Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
jorluivil

Hooping Restricted Areas

So, we started to drop our nets and we were approached by the Harbor Fire Dept Vessel and advised that we were hoopping in a restricted area, we would need to pick up or nets and move them. We were asked to draw an imaginary line from certain points to another, anything within or outside of these lines was fair game. However, the Lobster Report Card identifed certain structures or areas inside these imaginary lines as hooping locations, it even had a code for them, we didn't think about this until after they left. Hell, one of the areas was acutally exposed to open water

Just before we were ready to call it a night we were tempted to drop the nets and if the officers returned we'd show them that the DFG has these areas as legal hooping locations. However, we already had 6 bugs between the two of us so we decided to avoid the drama. We also found it odd that the Fire Dept would be enforcing hooping locations.

Another weird thing about this was that they were pretty much telling us, you can drop your nets in an area where most of the boats enter/exit the harbor but you cant drop your nets in an area where its safer for you and the boaters.

I sent the DFG an email asking for clarification but I have not received a response, maybe it's because they're as confused as we were. Who has the last say on this? The enforcer or the patroller?
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:40 AM   #2
Saba Slayer

Harbor Patrol

Harbor Patrol can make regulations for their areas that they work. They can superseed the DFG regs but they can't be less regulatory.
I've gone round and round with the Redondo Harbor patrol about the DFG regs. and they're usually less informed about the current or upcomming regs than you would expect. What bothers me the most is that their are no written regs or city codes to deal with...and most of the patrol guys are divers, so they already have an attitude about hooping.
If I really press them for a uniform set of rules, they threaten with stiff regulations and give the Ventura breakwall as an example of what could happen.
They tried to tell me that our floats are a navagational hazzard regardless of where they are placed. I said that the commercial guys floats are even more dangerous as they are not lit or don't have reflective tape on them...the officer said that the commercials guys have a permit, I replied that my fishing license and lobster card are my permit to hoopnet...he didn't like that answer and cut off our conversation and said he had to leave to take care of some business.
Be careful with the patrol guys...you may win in a court of law but is it worth it in lost time and money?
Jim / Saba Slayer
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
Caffeind

There are some Harbor laws that will supercede the DFG regs. We've been schooled over near Cabrillo before. From what I've found, there are distance limits for all Harbor structures found in the Port of LA tariffs, but have never been sweated for where I assume you were hooping.
Caffeind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
jorluivil

Strange thing about this whole thing is that its not the first time that I've seen that vessel while I'm hooping the same area that is supposed to be restricted. I only see them just before or right after sunset, maybe I'll start dropping my hoops a little later.

Last edited by jorluivil; 01-26-2011 at 02:50 PM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote