Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-20-2018, 07:51 AM   #1
TheEngineering
Junior

Smile Future Yaker Needs some Help

Hi guys,

My name is Andy, I have been considering getting a Kayak for Bay/ inshore fishing in Sourthern CA, Orange County Region.

Due to family commitments (wife and Kids) I haven't been able to fish a lot since 2011. Now my kids are a little bigger I finally get time for myself again.

My friend who used to live in Southern CA has been recommending me to get a kayak for fishing as he thinks it's a perfect solution for me.

I am a complete novice to kayak fishing and would like to seek some help. I am still shopping for my first kayak looking around craiglist and facebook marketplace.

If anyone would be kind enough to show me the rope and let me tag along or meet up on their next trip in the orange county area I would greatly appreciate it. I get to learn and make new friends at the same time.

Make new friends and seeking out new adventure is what's fishing about.

Thanks in advance.
TheEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:20 AM   #2
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEngineering View Post
Hi guys,

My name is Andy, I have been considering getting a Kayak for Bay/ inshore fishing in Sourthern CA, Orange County Region.

Due to family commitments (wife and Kids) I haven't been able to fish a lot since 2011. Now my kids are a little bigger I finally get time for myself again.

My friend who used to live in Southern CA has been recommending me to get a kayak for fishing as he thinks it's a perfect solution for me.

I am a complete novice to kayak fishing and would like to seek some help. I am still shopping for my first kayak looking around craiglist and facebook marketplace.

If anyone would be kind enough to show me the rope and let me tag along or meet up on their next trip in the orange county area I would greatly appreciate it. I get to learn and make new friends at the same time.

Make new friends and seeking out new adventure is what's fishing about.

Thanks in advance.
There is a lot of info on this forum. My #1 suggestion is to start reading and learn to use the search function well.

A few questions to get your gears turning the right direction....

How are you planning on transporting the kayak?
How are you planning on storing the kayak?
Where are you planning on fishing with this kayak?

All depending on how you answer these three questions is the direction your maiden kayak voyage begins...

goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:26 AM   #3
TheEngineering
Junior

Hey, Thanks for the quick reply. I am doing a lot of reading at the moment.

To answer your question

How are you planning on transporting the kayak? Planning to use my 2011 Highlander with kayak rack (side mounting on top of the roof)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...GMHDPJAQE37NN2

How are you planning on storing the kayak? In the Garage, I don't use my Garage to park my cars.

Where are you planning on fishing with this kayak? Orange County, CA for the most part. Mainly the harbor such as newport or Dana. If someone would let me tag along I eventually would like to venture outside the break water for sheephead, calico, etc...
Old 08-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #4
goldenglory18

Quote:
Hey, Thanks for the quick reply. I am doing a lot of reading at the moment.

To answer your question

How are you planning on transporting the kayak? Planning to use my 2011 Highlander with kayak rack (side mounting on top of the roof)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...GMHDPJAQE37NN2

How are you planning on storing the kayak? In the Garage, I don't use my Garage to park my cars.

Where are you planning on fishing with this kayak? Orange County, CA for the most part. Mainly the harbor such as newport or Dana. If someone would let me tag along I eventually would like to venture outside the break water for sheephead, calico, etc...
Awesome. If you are JUST hauling the one yak, don't use those J racks. They are a PITA and really not worth the cost. Haul the boat like this instead:

You are going to want to look for something under 80ish lbs. Car topping is a young mans game and only gets harder after a long days work paddling. It's also a lot harder to do when its breezy out (like almost every day in SoCal outside summer months.) This is also why I hate those J racks for single boat transport.

For storage, garage is always best but buy yourself a bottle of Aerospace protectant anyway. It helps condition and maintain the rotomolded plastic that most higherend yaks are made of. As for when its inside the garage, build a rack, or have the yak supported upside down or sideways on the gunwale(s). These are the strongest part of molded plastic boats.

Staying in the harbor and occasionally venturing outside the surf line, you can easily get away with a slower, more comfortable boat (which tend to also be less expensive.) Look at paddle boats that are in the 11.5' to 13.5' range and around 30" wide. Wilderness Systems, Jackson, Malibu, Native... all of these mfg's have great products that fit your need.

How big of a guy are you, if you dont mind me asking.....
Old 08-20-2018, 10:38 AM   #5
jhernandez

Your welcome to join me, I usually fish the harbors.
jhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:49 AM   #6
Hunters Pa

Where in OC? You might have someone from this board right around the corner.

