Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #1
BigLouSD
Junior

08/12/17 Out with the Sea Samurai

Been wanting to kayak fish off La Jolla for some time, but with no gear and limited time it's been hard. Wanted to get some time on the water prior to making the big step of buying my own kayak to make sure I liked it. So I reserved the services of Ken "TheKid" aka The Sea Samurai so that I could learn how it's done. Arrived to La Jolla at 6:00am knowing that we were in for a long day on the water. He told me the bait would be secured early and the Yellowtail later in the day. Everything held true to form just as Kevin had said. A long day of paddling, working different depths, lots of story telling on the water, lots of wildlife to observe. A great day to say the least. Towards the end of the day I was able to reel in my very first Yellowtail after wrestling it out of the kelp. 40 inches long and estimated at 30 pounds, I think it qualifies as a quality mossback. If you want to know how it's done or maybe get some feedback to how you've been doing it versus how he does it, hook up with Kevin and secure his services, he is definitely the man!
Attached Images

BigLouSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:24 PM   #2
blitzburgh

Very cool! Congratulations
Old 08-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #3
JayDee
Junior

That is awesome!

I too just got a new kayak and called Sea Samurai but unfortunately he is completely booked for August and September already.

Definitely will need to do this before i try to venture to the kelps on my own.
JayDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:13 PM   #4
FISH11

Congrats, really nice fish. As slow as thing have been with the water temps, etc., it pays to be patient and a lot of the yellows caught recently have been later in the day. Getting guided by Kevin is a great way to turbo up the learning curve. Now you're provably hooked.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:55 PM   #5
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee View Post
That is awesome!

I too just got a new kayak and called Sea Samurai but unfortunately he is completely booked for August and September already.

Definitely will need to do this before i try to venture to the kelps on my own.
Try darkhorse.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:06 AM   #6
BigLouSD
Junior

The experience was great, I know from reading other posts that I can't always expect it to go that well. Truth be told it was a lot of work and that was with Kevin's help. Im well aware that doing it alone would be another story. I look forward to fishing a few more times out in La Jolla before I commit to becoming a regular on the circuit, but I can understand why so many people are in love with the sport. As Kevin told me, "there are easier ways to catch fish for food, this is a sport..." After this guided experience I truly respect the sport and all of you out on the water regularly honing your craft. Good luck, tight lines and here's to lots of hook ups.
BigLouSD is offline   Reply With Quote