Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Finally got my gopro!

Time to have some fun. Can some of you share your DIY pole Mounts so I can get some ideas?

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #2
dorado50

Wow! that's totally awesome! All I got was a new bait net!. Enjoy........
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #3
janines.fishtales@cox.net

off the water for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
Time to have some fun. Can some of you share your DIY pole Mounts so I can get some ideas?
Hey Will!

Congrats on your new toy! I would love to try fishing your neck of the woods some time. Unfortunately I am away at training for the next two weeks, so no fishing for me for a while. Have fun filming and go get em!

J
Old 06-06-2014, 07:09 PM   #4
FishRaiden
CEO-TacticalFishingCrew.

No need for a pole Will. Just use a dust pan. Blocks the wind real well.

I really hate my GoPro:

#DropLuresNotBait
FishRaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:13 PM   #5
FISH11

i'm glad for you, that you got your Go Pro. I know the felling I wanted one for a long time and finally got one 5 weeks ago. It take a little learning. First I found it's good to mount it close enough to reach the control from your seat. The biggest reason is if you leave it on all the time it runs down your battery. The most important thing I learned is you can turn it off from the remote but that doesn't turn off the Wi Fi. In order to use the remote you need the Wi Fi on the unit, that is basically a network and so that take a lot of battery power. If you are able to reach the camera and turn the WI Fi on and off then your battery will last all day. I have 3 batteries but I don't like having to open the case in order to change the battery while out in the ocean. For a mount I first got a tripod mount the unit did not come with. That way I can put it on any tripod threaded unit. Next I purchased a bicycle handle bar mount that could be used on any camera I made 2 different lenght poles using 3/4" PVC with a 90 degree fitting at the end and about 6" of PVC at the top going horizontal so thats where I put the bicycle handle bar adaptor so that it sits off center instead of in the middle of the Kayak. 1 mount is about 36" tall the other is about 12". Either pole pushes into a 3/4" end cap that is secured to a piece of cutting board and mounted on a Scotty Fish finder mount about 4" from the botton on the pole I driled a slot about 1" long for attaching a short bungee for safety. I can put the mount on any of the Scotty mount on the Kayak and the Scotty fish finder mount rotates so I can change where the camera point. The short mount works great up frt. for face shots and the longer one is for from behind and over the shoulder shots. The slot in the PVC near bottom is when I clip a short bungee I made using the clip that OEX sell for leashes, and bungee straps. I works great and Even held up last Monday when I rolled the X13 I took out to La Jolla. Even when the kayak was upside down in the water no problem. Too bad I didn't have it on to get some of that underwater video. HA HA...
Old 06-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #6
bwana

Make sure your battery is charged so if lost it will tell a story...

Be careful of those stock mounts. I found my GoPro. I too have been trying to figure the best way and spot to mount mine on my yak.

I was walking a sandbar in Bolsa Chica trying to make bait for a friend when I skirted a dead bird in the water. Just on the other side was something circular in the sand. I dug up a GoPro.

Got it home, recharged the battery and it had 3 underwater videos on it. Apparently it came off during the US Surf Open on the south side of the HB pier. You can hear the jet skis taking the surfers back out. Then it gets stuck under the HB pier.

I found it 3 days later. During its travels it records schools of bait, croakers croaking, a shark mouthing it. It's a testament to the quality of the GoPro product that it continued to work and still does to this day.

I replaced the lens cover on the housing as it was scratch from the sand and I bought a back up battery.

I sent the videos to a friend at the DFG. She is an Environmental Scientist and got a kick out of the croakers and fish in their natural environment not affected by divers filming.

You can see the unedited videos on youtube. WARNING, it's like Where's Waldo as all videos contain a lot of shots of fish and croakers croaking, you just have to keep watching.

I never got around to a condensed version which would make for more enjoyable watching vs. staring at dead water until fish come into view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO_Qbfha2fY

A school of bait swims by at the start of this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoPSIm0nKdg

This one starts out with croakers croaking and one swimming by:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTz4sy9XE-s
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:59 PM   #7
jorluivil

I follwed Greg's lead and haven't looked back.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ighlight=mount

thread#5

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:52 PM   #8
FISH11

This is the shorter one I made to use in frt. to get all the face on and holding Fish pictures. I can use the same base and put the longer one if I want from over the sholder shot. The base is the Scotty fish finder mount base it fits any Scotty rod holder deck mount for about $14 the rest is very inexpensive PVC and some stainless steel bolts and nuts. PS> I also think you can use the base that was part of the box the camera came in if You secure the base from the box to a hatch or something else using some pop rivets like are used on eyelets, etc. That gives you 1 extra mount that doesn't stick on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140606_213906_961.jpg (28.3 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140606_213952_661.jpg (31.1 KB, 255 views)

