Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-30-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
swinginFish

THANKS BWE ADMINS

Beautiful day out there yesterday, and even better for some others. Clear, warm water, sunny, minimal surf, little wind, a few biting YT's and general good cheer on the water. Smallish barrecuda hitting lures and raking what few baits I could find (biggest challenge of the day was finding decent bait). Current running a bit southward keeping bull and other kelp less visible. Hook ups likely to weave macrame in the kelp - plan accordingly.

Note: Years past the norm here (and on the regional kayak-fishing blogs that preceded it) was to post so that others could benefit from the intel. Sorry to learn a few folks got overzealous and caved to the evils of "localism". As an undisputed member of LJ's (I hate this, but its evidently true) "old guard", can say the biggest lament about kayak fishing these days isn't the numbers, but the attitude. Consider this post my way of showing solidarity with those who believe in openly sharing so others can learn about relevant conditions as well as lessons, innovations and trophy fish.

Avery
swinginFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
theluckypig

theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
tasteslikechikn54

It's good to know that BWE has made it clear and hopefully we can get back to the important stuff... Good reports and timely info is always good. Cheers... Went out as well, and all I could manage was a nice greenie and like 4, 12 inch jack smelt... I couldn't make bait to save my life.... Good luck to all out there today.... Tons of life out there and the water was a nice, clean, blue color... I saw some of the biggest jellyfish I have ever seen in my life out there. Good luck.
tasteslikechikn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
jorluivil

Long overdue............

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #5
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginFish View Post
Beautiful day out there yesterday, and even better for some others. Clear, warm water, sunny, minimal surf, little wind, a few biting YT's and general good cheer on the water. Smallish barrecuda hitting lures and raking what few baits I could find (biggest challenge of the day was finding decent bait). Current running a bit southward keeping bull and other kelp less visible. Hook ups likely to weave macrame in the kelp - plan accordingly.

Note: Years past the norm here (and on the regional kayak-fishing blogs that preceded it) was to post so that others could benefit from the intel. Sorry to learn a few folks got overzealous and caved to the evils of "localism". As an undisputed member of LJ's (I hate this, but its evidently true) "old guard", can say the biggest lament about kayak fishing these days isn't the numbers, but the attitude. Consider this post my way of showing solidarity with those who believe in openly sharing so others can learn about relevant conditions as well as lessons, innovations and trophy fish.

Avery
This was what I loved so much about BWE when I joined a few years ago. I could login, read some reports, learn, ask questions, and feel like I was in a good place to learn kayak fishing. Then the swing came and it became clear that if you asked questions, posted a report, or whatever it was you were going to get crap from doing so, and at times threatened. What's with that? There's joking around and then there's crossing the line. I had someone threaten to punch me out if they ever saw me at La Jolla. That didn't scare me off from going to La Jolla because there's plenty of witnesses there, and I know how to defend myself if needs be.

I may not be liked by everyone, and that's O.K. but this is fishing and I'd be willing to chat it up with anyone to learn, help, and just flat out have fun fishing. I hope this site gets back to what I remember when I first logged on.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasteslikechikn54 View Post
It's good to know that BWE has made it clear and hopefully we can get back to the important stuff... Good reports and timely info is always good. Cheers... Went out as well, and all I could manage was a nice greenie and like 4, 12 inch jack smelt... I couldn't make bait to save my life.... Good luck to all out there today.... Tons of life out there and the water was a nice, clean, blue color... I saw some of the biggest jellyfish I have ever seen in my life out there. Good luck.
I had no trouble in the making bait Thursday in the morning, but after those ran out all I could make up was the Jack Smelt. I too saw some most amazing life out there. Black Sea Bass, WSB, YT, Bat Rays, I also saw jelly fish, were the ones you saw white and red?

There's life out there, but they weren't hitting anything I was throwing at them.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 06-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #7
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
I had no trouble in the making bait Thursday in the morning, but after those ran out all I could make up was the Jack Smelt. I too saw some most amazing life out there. Black Sea Bass, WSB, YT, Bat Rays, I also saw jelly fish, were the ones you saw white and red?

There's life out there, but they weren't hitting anything I was throwing at them.
The best luck I had catching Greenbacks yesterday was to reel in a bare 2/0 circle hook through schools of bait. The spanish and smelt were too lazy to chase it, so I would get the few greenies in the mix. It happened by accident the first time, tried it again and it seemed to work. This was late though, around 4pm
Old 06-30-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginFish View Post
Sorry to learn a few folks got overzealous and caved to the evils of "localism"

We've had these issues up in LA for years now especially with some in the Malibu crowd. Over the top reactions to posts, internet stalking, blatant aggression, threats, verbal altercations at the launches, even car vandalism.

I've only posted here for a few years, but in that time period I've seen the same mentality gain momentum here, often instigated by the same people or friends of theirs in the kayak scene. It's a real drag. Though these guys like to pretend they are the only "real" fisherman, you kind of have to wonder why these people even frequent boards if they are so anti the exchange of even the most basic fishing information.

