Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-01-2018, 06:45 AM   #1
Saba Slayer

180 for HOW...44 for CCA CAL...?

Come on Guys...180 signed up for the HOW tourney and we've got 44 for the Battle of the Bays CCA CAL fundraiser...?

Is it the $60 registration that is keeping you anglers from supporting the tourney or did we put the date of the BoB tourney too close to the Mission Bay Classic ?

This is a fundraiser for the CCA CAL to help Defend your Fishing Rights, Protect and Enhance the Habitat, and Support the Hatchery Program..

I'm not making a cent on these events...as a matter of fact it costs me a few hundred dollars every year to produce them and many many many hours of planning, public appearances, and computer work...our sponsors have donated thousands of dollars in products and services to make this a success...

PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING THE CCA CAL...

To sign up for a tournament, go to www.battleofthebays.com

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 05-03-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:09 AM   #2
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Hard to compete.....

Against the Changgang but im in for the full monty
Most likely I'll be scraping the bottom not big on swinging

Last edited by MITCHELL; 05-01-2018 at 08:24 AM.
MITCHELL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:29 AM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

Signed UP!

Don't think I'll be able to make this one...but still will support Jim and his tournament and the CCA!

Thanks to all the sponsors that make all of our socal tournaments possible!
Old 05-01-2018, 08:19 PM   #4
jorluivil

I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to make it to the 6/9 event but I'll sign up ASAP

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:29 AM   #5
Baja_Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
Against the Changgang but im in for the full monty
Most likely I'll be scraping the bottom not big on swinging
HeHe - I commented to Derwin at the Captains meeting last Saturday if he was going to add on to his garage because of all the kayaks he is winning in these tournaments. I do admire the guy and wish I could get out as much as he does.

I also have no hope of winning, but I'll be there none the less to support CCA with my membership and participation.

Didn't last year we all have a chance at winning the Hobie i11s just for participating? This year it changed to the biggest stringer in all tournaments.
Maybe everybody gave up when they realized that Derwin's name is already on that PA12, I don't know...
Just seems like there is less incentive this year for the gamblers to win something big.

At least all this crappy weather this week is cutting into Derwins pre-fishing, so those of us that work might actually have a chance. LOL
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:03 AM   #6
Saba Slayer

Danny Jones

Baja Traveler...Thanks for supporting CCA CAL...that is what these tourneys are all about...having fun with the kayaking community and helping to fund CCA CAL...it's also about branding for the CCA...believe it or not there are still some folks that don't know what CCA is or does.

I've included live and dead bait, scents , A rigs and just about anything in the tourneys to try and "even the field".
I was hoping to work towards a Hobie Worlds qualifier with our Mission Bay Tournament but with such poor attendance for an open type tourney...it only makes me wonder if the kayaking community can support an artificial only qualifying tournament?
Hobie is watching our tourneys to see if we can get it together to bring a Worlds Qualifier to Southern California...apparenty not...!

Danny Jones is in the tourney and he bested Derwin at the Classic...
Don't go into this thinking you don't have a chance...Think positive and maybe you'll get that big bag of bass.

"Didn't last year we all have a chance at winning the Hobie i11s just for participating? This year it changed to the biggest stringer in all tournaments.
Maybe everybody gave up when they realized that Derwin's name is already on that PA12, I don't know..."
This year Hobie is giving away $1000 in accessories at each event...they thought that giving away a kayak at each tourney saturates the market with 4 free kayaks and that means that Andy and the other dealers will probably see that yak on Craigs List soon after the tourney and it's one less sale for them...It's logic I can't argue with since they are the sponsors......and the i11s was a raffle prize last year...Guess who was lucky enough to win that yak in the raffle...Derwin...LOL...!

Mr Chang will have to beat 3 other stringers caught in the other events before he claims that PA 12 and I guarantee that the other venues will have bigger bags of bass than the Mission Bay event....so don't put the Chang Gang's name on that PA yet...LOL!
There are some quality anglers aiming for Derwin at the Dana and SM Bay events.

A 16 year old kid won the biggest fish side pot...last year.....so maybe an old guy might win this year...you don't have a chance if your line's not in the water...

We all know the big Sandies live outside the bay and thats where the big bags of bass are coming from. The wind is forecast to be down in the AM and then ramp up as the day goes...so if you go outside be careful and try and get your fish in the morning.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:06 AM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

Coming down with LandWhale.........looking forward to fishing hard while supporting the cause! Shooting for BIG FISH and hopefully 3 bass to submit.......it has been foretold.

Quote:
A 16 year old kid won the biggest fish side pot...last year.....so maybe an old guy might win this year
Old 05-02-2018, 08:24 AM   #8
Iceman
Administrator

Did I get this right? Sharpie on the HAWG Trough

Old 05-02-2018, 09:49 AM   #9
skrilla

This CCA member coaches on Saturdays. If only the MB tourney date was in the summer...
Old 05-02-2018, 10:48 AM   #10
Saba Slayer

yea...

That's it Andy...the sharpie on the lines makes it easy for the judges to read it...now all you need is a few of these big Sandies on there...

Here's a couple of tips...besides marking your hang trough...use a fish grip to hold the bass while you are prepping the trough and your phone/camera for the photo...a wet towel over the fish can sometimes calm them...get a good photo and don't worry about submitting the photo immediately...you can always submit the photo later when the splashing and excitement is over or you are in calmer water....as long as your CPR submissions are time stamped before 1pm they are eligible weather or not you have returned to the launch yet....Use finger tape, as those Bass especially the Spottys are pretty spiny.
Please practice submitting a photo before the tourney to see how the rejection or acceptance messaging works. Your photo can be of anything on the hawg trough.
The night before the tourney I will delete all the practice photo submissions.
Take a took at the iAngler tourney leader board for our event with the practice photos on it and you can see how that works too.

Here is a youtube video from Mike Christopher on how to make your submissions on your phone...

Old 05-03-2018, 11:48 AM   #11
goldenglory18

Good luck to everyone that gets out there for these events. I've fished tourneys in AZ for a long time and have never seen a prize/raffle haul like I have with these BoB's. Kudos to Jim and his many hands in getting a bag like this put together...
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote