Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 02-10-2016, 09:22 PM   #1
C.W.C.
Salt

Catalina Island / 02-06-2016

It wasn’t either one of our birthdays, but one of our last chances to get away to the Island for the weekend alone, before our little one arrives..
Catalina offers us up the perfect little getaways, as both my wife & my schedule’s are quite demanding as of late, and are very difficult to synchronize with me chasing fish night & day. Since this was a very special trip for us. I decided to ship out my PA 12 Via Catalina Freight in LA. Having fished Catalina from a basic rental paddle kayak & other Hobie MirageDrive models countless times, this marked the very first time I have been on my Hobie Pro Angler out there! All the portaging and hauling was quickly appreciated as the Checkers kept coming over my H-rail in style & comfort. With all my electronics previously set up to my liking, I was able to ride my desired contour lines precisely this round & it sure paid off right around lunchtime as the tide fell. As soon as I approached the first reef section, I was greeted and followed by a sea lion who was also fishing..
I thought this was going to prove to be a very difficult morning, as he tried to work alongside me for over a 1/2 hour. Finally he got discouraged on the slow action strictly due to his presence & then my day quickly changed for the better & warmed up the action. My morning of February 6th, 2016 started off extremely slow, so I quickly switched back out to the Warbaits Slayer swimjig in 3/4 ounce, +6” SwimmerZ trailer in Redbone Glow & ProCure UV Flash Shrimp Gel for scent. Got picked up by about a dozen smaller Calicos until the morning sun was working higher for me in the day right on my back as I worked up the barren lanes. It’s really amazing all the different color variation Calicos exhibit out there. From light lime greens all the way to those dark golden bruisers! The toads all came on the larger red flaked baits this session. 8” Mag SwimZ in “Calico Candy” with an upgraded “Green Pumpkin Craw” Z-Tek skirt rigged on a 1 ounce Project Z ChatterBait in “Blueback Herring” found some good ones. My shoulder was killing me after all the lugging around coupled with my torn Labrum, so I didn’t get to throw the WaterWolf camera very long this session as compared to previous outings. However, it was more than enough to capture some cool tight structure / small kelps below the surface in the vid. Hope to get back out in a couple months. I was targeting the usual inshore tight kelp lanes sans kelp. No matter, as this provided unobstructed views of my offering to the reef dwellers below. I thought the regrowth would have been more established back by now, but previous storms sure wreck serious havoc on the Islands vegetation. Had a decent twenty+ class Hali chase right up to the kayak before getting spooked & she bailed. C&R!

(Left Profile)

Old 02-10-2016, 09:23 PM   #2
C.W.C.
Salt

Always Watch In HD!

Old 02-10-2016, 09:57 PM   #3
Mthomas88
Junior

Sweet!
Mthomas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:54 PM   #4
newportdogs

Very nice, I always enjoy your Catalina posts, keep them coming. Did 8 or so one day Saturday trips on the Flyer last summer renting kayaks at Descanso until Nebraska football shut down our Saturdays. It’s a great one day trip. Looking to pick up it up again soon.

I’m hoping that Catalina Freight Line keeps some of the business.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...130-story.html

5 1/2 months to Lava Wall.
newportdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:42 AM   #5
Zfish03

Nice Wade! Those are some quality fish I'm sure there is going to be some more lurking around there soon...
Zfish03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:20 AM   #6
eekamouse463

C.W.C FTW LOVE YOUR VIDS AND SONGS ALWAYS!
eekamouse463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:50 AM   #7
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by newportdogs View Post
Very nice, I always enjoy your Catalina posts, keep them coming. Did 8 or so one day Saturday trips on the Flyer last summer renting kayaks at Descanso until Nebraska football shut down our Saturdays. It’s a great one day trip. Looking to pick up it up again soon.

I’m hoping that Catalina Freight Line keeps some of the business.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...130-story.html

5 1/2 months to Lava Wall.

Thanks for the article. Great Read. Maybe if both companies get approval we might see some more competitive rates on kayak shipping.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:33 AM   #8
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Awesome Report! You going back to the Florida Lodge anytime soon? I'm planning on being in Sarasota in a few months to visit my dad, and he said I can take his yak out anytime. Looking to get on some snook and bull reds inshore, and maybe even venture offshore a bit to hit some rockpiles.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:09 AM   #9
C.W.C.
Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty View Post
Awesome Report! You going back to the Florida Lodge anytime soon? I'm planning on being in Sarasota in a few months to visit my dad, and he said I can take his yak out anytime. Looking to get on some snook and bull reds inshore, and maybe even venture offshore a bit to hit some rockpiles.
Thanks, it was a blast! Yes, I will be headed back to Florida soon to open the place up shortly.. The inshore action will be so good you wont have time to venture offshore!? Feel free to hit me up I would love to soak a line with you out there or point you in the right direction..
Old 02-16-2016, 08:46 AM   #10
WARRIORMIKE

just happened to see the freight costs of shipping a kayak. Looks about $81 bucks round trip. Was that about the cost to ship your PA?

What was cost of getting you to the island?
WARRIORMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:37 PM   #11
spicolly

Wade - so stoked for you and your wife. When we fished last Summer you shared that y'all we're trying...like time on the water, looks like all that practice paid off! Congrat's - you're going to be an awesome papa!
spicolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:18 AM   #12
crazywakeboarder

Congrats on the little one brother!

Your PA should fit across my bow. Let me know if you want to get out to the island. I've been fishing it exclusively
Old 02-17-2016, 05:58 PM   #13
C.W.C.
Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicolly View Post
Wade - so stoked for you and your wife. When we fished last Summer you shared that y'all we're trying...like time on the water, looks like all that practice paid off! Congrat's - you're going to be an awesome papa!
Thank you so much! My whole world is about to change in a few weeks!?
All the stress here I guess? When we went on vacation down in Islamorada it was a go..Thanks again, she will have released her first snook before one & raised by the tides!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywakeboarder View Post
Congrats on the little one brother!
Your PA should fit across my bow. Let me know if you want to get out to the island. I've been fishing it exclusively
Thank you! Sounds excellent, I would live to hitch a ride!
It would sure save me a grip..See below..

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORMIKE View Post

just happened to see the freight costs of shipping a kayak. Looks about $81 bucks round trip. Was that about the cost to ship your PA?
What was cost of getting you to the island?

35.44 EACH WAY.
Cat Freight http://www.catalinafreight.com
$70.88

Cat Express $76.50 each- 153
PARKING $36

Hotel Atwater

to

return

Drive PA up to LA Cat Freight to ship.
Drive back to OSide.
Gas $30

Drive back up next day Oside to DP.
Park car DP.
Gas $14

Drive back from DP to OSide.
Gas $14

Drive up & pick Up PA in LA from Oside
Drive back to OSide.
Gas $30

Vons 30
Baby Clothes 50
Pizza 15
Breakfast 40
Taxi 15
Misc 50
=$929.87

All for just one Bass to release..
Worth every penny!
Old 02-21-2016, 02:23 AM   #14
crazywakeboarder

We'll put some pool noodles under it and tie it down to the cleats and get you over there. Gas is $2.19 at costco for the boat. Cost me $40 round trip in fuel to take my wife over for Valentines weekend.

Shoot me a text if you want a ride over!

When is she due?