Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
momo fish

Fred Hall and question for you experts

Took my kids to the show on Saturday and spend literally the whole day till closing when they kicked us out. The kids enjoyed the usual things like avet casting ( made it twice into hoop) rock climbing, and stealing as much candy as possible from every vendor.

Got to chat with Bart Hall about the show and turns out he lives nearby me but not sure if he will throw some free tickets for next show but did mention bringing back the show up Oakland/Sacramento area.

Great show and especially liked sitting and listening to 3 seminars by Brandon, Jim and Mark on inshore and sea bass fishing. Well during the seminars the question of best time to fish came up and both Mark and Brandon said best fishing is at night (midnight to 3am). Many great tips were shared as well to improve your skill level.

Question: would you risk going out during seabass season and fish overnight on kayak or should that be left for the boaters? Seems like people go out late for lobster so why not seabass if that is when beat bite is.

Anyhow some pictures. And favorite moment was a guy asked the Jackson rep during Jim's show about blem's and his opinions (only Malibu has them) and he had to dance around that question along with the question about hobie peddle verses paddle tough job being a spokesman in those situation but they handled it very well. Kudos to both Jim and the rep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #2
Deamon

Hey Mo,

I'm no expert but I have an opinion! Fishing in the dark can be "fruitful". But it's definitely not for all. Dealing with a-hole boaters, weather and seals can make things tricky mostly because you're in the "open ocean"! There's definitely a small crowd of yakkers with brass ones going out in the dark.

I too went to Fred Hall in LB. Tony and I hung out with Paulie for a long time. He's even more hilarious than on the show. The dude's a shortie. He's doesn't look so short on tv. He grabbed me and just started shooting the shit. Happy go lucky and grateful the show's changed his life for the better.

And then Tony met his future bride. She really...I mean REALLY dug him...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Page 1 (2).jpg (58.6 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg Page 3 (1).jpg (62.1 KB, 257 views)
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #3
JeffB

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Hey Mo,

I'm no expert but I have an opinion! Fishing in the dark can be "fruitful". But it's definitely not for all. Dealing with a-hole boaters, weather and seals can make things tricky mostly because you're in the "open ocean"! There's definitely a small crowd of yakkers with brass ones going out in the dark.

I too went to Fred Hall in LB. Tony and I hung out with Paulie for a long time. He's even more hilarious than on the show. The dude's a shortie. He's doesn't look so short on tv. He grabbed me and just started shooting the shit. Happy go lucky and grateful the show's changed his life for the better.

And then Tony met his future bride. She really...I mean REALLY dug him...
That's pretty good!!!
Old 03-10-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
StinkyMatt

Tony and "Lisa" have been dating now for 43.5 hours. Everything is going great.

I'm not sure if this romance has legs, I keep telling Tony that she is just USING him!

Happy birthday Tony!

....enjoy your "gift"
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:38 PM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Tony and "Lisa" have been dating now for 43.5 hours. Everything is going great.

I'm not sure if this romance has legs, I keep telling Tony that she is just USING him!

Happy birthday Tony!

....enjoy your "gift"

You might be right....I think she only wants me for my body.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #6
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Haha....

I missed a good show....

Fishing at night is totally rad!!!!
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:24 PM   #7
momo fish

Thanks for info. Figured but dam I would not mind being on a boat at midnight fishing seabass.

Did you all see the 2 white girls walking around in a bikini? I think they were hired for some cloth booth but my boys face turned red when they passed by us. Swore I saw my 7 year old try to sneak a grab.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #8
ratdog

Been out at 3am fishing for Cbass in my kayak many times and it is a little scary, esp when I roll up on a seadog thats sleeping and he goes ape shit when I run into them! Any time I've been out doing that there's usually many others all on the same spot. Go with a friend and paddle out together. This being said, i'm not a pro but all the seabass I have caught have always been early morning as the sun is coming up, just my experience.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:41 AM   #9
momo fish

That's what I figure as well even with my limited experience. Will just launch at 5 am like last season when targeting ghosts.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #10
Iceman
Administrator

For the most part I hate fishing in the dark, sensory under load! I don't mind catching in the dark, but in my opinion the best, most consistently productive time to be on the water in a kayak is first light for WSB and YT. Watch the boaters numbers drop like a rock this year as the squid are not looking to be around like they have been.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #11
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Watch the boaters numbers drop like a rock this year as the squid are not looking to be around like they have been.
The less PB the better. I could not be happier! Seems like there are 3 a day that love to charge the kayaks on the water. Been thinking about the best way to discourage them.
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #12
momo fish

I'm by my local spot in Malibu almost everyday and not seeing any boats so far and a small handful of kayaks. Limited amount of squid so far with even more limited catches so far this month. Btw surf was soooo small this morning it almost looked like a lake.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:57 PM   #13
jorluivil

Matt and I were fortunate enough to get a glipmse of a YakJoe rod-launcher-extender-jigamuthingy.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote