Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-28-2018, 10:23 AM   #1
jlabs63

La Jolla -7/27: Nice Yellowtail with my new Pal

My wife and kids are out of town, so I had to get it on. I launched the RIB with my new pal Bluewater Jon, yesterday morning around 7 AM. No surf to speak of. Bait was tough to find, but we were able to make about six 5-7" GBs. We started trolling south, but The current was ripping so hard that we couldn't keep our speed under 3.5+, so we turned around.

We were marking a ton of bait and fish mid-column and near the bottom, so we threw on a 4 oz egg and that was the ticket. We were hooked up within 15 minutes, due west of the condo in about 100-110'. He made 4 or 5 nice runs, so we thought he was going to be a fatty. We got him to the boat in under 15 minutes and I sunk a perfect head shot.

Here is where the amateur hour begins....

He was bleeding everywhere, so I held him over the side while Jon tried to cut his gills. Of course a dog grabbed him and the tug-o-war was on. Luckily he only had him by the tail and we were able to horse him onto the boat. Then my boy Jon pulls out his knife to brain him and I had to remind him that we are in an inflatable raft! Sorry Jon, had to do it.

I estimate he was about 18 lbs. I had the heavy gear out today. Caught on a Shimano Tyrannous 20;
Carolina Rig: 4 oz
65# braid
6' of 30# Fluro

On the way in, we ran into a huge pod of porpoise. They were swimming and jumping next to the boat for about 5 miuntes. I have a video but cant figure out how to upload it.
Attached Images

jlabs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:05 AM   #2
Croaker Dave

Thanks for the report. Good catch!

Although now I'm hankering to see a funny fishing video where someone stabs their inflateable while aiming at a fish.
Croaker Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:21 PM   #3
Vikingj

Beautiful! Thanks for report and pic
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:09 PM   #4
FISH11

Talking

Saw you out there on Friday. I was in my kayak and I could see the advantage in being able to move around quicker, to check out different areas quicker. That, I find is the best advantage, somedays I have spent too much time searching for live bait. When the bait is hard to find I like trolling or casting Irons and that, like the knife or a gaff are somethings I would always worry about being in an inflatable. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:06 PM   #5
LEEZO

way to go! congrats on your yellowtail.
LEEZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:16 AM   #6
the dude

your yt looks traumatized. lol
Old 07-29-2018, 12:55 PM   #7
summers in kuwait

Nice job on the yellow!
Congrats!
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:17 AM   #8
jlabs63

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Saw you out there on Friday. I was in my kayak and I could see the advantage in being able to move around quicker, to check out different areas quicker. That, I find is the best advantage, somedays I have spent too much time searching for live bait. When the bait is hard to find I like trolling or casting Irons and that, like the knife or a gaff are somethings I would always worry about being in an inflatable. Thanks for sharing.
Yeah, the boat is definitely an advantage when looking for bait. Lately, I have found myself fishing from it more than the yak. I enjoy the sport of yak-fishing, but I have a bad back and its about the same effort to launch, but is faster and more comfortable.

Ive had it for about 6 years and the material is very tough; Ive dropped lures and hooks, but never punctured it. The gaff is the real concern, especially when you have a fish on it! We could have very easily stuck it in one of the sides during the tug-o-war with the seal.

However, I just had to patch about a dozen or more tiny pin-hole leaks in floor on the back half of the boat (the boat has an inflatable floor), but cant figure out whats causing them. The only thing that I can think of is bait flopping around. There were none in the upper half that is mostly used for storage.

The Dude - You're right, the fish does look traumatized. Must have been from the dog.
jlabs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:02 AM   #9
blitzburgh

Way to go
Old 07-30-2018, 12:04 PM   #10
crashcrow

Awesome! I got one too!
crashcrow is offline   Reply With Quote