Last edited by FISH11; 06-06-2014 at 08:57 PM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:08 PM   #9
nacho66

Will, here is one I followed. enjoy your new toy. (http://palmettokayakfishing.blogspot...rsion-for.html )

Regards, Nacho

Last edited by nacho66; 06-06-2014 at 10:08 PM. Reason: added link
nacho66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:12 AM   #10
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

I will go get some pvc today and play around a bit. Last night I got creative and made this hand crane from an old 2 piece fishing rod. Don't let how narrow it is fool you, I reinforced the inside with 2 part epoxy, then drilled through and fitted a bolt through with the same threading as the stock thumb screws. Just to be 100% safe I attached a lanyard incase of failure. It has 2 points of adjustment and will be great for getting underwater shots.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:24 AM   #11
kayachapi

GoPro camera mount

Around $15 plus paint
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_001015.jpg (54.9 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg WP_001020.jpg (49.9 KB, 174 views)
kayachapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:56 PM   #12
old_rookie

This works well on PVC tubing http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/roll-bar-mount
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #13
jorluivil

Is that a parking brake for your kayak?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #14
GregAndrew

What ever you decide, make sure to keep a close eye on your camera housing. The 3+ housings are not working well for me under water. I will not put them more than a couple feet down.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #15
FISH11

That link to the factory Go Pro roll says it's $30. WOW. The Bicycle handle bar plastic mount I got on E Bay just like the Tripod adaptor for the Go Pro Housing. Both were a bout $6 each. Walmart also has the accessories for Go Pro. If you make one of the large diameter PVC mount like a couple showed, the end cap would be large enough to attach the mount base that came on the display box during shipping. That way you dont need another mount or use up one of the adhesive ones. I've own my Hero 3+ for 5 weeks and already the lock piece (black plastic part) on the water proof case has a corner broken and with only one side holding it I'm afraid the other could brake and I would be up Sh.. Creek. I contacted Go Pro and they had me send then a picture of the part and they said they would send me a new part under warranty. Sweet, I'll feel better.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #16
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
What ever you decide, make sure to keep a close eye on your camera housing. The 3+ housings are not working well for me under water. I will not put them more than a couple feet down.
Greg, what exactly isn't working with the housing, what should I look out for? Fogging or total failure? How are you doing those deep underwater videos? Is there an aftermarket housing that is better then the one that came with the camera?

Here is a quick video I shot yesterday. I don't know why it uploaded to YouTube in such low quality. It looks amazing on my phone.

Balboa jetty, Newport Harbor: http://youtu.be/4rBW_JogogY

Old 06-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #17
YakDout
Brandon

I believe youtube has a cap for quality. Why? I couldn't tell you. But it will always lower the quality of your gopro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:58 AM   #18
kayachapi

Parking Brake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Is that a parking brake for your kayak?
It wasn't supposed to be, but I haven't been able to get my kayak moving since I made it . It's supposed to be a stablizer. My wallet makes a better brake.
kayachapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #19
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
Greg, what exactly isn't working with the housing, what should I look out for? Fogging or total failure? How are you doing those deep underwater videos? Is there an aftermarket housing that is better then the one that came with the camera?

Here is a quick video I shot yesterday. I don't know why it uploaded to YouTube in such low quality. It looks amazing on my phone.

Balboa jetty, Newport Harbor: http://youtu.be/4rBW_JogogY
\

The first new housing I got leaked from the bezel (read front glass). I put it down at about 65 feet for maybe 15 minutes and had a good bit of water around the cylinder of the lens. Another 10 minutes and the camera would have been toast. The new locking system on the top is pretty pathetic. Looks like it came out of a cracker Jack box and is almost impossible to open with wet or cold fingers. Go with the regular 3 housing, they are pretty much bomb proof and only slightly larger. Make sure you upload to YouTube at the same ratio that you filmed at. Even then, you probably converted the file from MP4 to something else, then they convert it to their format when you upload it. Makes for too many hands in the soup.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:58 PM   #20
Raskal311

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10371742_1687060624675168_1544491237638237844_n.jpg (35.1 KB, 61 views)