously not the consumers fault then yes I will probably be turned off by the business, not shop there again and tell others that may shop there about my experience. I am sure that he is not a bad guy and this is not the point. In order to retain loyal customers you need to have customer service. Perfect example, this weekend at Squidco they forgot to call me for a month about my reels being serviced, without asking for anything I went into the store and the owner sincerely apologized and gave me a free tshirt and hat. This is what makes people come back to a business, not shifting the blame to the consumer and making them feel like its their bad that they cant drive an hour to get a rod instead of ordering it online. One apology from this guy Dave would have dismissed this whole thread. That's just how you need to run a business plain and simple.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #14
dc1983

Jig stop has been nothing but good for me. I have ordered reels on line and over the phone and picked them up within the hour or two with line and ready to fish. They have replaced guides on rods for me as well. They might be a little different but still a good business. I wouldn't stop doing business with them after 1 bad experience like that. You have to look at it through the businesses eyes as well. They could have offered an apology I will agree with that.
dc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #15
lterrero
Leo

Way to go Chuck! thanks for running the word, you did your thing and at the other end, like we say in Venezuela "go and fry monkey"
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #16
SoCalCJ

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience! I have to agree with many others on here, Jig Stop is an excellent local tackle shop. I remember seeing the owner Dave at a lot of different anti-MLPA events. Last time they had a sale on Accurate reels, I picked one up in-store for close half off. Great brick & mortar store, although the website is a little shady.
SoCalCJ is offline   Reply With Quote