Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
Fiskadoro

I miss kayaking....

...but I have been having some fun

Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
THE DARKHORSE

Marlin photos are always a challenge.

Atleast when trying to drive the boat at the same time. The jacka$$ pinned to the bow rail always seems to get in the way .

I'm sure you're just teasing us with the rest of the sequence...or maybe the damn condo is in the background of the other shots . I hate when that happens.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
habanero

I miss Kayaking too Jim!
habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
I'm sure you're just teasing us with the rest of the sequence...
Unfortunately not too much else to see. Here's the same fish deep alongside maybe twenty minutes later:

Striped Marlin 160lbs maybe eight feet long, ate a mackerel on forty pound.

Steve took a couple of action shots while I was fighting it but he spent most of the time driving chasing it with the skiff. I had my camera in my pocket but I couldn't get it too work (battery was dead) and my hands were full fighting it anyway. We were expecting to get some good pics once we leadered it but it went ballistic when we tried to bill it and when it really started loosing it we just popped it off for the release. It's not like we were going to keep it anyway.

Too bad you weren't there we might of ended up with some decent pics

As is it's like Marlin photos without the Marlin. In the top pic you can just see it's back where it rises out of the water next to my shoulder and that green-blue smudge under the water is the fish as well. Not much to see in pictures but a beautiful fish though, simply amazing to watch and see up close.

Here's some Yellowfin pics from later in the day.

At least in those you can see the fish

The place was covered with foaming YFT under birds. Wasn't really fishing for them but managed that one about twenty by casting a megabait on a boil. Great day on the water. Life everywhere, excellent conditions, phenomenal late season fishing for Catalina.

I figure were just a few weeks before the offshore pelagics shut down. All it takes is one good front and a blow. After that I'll be back on the Yak.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 10-10-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote