Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2011, 07:33 AM   #21
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhynik View Post
I normally toss some grubs around. Out there what should I use if I fail at making bait? Dropper looped frozen squid? Or a mackerel colored swim bait?
Right now it is hard to not make bait with a sabiki of any kind. For the kelp line my favorite thing to do is throw plastics/ jigs while soaking one live bait or two dead squid to avoid tangles one mid column and one low. If the bite is super slow do not be afraid to venture off the kelp a bit and target some whites or bottom critters! And if you are super ready for a bigger bite try trolling some macks behind you for awhile and see what happens!
Good Luck!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #22
Rhynik
Junior

Well I made it out there this morning. A bit later then I planned on, took longer to get all my gear together. I met a couple really cool people, not sure if all of them are from this community. Cheng gave me some good info and tips, some guy named Aaron and another guy, unfortunately I can't remember his name, gave me some tips on launching and landing in the surf. Apparently those tips were invaluable cuz I didn't roll on either today. I got soaked, but I didn't flip. I did break one of my bass poles on the landing, I had the pole in a bad place and ended up stepping on it when peddling.

While loading up my truck I met Sharon, she was really cool and told me about some of the stuff I would need to chase the bigger fish. I had a blast even though I got a lil sick like TheKid said I might. So I'll buy some dramamine get some stronger gear and start chasing some of those bigger fish. I hope to see some of you out there, and actually hope to meet more of you and learn what I need to do to land some of those monsters you guys catch.

I did catch a couple bass, small barracuda and a nice rock fish.
Rhynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #23
Handymansd
Ancient Member

I am so glad you had a great time, sorry about the bass pole... I figured if you are at the lauch with a smile and a good attitude most of the yak fishermen are very cool about sharing a bit of their experience.

See you OTW some time!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:24 PM   #24
pchen911

Quote:
I'll buy some dramamine.
Nice meeting you today.

Don't worry about getting seasick. It takes only a couple of times out to get used to it. You'll probably be fine without dramamine by your next trip.
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #25
Aaron&Julie

Nice meeting you at the launch, and glad if I helped with it. If I'm not mistaken, your name was Jake? Correct me if I'm wrong, I often am with names.
Sounds like your launch was like mine. The waves were bigger than normal, and I took white water over the bow, too. I'm glad you didn't roll. Landings can be particularly hairy at times. Sorry about the rod breaking.
I went solo without my Julie. Sounds like you did better than me. I covered probably 10 miles total, and except for mackeral (saved for lobster season), I only caught 3 small sand-dabs I released. I'm jones'ing for a yellow.
Now, that you got the feel, I'm sure you'll be back.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:19 AM   #26
Rhynik
Junior

Yup my name is Jake. If it wasn't for all of the advice I got on the beach I probably would have rolled in the surf.

Another guy told me about aguide he hired named Josh Pruitt who I believe posts on here as well.
Rhynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:00 AM   #27
jorluivil

Quote:
Another guy told me about aguide he hired named Josh Pruitt who I believe posts on here as well.
Nope....name doesn't ring a bell.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:38 PM   #28
KayakNinja
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Nope....name doesn't ring a bell.
His name has been banned from mortals' minds by the fishing gods for how much carnage he has laid forth on the fish of SD.
KayakNinja is offline   Reply With Quote