Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2011, 08:04 AM   #1
PAL

MLPA Closures Will Start Jan 1

Bad news. The state Office of Administrative Law signed off on the revised South Coast MLPA closures. They start Jan 1.

Quote:
SACRAMENTO -- The day Southern California’s saltwater anglers have long dreaded is now set. On January 1, vast swaths of local ocean will be officially off limits to fishing, closed under the auspices of the Marine Life Protection Act.

The giant rubber stamp of officialdom came down a week earlier than expected. In a decision dated December 8 and revealed late on Monday, the California Office of Administrative Law approved the long disputed regulations.

Say your farewells now. Come the new year, iconic spots such as Malibu’s Pt. Dume, south La Jolla, the majority of the Laguna shore, and many other locations will close. For a better idea of the lost areas, visit WON’s exclusive MLPA South Coast Closure Maps. WON staff will update them to reflect any changes, which should be relatively minor.

Keep in mind that a hundred feet this direction or that could lead to legal complications once the curtain comes down. The fine print is critically important. Read carefully to check on permitted activities. Some otherwise closed areas allow fishing for fin bait or spear fishing.

If the administrative fight is over, at least for now, the Partnership for Sustainable Oceans hasn't thrown in the towel in the court battle. The coalition of angling advocacy groups continues to weigh its options following an October setback. Donate to the legal fund via the Ocean Access Protection Fund (www.oceanaccessprotectionfund.org ).
Source: http://www.wonews.com/Blog.aspx?id=1...20START%20DATE
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
deepdvr

FUGGGG.......Guess it wasn't really a big surprise. Thanks to all who put in time, money, etc., to fight this B.S.

Unfortunately, it won't stop here.

So bummed about Blacks. Guess I'll have to wait for those super socked-in June Gloom days to go look for those big old pelagic fin bait that patrol those waters.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

bummer.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:30 AM   #4
StinkyMatt

Serious question:

If I am kayaking in a closed to fishing area with fishing gear on my kayak but NOT actively fishing, am I OK?

If someone KNOWS the answer please help us out.

Thanks, Matt
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:36 AM   #5
bellcon

Speechless in anger

Matt
yes you can
Old 12-13-2011, 08:41 AM   #6
-scallywag-
Banned

Thanks for everything Paul!

a sad day indeed, I'm not sure how those mass email where able to rectify all the shortcomings the OAL sited.

Wasn't one of the many issues the OAL had with the whole thing something about the commission not listening to all the public speakers? How does an email solve that?

As for enforcement I heard up north the are using DFG agents in choppers with cameras/gps and other officers stopping the boat at the launch...also using GPS histories as evidence.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:45 AM   #7
Jim Sammons LJKF

If you have not really looked at the detailed boundaries Paul has them nicely defined in this article including pictures with landmarks. You do have to scroll down the page a bit to see it.
http://www.wonews.com/Blog.aspx?id=9...lusive-maps%20

I say we do an Occupy La Jolla on Jan 1.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Thanks Paul, if it weren't for you and MJ, we'd all be fishing Mission Bay for spotties Jan 1st....

A lot of great reefs will be missed from souh LJ, as well as, those big northern
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:16 AM   #9
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
I say we do an Occupy La Jolla on Jan 1.
I'm with Jim!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:36 AM   #10
mtnbykr2

Thank you for all of the effort put in by everyone, especially to Paul for keeping on it and keeping us all informed to fight these "over paid underworked pork bellies"
In a world full of legitimate issues that need to be addressed, this is a perfect example of government waste, and the corruption that oozes from
their very pores...come election time I hope that everyone joins together to vote all of these people out of their "gravy train" cushy seats, wherever they may be...how can anyone have any respect for anything that these people do, say or stand for any longer..."they pledge alliegance to the
CORRUPTION of the united states of america...sad...disappointing...discouraging,,,no more words...
I will still back the fight, I hope everyone else will too...

"it is in the handbasket"
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #11
T Bone

Unbelievable that Kalifornia wasted so much time and money on this when there was so many better places for them to put their resources.

Wade, do you still have your old Yak for this occaision?

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:54 AM   #12
RK

Its a shame yellowtail look so much like overgrown hybrid spanish macs

I mean.........

"coastal pelagic finbait"

Thanks Paul and everyone for everything we just wanna go fishing..........
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:05 AM   #13
YakMedic

I'm so mad I could kick a baby.

