Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-04-2005, 12:19 PM   #1
madscientist

3rd-4th Dec...LJ goes boom

Where to start....

Got down to the shores ahead of the Arne inspired crowd and headed north with the holy mac to make bait. Worked around to find the greenies, eventually loaded up. Psychopup came by but wasn't in an overly playful mood. Just as we decide we're stocked, birds go crazy over the canyon.

Full speed paddle, throw out a croc for the troll. Get over the canyon, about halfway across into the birds, and the croc gets whacked. Nice fight for 10 minutes but once we go vertical, hook pulls. Damn, but this is just the beginning. The plastic fleet is getting hammered, guys hooked up left and right. Join up and get some baits down, trying to stay out of the way of the various guys getting towed around. One rod gets bent, but doesn't stick. A little later, second rod gets whacked and I'm on. Good fight but as I try to horse it up the sticky drag on my reel wears a hole and the hook pulls. Damn. Two other good strikes don't stick. Tide slacks and that's it. I went back across the canyon for more bait, in hopes that te outgoing swing would produce a similar bite. Only produced this nonsence...

and this...

I ended the day 0-2 on solid hookups and 0-3 on bites. The yak fleet did much better, including multiple multiples, right on guys!. Call me Farmer Brown . Some percussion loving SOB was putting on a show, a real thing of beauty to behold. Everyone agrees to keep it under wraps, sort of .8)

Sunday the launch is packed...who leaked? Apparently nobody, but still a full house on the beach. I went with the same game plan and went north for bait. Had trouble getting a GPS fix so I couldn't get on my favorite spots, but found a couple green ones. Like clockwork, the birds formed up and the calls over the radio start. I got over to the fleet to find several bendos. Start working the iron as yak after yak gets towed off. No bites. Finally I feel something but it turns out to be a nice squid. Cool, I hate the iron anyway.

Quick flurry of action then it quiets. Several of us move back up wind and I pin the squid, figuring this is my best shot. It hits bottom, 1...2...3, bendo! Plucky little fat fish does his thing, but after yesterdays pulled hooks I let him have his fun. Almost pulls me into a PBer that, at the last minute, finally backs away. Get the fish to color but I am staring into the sun and can't find my gaff. Try to grab the thing but then I finally see my handle and stick the little guy. 17#.

Shortly thereafter the bite ended and that was that. Not the same carnage as Saturday but many fish died. Heck, even the PBer's caught some. :shock: Beautiful conditions both days and a whole bunch of talent and good company on the water. I'm sure there will be many other exciting tales (tails) to come.

The fat lady is sitting on her couch, drinking a beer. This seasons got more to give...

P.S. Good luck to Andy and Arne as they race for the finish. I think I'll just hope for a place on the podium and enjoy the thrill of having been in the chase close to the end. Guess I'll save that vacation time for some time when it can be better used (like, say, January ) Cheers!
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote