Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #21
StinkyMatt

Well written Tony.
A little extra info.

As we are launching I look at the sets that Greg and Tony decided to brave and think to myself " those are pretty big, I'll wait a little for it to mellow out". I wait....wait....wait and wait. I know that there is a smaller set coming. Not today, they keep getting bigger. Crap! I didn't drive two hours to watch the seagulls. Here we go.....never made it past the first wave, closed up nicely on my head. My kayak somehow got righted by another wave and washed up on the beach only twenty feet from my bait tank. Ok, time to pack it up. Crap! I'm too stubborn. Place broken tank in the truck. Since I only had one more set of dry clothes I put them in a dry bag and went half naked into the launch part 2. Paddle like a crazy man. Holy cow! I made it! WSB here I come! Got dressed on the yak and pull up to the others.

An hour later,

I hear George calling from shore on the radio, something along these lines:

George ". Hey guys you out there? This surf looks pretty big."

Me. " it's really not that bad, we all made it out just fine...... Just time it right, see you out here in a few."

5 minutes later....

Me. ". George, do you copy? Come in George."

5 more minutes......

" I got tossed, I don't think it's gonna happen."

Me " Comon George, don't be a p&@@$, try again, just time it better. We got WSB all over the fish finder."

15 minutes later.....

George. ". F$&@ this! What time does OEX open up? I need a new rudder. See you guys later."

We did not get any Wsb but had a blast playing with the snot sticks.

Coming in I was sweating it just a little. As I approach the beach I'm thinking "why are there so many surfers out here? Must be a great surf spot. Crap."

I am getting ready to come in and notice all the surfers sitting on their boards getting ready for the "show". One guy yells "Go now!". Screw it, surfers know the surf better then I do. I manage to outrun, outmaneuver the big sets outside and make it to within 10 of the beach when a smaller wave shore breaks on my ass. I wash up unhurt at the feet of a LA county lifeguard smiling at me and my friends collecting my gear on the sand.

A couple of bait tank straps/ buckles, a hat and a crappy old cell phone, small price to pay for a fun day with friends.

At the truck we totaled the damage for all of us and I think it came up to about $2500. And some pride.

Stupid WSB.

A few days later........

We came back and got some revenge.......Or was it a few days earlier.....All the saltwater in the brain confuses me....

Last edited by StinkyMatt; 12-17-2012 at 03:44 PM.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #22
ful-rac
Emperor

No that was the trip before that steevo got taken out on. That was a story in of itself. Went something like this....Look out steevo!!! huh?? AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Smash..! Crash!!! Splash!!!
Old 12-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #23
StinkyMatt

If the swell is predicted to be more than 6 inches....I'm NOT going to that place again.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #24
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Man when i asked you guys about this story last year, it did not have all this intensity... It was like...O we bailed out because we were not going to make. it.....

this was more like A CASTASTROPHE and I WAS NOT THERE TO FILM IT!!!!!!

AWH well theres always next year

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #25
buttchaser
Float Tuber

Fun day to remember , Good stories guys !
I just wanted to add that " Roby" is one hell of a swimmer
buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #26
danjor

When I launched at Leo Carrillo last Tuesday (in flat waves, like a lake) I paddled up past county line and over there were huge waves! Why did you launch up by the surfers and the big waves?
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #27
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjor View Post
When I launched at Leo Carrillo last Tuesday (in flat waves, like a lake) I paddled up past county line and over there were huge waves! Why did you launch up by the surfers and the big waves?

Funny thing is that when I showed up there was a few surfers on the waters edge asking themselves if they should surf. Meanwhile, I preparing to launch in what was the largest set of waves I have ever stumbled upon since I started kayaking.

PAL, to answer your question........YES, there was a very hot bite going on and I think, no wait, I know that that's the reason we made the attempt. I never made it out but the cost of my repairs where probably the least of the group, mostly because of some guy they call Iceman.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #28
RobFish
Massive Member

Hey there PAL,
It was nice to meet you on the sand in LJ on Tuesday as well.
As far as beer lollipops go, we have them, but only the root variety.
I do know of a recipe for hops flavored ones, but what's the point in that.
That would be like a nun with D cups.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #29
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
Oh, you're THAT Drake.?
There's more than one?
Old 12-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #30
PAL

Quote:
I do know of a recipe for hops flavored ones, but what's the point in that.
Oh shiz, I'm cracking up.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #31
RobFish
Massive Member

Originally Posted by PAL...Oh, you're THAT Drake.?
Originally posted by Drake..There's more than one?

Impossible. The world can only handle one Drake. No really, one's enough.

Originally Posted by PAL...Oh shiz, I'm cracking up.

Glad to bring a smile to your face. That's about all I'm good for...lollipops and laughs. Yup, that about covers it.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #32
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobFish View Post
Impressive analogy....

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #33
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Hey boys, we weren't suppose to talk about that trip....

Whatever happens in Malibu stays in Malibu.

Wait...or was it The Islander....or maybe Mammoth.....or Irvine......or?

Good times
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:22 AM   #34
GregAndrew

I don't think that Minh broke his paddle. I think he was one of the lucky ones that forgot his paddle and a battery and turned arround before he started. Yep, when I saw Tony parallel to the shore about 10 inches outside the break point of an 8 foot swell, I was sure he was toast. Right until he popped up over that sucker. John sounded like me when I saw my first 25# Halibut (I think this is big... I think this is big... This is BIG!!!). He had me jealous for a few months. And Tony was as happy as a kid in a candy store out there slaying Cuda. Props to the guys that got tossed and made it out anyways. When I reached the beach unscathed, a sunbather asked "So what is the difference between you and them?" I answered " Lots of practice, or it could be that they did not wait for the surfers to say the set is over, go now".
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote