Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
old_rookie

Anyone hoop during daylight hours?

I know they crawl at night, just wondering if it has been tried during the day and has it been successfull?
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
jorluivil

I tried it a few weeks ago when they were crawling like crazy but I got nada on a 45min soak. Reset every trap at 1720(sunset) in the same locations and gave them a pull shortly after 1800, it was game on..........limits in under 90min after the sun went bye bye.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
I know they crawl at night, just wondering if it has been tried during the day and has it been successfull?
I've done it. Sometimes you can get a few stragglers right at dawn, but you can actually have good success if your hooping in really really dirty water.

It's a food vrs risk equation.

Bugs come out at night because their predators have more trouble seeing them in the dark. In daylight they can be seen clearly against the sand by such predators as sharks black seabass or seals.

The more light be it a full moon or sunlight that you have the closer they want to stay to the safety of their holes.

The exception is extremely dirty water, because the predators can't see them in pea soup conditions, they then feel comfortable scavenging food even in the daylight, and since they scavenge using their sense of smell the dirty water doesn't slow them down or inhibit their ability to feed.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
wade

Quote:
it is successful especially if your dropin' on the said structure / reefs/holes.
(in their face) Vs. looking for a true crawl..
I have had to learn a few areas in San Diego that way because its more treacherous at night. I did point loma and sunset cliffs that way when i first moved here.. then the same for the Carlsbad reef just recently..sometimes when i have to claim a spot, like in Dp, i will pull occasionally, or hours even before sunset and have gotten a couple lucky bold ones..

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
Saba Slayer

Bugs

What Jim Day said X2.

"I've done it. Sometimes you can get a few stragglers right at dawn, but you can actually have good success if your hooping in really really dirty water.
It's a food vrs risk equation.
Bugs come out at night because their predators have more trouble seeing them in the dark. In daylight they can be seen clearly against the sand by such predators as sharks black seabass or seals.
The more light be it a full moon or sunlight that you have the closer they want to stay to the safety of their holes.
The exception is extremely dirty water, because the predators can't see them in pea soup conditions, they then feel comfortable scavenging food even in the daylight, and since they scavenge using their sense of smell the dirty water doesn't slow them down or inhibit their ability to feed."

Just look for the right conditions. Earlier in the season it's always easier to find them in the shallows...a lot of the Bugs are starting to move deep now and I usually find only Crabs when I hoop deep during the day.
Good Luck!

Jim / Saba Slayer
Saba Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I tried it a few weeks ago when they were crawling like crazy but I got nada on a 45min soak. Reset every trap at 1720(sunset) in the same locations and gave them a pull shortly after 1800, it was game on..........limits in under 90min after the sun went bye bye.

You make it sound very easy. I'm just not set up for night time kayak trips.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:41 PM   #7
yaknewb

daylight hooping

hey man if you head out in the day to hoop id be glad to tag along im not set up for night either and im kinda new to it.
yaknewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
Saba Slayer

lites?

What's to set up? ?
You just need an all around white light that sticks up high enough to be seen and a buddy to hoop with. Oh yea...and some nice warm clothes this time of year...although this week looks pretty nice till Friday.

Quote:
You make it sound very easy. I'm just not set up for night time kayak trips.
Jim / Saba Slayer
Saba Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:52 PM   #9
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
What's to set up? ?
You just need an all around white light that sticks up high enough to be seen and a buddy to hoop with. Oh yea...and some nice warm clothes this time of year...although this week looks pretty nice till Friday.

Jim / Saba Slayer
Exactly. Need to get a light. Got nada. One for the head too.