Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2015, 09:23 AM   #1
taggermike

New surface iron reel Qs.

I'm wondering if any of you are using large heavy duty bait casters (Curado 300, Abu revo toros, daiwa lexas) for throwing surface irons on long jig sticks. If you have please let me know how they are working out for you. I've been fishing surface iron a long time with mostly old school gear. Last summer I fished a light 9' Phenix with a trini 16N. Love the out fit but the Reel is waaay over kill on that rod. So thinking of putting a Lexa 400 with the power handle on that rod for fishing smaller irons and wax wings and moving the 16N on to a seeker ulua that can handle a heavy drag load. Any input would be great. Thank, Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:39 AM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

I use like my Lexa 400 HSP on 8' 15-40. It's my designated surface iron/waxwing combo. The waxwings are pretty light and I use surface irons more than waxwings which is why it's on a 15-40. If waxwing specific, I'd probably move to something a little lighter for casting reasons. But I love the setup. Can burn surface jigs in without having to look down at the line to make sure it's coming in even.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:40 AM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

Sounds like you have the right idea! I would go with the heavier rod not necessarily an ulua...but Trinidad 16N with a jig stick...Nice!
Old 02-26-2015, 11:00 AM   #4
MrPatrick

I have a Revo Toro 60 on a Quantum Kayak Rod. I like the extra handle length for throwing jigs.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:46 PM   #5
surfisher

I had this exact question last week. I will probably end up going with the Lexa 400 for surface iron ... It seems they are holding up well. Youtube has quite a few videos of people landing good size yellows using them.
surfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:06 AM   #6
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
I'm old school! I still like mono for .
I like my Calstar 530 with a penn 112 (3/0) & 30# if I'm fishing larger fish.
Otherwise I'll use a Calstar 690J with a Newell 322 & 25#.
Trying to find out which 8' Terez rod would work best with my Trini 16N.
Not too sure about using my Revo inshores or Curado 300's for surface irons.
FFY

Last edited by FlyFishinYakr; 02-27-2015 at 09:11 AM.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:50 PM   #7
YakMedic

I fish a Revo Toro NaCl 60 size for my iron rod. Has a ton of drag and I've used it to winch in YT, Thresher, and YFT. No yellows over 25# but it handled it no problem. Its also really nice having a level wind for fishing a jig. If you next cast is only as good as how you lay your line from the previous retrieve, a level wind can't be beat.

I plan on adding a Lexa 400 to the mix also, I was playing with a buddies a couple weeks ago and really liked it. the Lexa casts smoother, but the Revo has a better retrieve.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:32 PM   #8
Fishwhisperer619

I dont really throw irons, ive done really well with my waxwings so i throw those. I have a abu revo toro nacl 50 on the heaviest 7'11" teremar shimano makes. Pulled in 30# yellowfin in ensenada with it and love it. Its my go to for everything within that range of fish class.
Fishwhisperer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:06 AM   #9
taggermike

Thanks for the input. Looks like I'm getting the Lexa 400. Ful-rac, I agree with you about the Ulua, way more rod than you need, or probably want, on a kayak. Except I already have one and don't want to buy a 3rd jig stick. I also fish off friends' boats so no way I'm giving up the Ulua. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote