Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
Fiskadoro

Big waters Edge Attacks!

Mozzila Firefox now says BWE is infested with spyware!!! Just started.... "Reported Attack Page! This web page at www.bigwatersedge.com has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences. Attack pages try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system. Some attack pages intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners....." Oddly the Safe Browsing report says it's clean: "....Safe Browsing Diagnostic page for www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb What is the current listing status for www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb? This site is not currently listed as suspicious. What happened when Google visited this site? Of the 5 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 0 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2010-10-12, and suspicious content was never found on this site within the past 90 days. This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS6939 (HURRICANE). Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware? Over the past 90 days, www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites. Has this site hosted malware? No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days...." Hmmmmmmm... Anyone know what this is about? Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
toman8r
Junior

I just got a similar message while using the Google Chrome browser. Strange.

Edit: While viewing another thread my AVG antivirus said it blocked some attack.
toman8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
roadx

i just received a warning from firefox too frick'n greenie pricks
Old 10-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
WahooUSMA

Me too.....

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Nothing happening on my Win7 computer using IE8 with AVG. I do not have my security settings set to paranoid however.

Guys who have had a problem might try dialing down the security level a touch to see what happens.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #6
roadx

bob

you are correct if i uncheck (under tools/options/security's) block reported attack sites it goes away.

but the question is why now is this coming up and never before??
Old 10-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

Ditto folks - THANKS!

Spam sanitation dept is on it.

If it's not damn spam bots, it's spam something else.

Internet, wild place.

Gallery has been hacked into.
Each image was replaced with the link to their spam site.
Google and other services behind browsers catch this,
lots of us clicking on the red X pics trying to display them.
The link itself is down, the fact it's shady content is known,
attempt to reach it in good numbers from BWE has been detected.
So they dispplay a warning.

It seems these forums gets attacked every couple of years.
Back in early 90ies, we lost the whole BWE database, all posts. Years worth of early chatter.
No one was really taking care of it, there was no backup.

Images are safe, no worries, no pics have been lost.

We'd like to use this opportunity to inform Greek forum members
that their computer crashing has absolutely nothing to do with their BWE gallery pics disappearing.
While both unfortunate events, BWE is safe but dunno about pics on your home computer. Hope you had backup.

Spam links will be gone soon
we are working on it.

Gallery and attachment upload ability will be disabled until we upgrade things, plug the holes they are exploiting.

Bare with us, we'll keep you posted.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
hatchetman

Blocked by the power of Google! Advisory provided by Google Safe Browsing Diagnostic page for bigwatersedge.com What is the current listing status for bigwatersedge.com? Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer. What happened when Google visited this site? Of the 6 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 0 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2010-10-12, and suspicious content was never found on this site within the past 90 days. Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware? Over the past 90 days, bigwatersedge.com did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites. Has this site hosted malware? No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days. How did this happen? In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message. Next steps: * Return to the previous page. * If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Center Funny, no problems, no malicious software, no issues at all, so lets block them because something could happen. Sounds like our president.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadx View Post
bob

you are correct if i uncheck (under tools/options/security's) block reported attack sites it goes away.

but the question is why now is this coming up and never before??
Yes, you can stop the warning doing that,
but you shouldn't have to.

Do not mess with browser security configuration for this.
A warning will go away.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #10
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchetman View Post
Center Funny, no problems, no malicious software, no issues at all, so lets block them because something could happen. Sounds like our president.

LOL

Please no political agenda.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:27 PM   #11
Billy V

I had a hard time logging on here. I went into my computers preferences and turned off the - Fraudulent Websites Warning.

When does the Google block end ?
Old 10-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #12
romspacenut

I've been cruising around the site for about 20 minutes and haven't gotten the warning. The weird thing is that I when I clicked on search results in google, I did get the warning.
romspacenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:56 AM   #13
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

We should be good soon,
the gallery has been cleaned up.

Status of the latest badware review for this site:
A review for this site has finished. The site was found clean. The badware warnings from web search are being removed. Please note that it can take some time for this change to propagate.

Ability to uplad attachments and pictures is temporarily disabled up until we upgrade Gallery software.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:50 AM   #14
GregAndrew

Way to get and stay on top of it BWE. I was having the same message last night and now it is gone.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #15
Willy

Microsoft today released three major security patches due to some rally icky virus going around the world.

The same virus that made it into the Iranian Nuke facility.

These updates are for all Microsoft OS's and likely changed somthing in BWE's config, and I think the virus was a spyware type insert. No doubt AVG installed it for you. The update that is...not the virus

Could be a coincidence.

Great work on keeping the BWE site fresh and clean.

Willy
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:44 AM   #16
bmercury

If you are getting some warnings its possible you need to install some security plugins for firefox. Some of my favorites: noscript, beef taco, adblock plus, better privacy. Also make sure you keep windows updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadx View Post
i just received a warning from firefox too frick'n greenie pricks
what are you on about?

Last edited by bmercury; 10-13-2010 at 11:25 AM.
bmercury is offline   Reply With Quote