It's great to see BWE take a stand on this. I hope it has an effect.

When I saw Scallywags deep hole/ Malibu report my first thought was: "Oh man he's really going to get it", and the second was "Great Report". Shame that first thought and it's related cynicism even entered into the equation.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 06-30-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #9
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
The best luck I had catching Greenbacks yesterday was to reel in a bare 2/0 circle hook through schools of bait. The spanish and smelt were too lazy to chase it, so I would get the few greenies in the mix. It happened by accident the first time, tried it again and it seemed to work. This was late though, around 4pm
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed a lack of sardines in the La Jolla area? I know there are years where we will see tons of dines and/or chovies, but usually not all at the same time.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 06-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #10
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
We've had these issues up in LA for years now especially with some in the Malibu crowd. Over the top reactions to posts, internet stalking, blatant aggression, threats, verbal altercations at the launches, even car vandalism.

I've only posted here for a few years, but in that time period I've seen the same mentality gain momentum here, often instigated by the same people or friends of theirs in the kayak scene. It's a real drag. Though these guys like to pretend they are the only "real" fisherman. You kind of have to wonder why these people even frequent boards if they are so anti the exchange of even the most basic fishing information.

It's great to see BWE take a stand on this. I hope it has an effect.

When I saw Scallywags deep hole/ Malibu report my first thought was: "Oh man he's really going to get it", and the second was "Great Report". Shame that first thought and it's related cynicism even entered into the equation.

Jim
I've been a member on another San Diego Fishing site since 2001 and through the years there have been many that have thought they could out fish anyone and everyone. Some of them probably could out fish many and all, but I have never seen that site get to a point where people have threatened others with fighting or any of that.

I have noticed that some in the Kayak fishing world have almost adopted that old skater/surfer mentality of, "this is our water you can't fish it unless I say so." Also there are those that if they don't see you holding a YT,WSB, or Halibut from your Kayak then you are not worthy to post up fishing information, tips, or tricks. Just because I haven't caught any YT or WSB from my kayak doesn't mean I don't know how to fish or anyone else for that matter. I have helped many catch good amounts of fish, and of good quality over my years of fishing.

Thank you BWE for taking this stand, and I think the only way this site is going to get back to what many of us remembering it to be like is if we all work together to make it the best Kayak fishing site out there. This isn't BD Kayaking, it's BWE.

Now, can we all just go catch some and just get along?

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 06-30-2012, 08:39 AM   #11
Pocoloco

Thanks bwe, this forum is for reports....., give some good info then brag about your catch if you want. i love pics but please post an informative report. You still have to go out and get em.
Pocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #12
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.vint View Post
Thanks bwe, this forum is for reports....., give some good info then brag about your catch if you want. i love pics but please post an informative report. You still have to go out and get em.
You couldn't of ended that sentence any better. I know a few guys that went out 2-3 days straight and of the 5 or so only 1 managed to land a fish and that was after a 10-12hr day.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #13
Gigafish

Let that river flow
Gigafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #14
bubblehide

It's great to see the Mods stepping in an moderating. I've witnessed a couple other boards where the mods stepped back and let the mud fly, it eventually got so bad, the mods let the bullies take control. Needless to say, those boards pretty much died, as no one but those in the "inner circle" bother to post there any longer.

My hats off to the Mods.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #15
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
It's great to see the Mods stepping in an moderating. I've witnessed a couple other boards where the mods stepped back and let the mud fly, it eventually got so bad, the mods let the bullies take control. Needless to say, those boards pretty much died, as no one but those in the "inner circle" bother to post there any longer.

My hats off to the Mods.
I could not have said it any better. There is a fresh breeze blowing in off the water today. Our community will be much better as a result. Thanks guys for stepping up.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #16
MrM

I've been on vacation for a few days (fly fishing report coming, by the way...) but I must have missed something by the notice up top and this thread...

Either way, this site has been helpful to me in every way. From my very first post, everyone was nice and welcomed me with open arms, and I never really said thank you for that.

So, thanks BWE. Let's keep it up, and catch some fish. Looking forward to the day when I can lend a hand to someone else.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #17
tasteslikechikn54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post

Yeah... They were more of a purpleish color, with white. But they were huge... I would've stayed out later my I gotta call from the commander and had to head home... I ran into BUTTCHASER, and he told me to hang around for the afternoon bite... I almost doubled back, but decided to call it a day. Don't wanna piss off the old lady...
tasteslikechikn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #18
taggermike

Thanks Avery, well said. Seeing reports like this gets old fast; "Me and CoolGuy#1 caught the right kind at our usually secret place". Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #19
Iceman
Administrator

Again, the point we would like to drive home is post what you want or don't. Criticizing other contributing members for what they share or choose not to share will get you shit canned.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #20
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

Yes indeed.

Comment removed; user banned for 1 week. If such comments continue, we’ll ban permanently. We will not tolerate any BS.

Avery, thanks!!