Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Exclamation got an email response from the Gov'na today...

Even after reading it, I can still hear him say 'Cali-for-neeans'...

Pretty generic and didn't address any of my concerns...oh well, it's a start...

Surprised he didn't add a 'PS - your IOU is coming soon...'

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me on the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA). I always love hearing from Californians who share my passion for protecting our environment.

The biodiversity and beauty of California's ocean waters and marine ecosystems are truly amazing. While California has long been the leader in protecting its natural resources, today our ocean waters remain critically threatened by coastal development, water pollution and other human activities. We have a responsibility to act now to protect our oceans for future generations.

Under my direction, the Resources Agency created a Blue Ribbon Task Force to fully implement the MLPA, which charges the state to create and manage a network of marine-protected areas in order to safeguard and restore our marine habitats and ecosystems. The protected areas created by the MLPA demonstrate what can be done when everyone - businesses, environmentalists and politicians - works together.

If you would like more information on the MLPA and the protected areas along California's coast, please visit the Department of Fish and Game's website at www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/mlpa.

Again, thank you for contacting me and adding your voice to this important issue. California's environmental health and the health of our ocean depend on people like you who take an active interest in the future of our great state and its natural resources.

Sincerely,

Arnold Schwarzenegger

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
Billy V

You humans don't get it.

"The Skynet Funding Bill is passed. The system goes on-line August 4th, 1997. Human decisions are removed from strategic defense. Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug."

-The Terminator
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #3
comrad_zeelaagee

it's oozing with sincerity. my heart overfloweth with pride that someone has such rational ideas about interests such as our oceanic resources is in office.

am curious to know what that original email was, martin- if you don't mind sharing?

andy
comrad_zeelaagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:36 PM   #4
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Dang Andy, haven't heard from you in a while...

Right here...as you can see, you are right on with

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...etter+governor

Dear Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger,

I am writing you regarding the future of California in regards to the Marine Life Protection Act.

I am a California taxpayer and a single parent. With the economy the way it is, my son and I rely on access to our fishing grounds, not only for healthy enjoyment, but to sustain ourselves. We are environmentalists. We take only what we plan to use. Decisions made will have a disastrous effect on us and our livelihood.

How can you actually allow the MLPA process to move forward when the public knows it is clearly one-sided, filled with conflict of interest issues, inadequate data, and false information?

The MLPA brochure clearly states this;

"The MLPA requires the state to examine and redesign California's system of marine protected areas, with extensive public input."

That is clearly misleading, akin to false advertising. That, Governor, is not how this process is actually happening. It is filled with inadequate data and selective years for the studies, especially regarding optimum kelp habitat.

I have attended numerous meetings along with my 9-year old son so he can see first hand the workings of our government and how this process could potentially affect him. At these meetings, our public comment is limited to one minute. And this is considered extensive public input?

There is no data available on how this will affect everyone from recreational anglers, bait shops, tackle stores, boat dealers, seafood retailers, kayak and diving gear dealers, and the thousands of people employed in these businesses at a time when the state is broke and cutting benefits, closing state parks and beaches, and downsizing the DFG.

The process being pushed forward at breakneck speed, with amendments to proposals being submitted at the last minute with the science data not completely accurate and fully completed, the constant shifting and changing of rules, has caused a distrusting public to doubt the credibility of the whole MLPA process and those in charge.

Again, I have attended numerous MLPA meetings, and see first hand the misleading of the public to expediate the process. It is not a process with extensive public input; the public is controlled on their time for input, have no say in the voting process, are told to not say anything negative or question statements of the MLPA board members, we the public are not even allowed to address the board members for specific answers to our concerns.

I ask you, how can this be considered a fair process, with extensive public input, if we are not allowed to address our concerns, essentially having no say regarding how this will affect us?

I ask that this process be paused to allow for the science and socio-economic data to catch up so that informed decisions can be made that will benefit the state of California and its people.

Sincerely,

Martin Craig Harding
Encinitas, California
San Diego County
A concerned consumptive/environmentalist

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #5
comrad_zeelaagee

good on ya' martin!

i wish i had been in th loop earlier- i would have been happy to attend.

i've been underground from most things over the past year with a very significant yard renovation that consumed the entirety of my summer last year and has still lingered on. the good news is that the light is at the end of the tunnel. sod to go in ground within a week- and i will soon be parking my ass in the yak whenever possible until the baby is due in mid september... maybe even a little more as i'll be on leave from work for a while and the mom & mother inlaw are lending a hand.

i'll read up some more on the issue and get involved. it's good to be back... with a new and updated screen name.

hope all is well with you and clay.
comrad_zeelaagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #6
Zed
BANNED

BTW it's Caulifoneeeans.
Like cauliflower.

Quote:
If you would like more information on the MLPA and the protected areas along California's coast, please visit the Department of Fish and Game's website at www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/mlpa.
No $hit? Really? Just that paragraph is insulting, given what you wrote to him. It's obvious you knew what you were talking about. Sheesh.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
CurtyL

One reason this Govenor is an utter failure is because he lets this kind of response out, unedited - probably never even saw it. Clearly he does not understand enough about the MLPA intiative and where it's at today to provide insghtful comment. You'd think his speech and letter writers would at least want to provide the taxpayers the smallest clue that he's up to date on these issues. I could have taken 30 seconds to read the mission statement of the MLPA and drafted the same horse-shit reply. In my job, if I let something out (from a huge RFP to a tiny e-mail) before giving it a full QC, I'd probably be fired. Yet, we allow these fools to run the 7th largest econmoy in the world.
CurtyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:45 AM   #8
T-Rex

Very lame response...but at least you got a response.

I've sent letters and emails to the governor, senators and assemblymen both in and outside my district. So far not a single reply from any of these political knuckleheads.
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:19 AM   #9
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

The only responses I have gotten to my letters and emails is automated email returns with generic "thanks for your concerns blah, blah, blah"

Calling some of the reps numbers has gotten some time to speak to one of their field reps one on one.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:24 AM   #10
Gino

Its an automated response.... i got the exact same e-mail....twice...

the govenor does not care about fisherman.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #11
GregAndrew

It is sad that the MLPA process started with the objectives of reducing the impact of "costal development, water pollution and other harmful human activities" and has turned into exclusively antifishing. And worst for us is that they lumped us kayakers into the same group as commercial trawlers. Apparantly the govenators staff still think they are fighting the good fight.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #12
CurtyL

I got my response back from the Govenator today - strange, it was a little different:

"Dear Curty L,

Thank you for sharing your conerns about the MLPA. As I am focused on fucking up much bigger issues our state is facing right now, I do not have the time to fuck up yours, or to comment on how I may or may not fuck it up in the future. I'm sure you understand. There is nothing you can do about it anyway, you're stuck with me. The next jackass who takes the job will be just as bad. Trust me.

Sincerely
The Honorable
Arnold Schwarzenegger,
Govenor"

At least he was honest.......
CurtyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #13
nunyabizness1
Maggie

Nice letter you wrote Martin.
nunyabizness1 is offline   Reply With Quote