Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2016, 09:52 PM   #1
2-Stix

night time - malibu

Me and a partner put in at 4:30-5:00pm got off around 10:15+/-. Good bait, all sizes and types, pretty big swells to work around, but with long periods it was a waiting game we lucked out on. We were very lucky coming back in in total pitch darkness to thread the needle and hop off in knee deep water. Managed one 15" calico off squid. Cold and wet, then the wind picked up and we had small white caps over the bow. We called it early with the wind and started the haul back heading into the caps. It was a long cold road back.

Last edited by 2-Stix; 02-14-2016 at 01:30 PM.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:24 AM   #2
Caseym

Night, waves, kayaks for little bass?? Youre braver than me!
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:40 AM   #3
taggermike

That's showing some commitment. Dark landing thru big waves is dicey. Actually Except for fish it sounds like things went well. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:51 AM   #4
kayakfisherman

That's ballsy!! Great effort!
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #5
2-Stix

my partner had his ear to the sets, and with the long periods we had a good chance. he called out, lets go and we both just humped it in full blast. we continue to hear that was pushing it from a few other guys, but this is the safest sport that each of us do. doesn't mean we can't get caught in a really bad situation...the ocean doesn't have a mercy button.

i almost went down a few months back at anacapa island. big winds, big swells, 35' boat, 4 of us, lost a motor when we rolled a big swell to 40 degrees and the prop came out and reved to 8k and blew off the radiator cap, we needed shelter and a dropped anchor to see what was up, could only steer the direction we didn't want to go, the wind and waves pushed us right where we needed to go, 3 maydays from other boats that day, only us, the coast guard and a broke down boat waiting for vessel assist at santa cruz islands yellow banks. we almost capsized, it was bad. thank god everything bad went as well as possible and we came out alive. had the go bag out, deployed the yaks, wetsuits on and life vests, beacons. it sucked bad. worst extended amount of fear i have ever had. the weather report was off. we got our asses handed to us. up all night on anchor watch, didn't sleep a bit. terrible type II fun.

Last edited by 2-Stix; 02-14-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:45 PM   #6
TJones

You got balls

And balls is all it takes . Searching for a coastal tanker so you can turn the locals out ?
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:56 PM   #7
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Stix View Post
my partner had his ear to the sets, and with the long periods we had a good chance. he called out, lets go and we both just humped it in full blast. we continue to hear that was pushing it from a few other guys, but this is the safest sport that each of us do. doesn't mean we can't get caught in a really bad situation...the ocean doesn't have a mercy button.

i almost went down a few months back at anacapa island. big winds, big swells, 35' boat, 4 of us, lost a motor when we rolled a big swell to 40 degrees and the prop came out and reved to 8k and blew off the radiator cap, we needed shelter and a dropped anchor to see what was up, could only steer the direction we didn't want to go, the wind and waves pushed us right where we needed to go, 3 maydays from other boats that day, only us, the coast guard and a broke down boat waiting for vessel assist at santa cruz islands yellow banks. we almost capsized, it was bad. thank god everything bad went as well as possible and we came out alive. had the go bag out, deployed the yaks, wetsuits on and life vests, beacons. it sucked bad. worst extended amount of fear i have ever had. the weather report was off. we got our asses handed to us. up all night on anchor watch, didn't sleep a bit. terrible type II fun.
Im pretty sure me and steveooo were listening to that on vhf from out off Dana Point. Glead it ended well. Sounded sketch.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:05 PM   #8
2-Stix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Im pretty sure me and steveooo were listening to that on vhf from out off Dana Point. Glead it ended well. Sounded sketch.
it was november 28-29. not fun. not fun at all. there was a buzz in the marina's up here for awhile about it all. vessel assist came out to help one boat but it was to treacherous so they returned the next day. we were seconds away from mayday and looking for a place to ground the boat and bail out. i dont need anymore of those stories. 2015 had a lot of heavy situations i dont need again in the mountains, on the trail and in the sea.

Last edited by 2-Stix; 02-14-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:14 PM   #9
2-Stix

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
And balls is all it takes . Searching for a coastal tanker so you can turn the locals out ?
just fishing. my dad hiked 12 miles Thursday for trout and said...it was a beautiful day. my childhood was always a grind, so this is just sort of normal for me. i appreciate the credit but my balls are nothing compared to the guy that kicked all the way to catalina.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:15 PM   #10
YakDout
Brandon

You should think about upgrading your life insurance policy. Glad you made it out.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 04:38 PM   #11
2-Stix

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
You should think about upgrading your life insurance policy. Glad you made it out.
agreed. my son turns 3 in April and my wife keeps telling me to do that. i hate giving blood and the last time i got a policy i about passed out with the blood test. my wife bought me the In-Reach beacon when i started the big mountaineering projects and dirtbike races were getting a bit out of control. i feel safe about it all now. shit happens. i have been stuck overnight in the desert with a broke down bike and pinned down in the mountains by weather at 12k feet, not planned. the guys i run with are 10x gnarlier than me so i guess i dont feel like i am pushing it much. we all have comforts and abilities. i am very conservative about what i am doing. but no matter what that darn wind can kick up or a shark can snack on me and we go from type I to type II, for heavens sake never type III fun. part of my deal is i dont like crowds, so if you raise the stakes, people disappear.

Last edited by 2-Stix; 02-14-2016 at 06:22 PM.