Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
Mongo Johnson

Is these fiddies and bugs safe to eat?

Hi all,

I'm up around LA County and I am just getting into dropping a line and am wondering if all this game is safe too eat . . . (No offense to Team Sewer Fishing of course).

Alas, I'm just ignorant.

I used to dive PV and NOW learn all about "DDT fields forever. . .". I wonder about stuff off Pedro and LB with LA River and San Gabriel River runoff.

Is there anything "published" about how safe stuff close in to So Cal is to eat?

Excepting white croaker being a DDT magnet, I just don't have a clue as if the local stuff's good for ya. Like bugs off the breakwater etc. Bacteria etc.

Heck the crawdads from Averill Park didn't kill me . . .
Old 10-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
Drake

From what I understand, lobsters have extremely advanced livers, making them safe to eat regardless of the conditions. They clear out toxins very well.

Can't comment on the fish though.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
bellcon

If you actually ate crawdads from Averill then you shouldn't worry about eating anything from any part of the ocean

I say everything in moderation (Except crawdads from Averill)

But here is the info if you really want it:

http://oehha.ca.gov/fish/so_cal/socal061709.html
Old 10-24-2012, 05:16 AM   #4
Mongo Johnson

Thanks for the link. Interesting. Hmmm.

Like, on the crawdads, we were wild Cub Scouts. Like, and it was the 70s! Dude, we just didn't know.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Candy would eat it!

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
kobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
Candy would eat it!

Looks like she already did. Sorry Jorge.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobra View Post
Looks like she already did. Sorry Jorge.
Her teeth are rotten from all the Valentine day candy I buy her and not from the Cabrillo Hali's.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:43 AM   #8
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Well guys I am no expert on this but I have been in a lot of markets with a clipboard.....

Market fish: Know your market, the fish can be questionable and a lot of the sanitation is lacking in many of the local fish markets. Obvisouly look for signs of old fish. Farmed fish can be coin toss, as I have seen farm raised talipa and its not pretty. Dont know who eats that anyway.

Bay fish: Moderation is the key here. The biggest concern would be heavy metal accumulation. I would avoid fish from the back bay as there really isnt much water exchange and there is a lot of industry (Ship yards). No news there...

As for the filter feeders they should be avoided during red tide as they can accumulate the biotoxins or paralytic shellfish toxin (PST). No good...

As for lobsters, I am not sure on the liver processing of toxins with those bugs but a few are not gonna kill ya. The colesterol will get ya first.

One of the more interesting cases I have seen was a young female who ate fish 3-5x a week and had a blood test for a medical condition. Her blood came back high in mercury. We went out to her house and conducted a mercury evaluation for environmental exposure and could not find anything! But lastly we asked about fish and she was eating frozen large fish (Swordfish and others) from Trader Joes a lot! This was the only possible cause of her mercury accumulation in her blood stream.

Enjoy your fish, lobsters, clams ect. Generally seafood is good for you with the Omega3 fish oils.

If you fish like me you dont have to worry about over eating seafood...
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote