Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Transducer Question

At the moment I have my transducer (Eagle Cuda 300) attached to the sail mast inside the hull of my Hobie Revolution. I add water in the kayak and I'm set.

Question: I'm making a foam "container" to hold the transducer and water. In the picture below, would the transducer still be able to get an image or do I need to make the cutout of the transducer bigger. I wanted to make it a tight fit, but only if I could still get an image...

Thanks.

roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

It should work fine that way as long as you have a solid or liquid connection to the hull. Water works great but can leak away. I have switched to using marine grease which works just as well. Just smear about an 1/8" layer to the bottom of your transducer and shove it into the hole you created in the foam. The grease will act like glue holding your transducer to the hull.

The advantage of the grease is that once you rig everything up, you can forget it. You do not ever have to worry if there is water in your well. I store my yak upside down and even after being stored in this position for a couple of months, the transducer still sends and receives perfectly.

Other types of greases will probably work but marine grease does not flow even at temperatures over 300 degrees. A yak stored set in the sun can get very hot inside so greases that liquefy at lower temperatures could get a bit messy.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

"Other types of greases will probably work but marine grease does not flow even at temperatures over 300 degrees. A yak stored set in the sun can get very hot inside so greases that liquefy at lower temperatures could get a bit messy.

Bob[/QUOTE]

Bob,
I haven't tried the grease yet, but it sounds like a great idea.

But there is something you should know about m"marine" grease. Some but not all, marine grease is waterproof and does not liquefy when it comes in contact with water. Make sure the grease is "waterproof" so when you do get water inside your yak the waterproof grease won't liquefy and lube up the inside of your yak and get things messy.

Here is my bungie set-up that works great for me. I have a Hobie Outfitter and I have located the transducer in the lowest part of my yak. Here is what under my seat looks like....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_17_11 013.jpg (54.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 1_17_11 009.jpg (50.6 KB, 55 views)
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
Jimmyz123

I did something similar to that with mine, I made a cutout in some packing foam and used Marine Goop to glue it down. I've had not trouble with it receiving a signal. My only issue is that I think the FF is old and needs to be upgraded. I'm saving up for a Cuda 350.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote