Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2014, 10:48 AM   #1
octico

Monday 09/29 Newport Shores run in with a Hammerhead shark

Arvil and I decided to do some rock fishing out of Newport usual depth 180-200. We were suppose to start of early but someone overslept so we did not get out into the deep until 9:30AM. Right away we start marking fish at 160 so we drop lines and I picked up a legal Sandie and a couple of tiny reds.

We got out into deeper water and things were slow, we are not marking anything so I told Arvil I will go south and tell if you I spot something. I mark some fish and drop my line waiting for a fish to bite. A few seconds later I see this big brown thing come right underneath my line. I am WTF, was that at a ... sure as shiat it was Hammerhed. At first I nervous, but not too scared, until he bumped my yak. I circled my yak a few times, and I was like cool, now go away. So he makes a last turn heads out behind me (I am watching him all the way), and I am like woo finally its gone. Just then he makes a u-turn and makes a beeline towards me only this time he is picking up speed. Just before he gets to me he dives under the bumps the rear of my yak, nothing that would make my yak flip but a bump is more than enough for me I want to get me the F out of here.

At this point I am getting a little worried so I start thinking strength in numbers, so I start heading towards Arvi and he has a GoPro. I start yelling at him there is a shark on me, he is like what? I said a SHARK. Filming begins. After that we did not want to bring fish up just to feed the shark. He circled us for a long time. At one point he made an attempt to bite Arvil's mirage drive but it his head was in the way.

We waited and waited he would not leave. It must have been an hour I tried to spook him by smacking the water as he passed up but he would not leave. Finally we decided to head in to see if he would leave us alone, but he didn't he followed us almost to the buoy. We tried going back out but it was too windy and sloppy. He looked big on the water, but after looking at the pics he was about 8-9 feet long. Hopefully Arvil will post the video.

Fish count = 2 Sand Bass 2 RockFish

The image below is Arvil's it does not do the size of the shark justice, maybe water refraction that makes it look smaller

Last edited by octico; 09-30-2014 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Incoherence
octico is offline   Reply With Quote