Paddle as many models as you can. Go to demo days. Go to tourneys & meet ups to get an idea for rigging. Then narrow down what models you are considering.

Search the forums on "newbie" and you should get a ton of hits.

Ask lots of questions, but be ready for some sarcasm & sh!t talk. Better to ask what some would consider a dumb question here than make a costly or painful mistake on the water.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:01 AM   #7
TheEngineering
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Awesome. If you are JUST hauling the one yak, don't use those J racks. They are a PITA and really not worth the cost. Haul the boat like this instead:

You are going to want to look for something under 80ish lbs. Car topping is a young mans game and only gets harder after a long days work paddling. It's also a lot harder to do when its breezy out (like almost every day in SoCal outside summer months.) This is also why I hate those J racks for single boat transport.

For storage, garage is always best but buy yourself a bottle of Aerospace protectant anyway. It helps condition and maintain the rotomolded plastic that most higherend yaks are made of. As for when its inside the garage, build a rack, or have the yak supported upside down or sideways on the gunwale(s). These are the strongest part of molded plastic boats.

Staying in the harbor and occasionally venturing outside the surf line, you can easily get away with a slower, more comfortable boat (which tend to also be less expensive.) Look at paddle boats that are in the 11.5' to 13.5' range and around 30" wide. Wilderness Systems, Jackson, Malibu, Native... all of these mfg's have great products that fit your need.

How big of a guy are you, if you dont mind me asking.....
So Basically I just need the crossbars and tie the kayak down facedown across the crossbars like you showed?

I am looking at the widerness tarpon, malibu X13, hobie mirage, 3 waters big fish 105, etc...

I am 5'9", 200 pounds (last i checked)
Old 08-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #8
TheEngineering
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhernandez View Post
Your welcome to join me, I usually fish the harbors.
I might have to take you up on it after I get my kayak. Thanks in advance
Old 08-20-2018, 11:03 AM   #9
TheEngineering
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
Where in OC? You might have someone from this board right around the corner.

Paddle as many models as you can. Go to demo days. Go to tourneys & meet ups to get an idea for rigging. Then narrow down what models you are considering.

Search the forums on "newbie" and you should get a ton of hits.

Ask lots of questions, but be ready for some sarcasm & sh!t talk. Better to ask what some would consider a dumb question here than make a costly or painful mistake on the water.
I live in the City of Orange in the heart of Orange County.

I am mainly looking for Used kayak for now and upgrade as I get more exposure.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:22 AM   #10
goldenglory18

Quote:
So Basically I just need the crossbars and tie the kayak down facedown across the crossbars like you showed?

I am looking at the widerness tarpon, malibu X13, hobie mirage, 3 waters big fish 105, etc...

I am 5'9", 200 pounds (last i checked)
Yeah, two straps secured basket style and you're good to roll. Longer trips I'd suggest to do FWD and AFT straps to secure the nose and tail, but slow LA area traffic typically mitigates that need.

All great boats. Tarpon is more paddle based than fishing based. It's faster than say a Ride, Radar, or ATAK, but less stable. If I remember correctly it also has a fixed seat, so its less adjustable as well. For your size (I'm about the same, but a tick heavier) I'd look for something with a wider base. You'll thank yourself after a long day on the water.

Malibu are SUPER stable boats but weigh a ton. I'm also not as big of a fan of the materials they use in their mfg and finishing process. I've fondled quite a few and actually owned an X-Caliber for a hot minute. It was the most stable platform I've ever fished off of (and I've been on a lot of paddle yaks) but it was an absolute pig. So, sooo heavy. Excellent choice if you've got a second set of hands, and olympic lifting background, or a lift-assist system on your vehicle. Or a trailer....

Big Fish 105.....I'd try to stay closer to 12' or 13' boat. That way its more comfortable to fish off of and its safer on big water if you choose to venture out. There is a reason Ocean specific kayaks are longer than 13'.....

Like I mentioned above, you and I are about the same build. 12-13' and about 30" width is going to make you really happy and comfortable....
Old 08-20-2018, 11:25 AM   #11
TheEngineering
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Yeah, two straps secured basket style and you're good to roll. Longer trips I'd suggest to do FWD and AFT straps to secure the nose and tail, but slow LA area traffic typically mitigates that need.

All great boats. Tarpon is more paddle based than fishing based. It's faster than say a Ride, Radar, or ATAK, but less stable. If I remember correctly it also has a fixed seat, so its less adjustable as well. For your size (I'm about the same, but a tick heavier) I'd look for something with a wider base. You'll thank yourself after a long day on the water.