Thanks Paul for all the work you put in. I need to hit BKR one last time before this BS kicks in.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #14
wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Unbelievable that Kalifornia wasted so much time and money on this when there was so many better places for them to put their resources.

Wade, do you still have your old Yak for this occaision?
YES, I do still have the Wade-Mobile!
(I am only borrowing this HOBIE, and cannot loose it in property seizure.)
I have quite a few plans all set for 2012. The bail $$ isnt set yet thou..

If any of you have watched the TV show Wild Justice, the State has all kinds of little toys to carefully watch us with...

& Thats why I will Occupy LJ 365, not just on the 1st.
Give em a run for their for $$. They will need it...
DO NOT BUY A 2012 CALIFORNIA FISHING/HUNTING LICENSE,
*Or wait was long as humanly possible, before purchasing one.
Many of you buy licenses months in advance before embarking on your adventures. Do not feed the swine.

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:12 AM   #15
PAL

There's a lot to say, but for now I'll leave it at this:

That we kept ANY part of La Jolla open was due to the unprecedented group effort by passionate kayak anglers and spear divers. If we hadn't fought that rearguard action, it would have been a clean sweep at LJ.

You can travel through MPAs with fishing gear on board but not in use.

The MPA maps in my WON story need another close look. There's a chance some of the boundaries have shifted slightly over the past two rounds of tweaks. Because you can legally fish right up to the line but not over, it's important to get it right. The DFG has used inaccurate spotting methods to enforce MPAs up north. Don't rely on my maps, it's your ass on the line.

No one outside the DFG knows with certainty how they will enforce the MPAs in the short term. They may start off with warnings. They may not. ALSO - the Jan 1 start date may not have the force of law. The state Administrative Procedures Act sets a 30-day timetable for new regulations to go into effect. That would put the date at Jan 8, not the 1st, but you better be ready to fight a citation in court. We may know more about this by the end of the week.

What happened at Dume in Malibu is a disgusting travesty. It's the same in Laguna. Those cities will never see dime one from me. I feel the same about Zev Yaroslavsky's LA County 3rd district. It's Malibu and part of the San Fernando Valley. Dead to me. Don't forget Surfrider's involvement, or Heal the Bay, San Diego Coastkeeper, the Monterey Bay Aquarium, and so on.

That's enough for now.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:27 AM   #16
Regor
Greg

My question is - How can "the man" enforce such a boundary without officially marking (as the buoys do now)?

Just by throwing out a bunch of coordinates doesn't do a thing for non-GPS boats/kayaks.

Seems that until they are marked (if marked), this will be hard to enforce in front of a judge.

Any legal precedence?
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #17
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
What happened at Dume in Malibu is a disgusting travesty. It's the same in Laguna. Those cities will never see dime one from me. I feel the same about Zev Yaroslavsky's LA County 3rd district. It's Malibu and part of the San Fernando Valley. Dead to me. Don't forget Surfrider's involvement, or Heal the Bay, San Diego Coastkeeper, the Monterey Bay Aquarium, and so on.
That's enough for now.
I would love to see a "Black-list" of some sort we can refer to when it comes to this. I for one cannot remember all of the names & organizations who railed us with this. Mods, anyway we can get a sticky page with this info on it?
Old 12-13-2011, 11:36 AM   #18
Rocket
Junior

Wow unbelievable bs! So sorry my socal brothers. We have had similiar threats here in Hawaii, we need to pay attention to what has happened here and prepare to fight it also. Very scary to see it all go down now as it will most likey be an example our local government pays a lot of attention to. Keep fighting!
Old 12-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #19
mtnbykr2

[QUOTE=blitzburgh;102558]I would love to see a "Black-list" of some sort we can refer to when it comes to this. I for one cannot remember all of the names & organizations who railed us with this. Mods, anyway we can get a sticky page with this info on it?[/QUOTE

I think a "black list" is a great idea, if we could get a list of all involved in this BS travesty so as to be able to vote them out, as well as keep an eye on their shananigans, interests and organizations, maybe we can
take care of some business that way
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:05 PM   #20
Iceman
Administrator

They are counting on $50,000,000 to come from our license purchases. I think a boycott and some fundraising to pay anyone fined may be an avenue to kick em in the nuts.