Malibu are SUPER stable boats but weigh a ton. I'm also not as big of a fan of the materials they use in their mfg and finishing process. I've fondled quite a few and actually owned an X-Caliber for a hot minute. It was the most stable platform I've ever fished off of (and I've been on a lot of paddle yaks) but it was an absolute pig. So, sooo heavy. Excellent choice if you've got a second set of hands, and olympic lifting background, or a lift-assist system on your vehicle. Or a trailer....

Big Fish 105.....I'd try to stay closer to 12' or 13' boat. That way its more comfortable to fish off of and its safer on big water if you choose to venture out. There is a reason Ocean specific kayaks are longer than 13'.....

Like I mentioned above, you and I are about the same build. 12-13' and about 30" width is going to make you really happy and comfortable....
What do you go out on right now if I might ask?
Old 08-20-2018, 11:53 AM   #12
goldenglory18

Quote:
What do you go out on right now if I might ask?
2016 Ride 135. I've personally owned five Wilderness Systems boats, three Ride 135's (two of this generation, one of the prior) one Ride 115 (just a shorter version of the 135) and a Thresher (awesome boat, I just had a MFG defect issue with the one I had.)

I have very little negative to say about this platform....

Old 08-20-2018, 04:58 PM   #13
Mahigeer

PM sent.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:06 PM   #14
GTboosted

If you plan on surf launching (Not just lake la jolla) a wilderness systems kayak is a great choice.

Take it out without gear and have fun in the waves. Roll it on purpose. I had a Tarpon 140.

Coming out of a harbor you can almost get any yak. Just make sure it has a rudder. Look for a good deal on a used one so you can sell with minimal loss when you decide to upgrade.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:40 PM   #15
tak100
Recruit

Welcome to the addiction!

Definitely second taking a couple of check out voyages to get used to the kayak before you add the extra gear for fishing.

Check out some safety videos on YouTube and practice getting back aboard in deep water. Better to practice and be confident in your skill then to be in need and have no idea of how to get it done.

See you on the water sometime.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:09 AM   #16
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTboosted View Post
If you plan on surf launching (Not just lake la jolla) a wilderness systems kayak is a great choice.

Take it out without gear and have fun in the waves. Roll it on purpose. I had a Tarpon 140.

Coming out of a harbor you can almost get any yak. Just make sure it has a rudder. Look for a good deal on a used one so you can sell with minimal loss when you decide to upgrade.
Great advice here. Wildy boats are very, VERY well build and incredibly stable. Especially when in mild chop/boat traffic. Just be mindful of their adjustable seats (the ones that raise and lower.) That high position, in a pretty buoyant boat, on really choppy water, can lead to a super tippy boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak100 View Post
Definitely second taking a couple of check out voyages to get used to the kayak before you add the extra gear for fishing.

Check out some safety videos on YouTube and practice getting back aboard in deep water. Better to practice and be confident in your skill then to be in need and have no idea of how to get it done.
Amen to that.

The #1 piece of advice I give to newbies (actually, #1 is always wear your PFD (personal flotation device,) is to paddle your new boat, without any extra gear, in a safe spot to go swimming. If there is a lifeguard present, let them know what you are doing and how you will communicate with them if needed. Head out to a safe spot without boat traffic and learn your tipping/turtle/kick points. The intention here is to figure out how far you can push the boat before you get wet. Once you do find those points, learn how to recover once you're in the drink. Learn how to right a turtled vessel and how to board from being kicked off. Figure out how to do these things, without using the aft storage well (because that's where 90% of your gear will be) and practice them in deep water.

Then and only then will you be ready to go out and play in the bays and blue water. I got this advice and have religiously followed it to the T. I strongly suggest it to everyone in return...
Old 08-21-2018, 06:23 AM   #17
Mahigeer

Great advise above.

I just learned a new term for me: Turtled vessel.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:54 AM   #18
TheEngineering
Junior

Hey guys, thanks for all the tips and PMs. I have been doing my share of reading and watching video. I believe the best thing to do as many have already mentioned would be to experience hands on

I am planning to test out a few kayak before making my decision. Ultimately I will probably end up buying a second hand option but would like see what will suit me most. I would like to spend a little extra time to do my research instead of rushing into something that I might regret later.

Tight lines
Old 08-21-2018, 08:38 AM   #19
Mahigeer

Andy (Iceman) at OEX can probably let you try some models.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:52 AM   #20
jhernandez

Quote:
I might have to take you up on it after I get my kayak. Thanks in advance
Ill PM you my number when ever your ready.
jhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote