Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
dwntwnall4u
Kevin C.

Cap sized Pro Angler

Weather can change quickly, be safe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKSnRKLJpq0
dwntwnall4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
dbarnett66
Danodog

Wow....Makes me think twice about going out there. I have not popped my cherry yet. Need to work with the training wheels for a while.
dbarnett66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:04 AM   #3
Dannowar

Seems like a cakewalk compared to the Dana point challenge outside the harbor
Old 02-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnett66 View Post
Wow....Makes me think twice about going out there. I have not popped my cherry yet. Need to work with the training wheels for a while.
Dude, just make sure you check the weather reports, surf reports, and use your brain. If you're standing on the shore and don't feel comfortable with the conditions, don't paddle out. Be Smart.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

That really looked like it sucked! Hes lucky he was able to turn it back over...definitely a bad idea to go out that day and to have his seat cranked up all the way too...
Old 02-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #6
blitzburgh

Too many perfect days in So Cal to go out when it's like that for me. I'm glad the dude is OK but he looked really unprepared for re-entering his boat. I have jumped (and fell ) in the drink at least a dozen times from a PA14 and my current PA12 and never turned it over like that. Practice knowing your boat and how to exit and enter it before you have to do it live. I learned that from Jim Sammons many years ago.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
JeffB

That sux. I remember flipping my Revo out in La Jolla. I tried standing up in it to see what was chasing a school of bait fish. Standing and fishing in the Revo in SDB not so bad. standing in Revo to look at bait in La Jolla, complete and wet disaster! I had to swim down like 10' the fetch a run away rod as well. To make things better, it happened within secs of passing the yellow buoys! Luckily Uncle Paul had some dry clothes!
Old 02-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
Di$co

I'm glad he is ok and I'm glad he was wearing his PFD. That's a downfall of any peddle driven kayak is in that situation it is much better to be using a paddle. You can use brace strokes to keep yourself upright. And practicing self rescues no matter how big and unflippable your kayak is.

If anyone wants to learn some good paddle and self rescue techniques I am available. Contact OEX and they can set up a class and I'll come up to Sunset Beach or down to Mission Bay to teach it.

Representative
Feel Free Kayaks
Pyranha Kayaks
P&H Sea Kayaks
Venture Kayaks
Imagine Surf SUP
JP Australia SUP
NP Paddles and Waterwear
SeasonFive Technical Apparel
Di$co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
madncrzydm

got rolled in my cobra first time ever doing a beach launch. Was not fun at all but did learn some very valuable lessons and thank god im comfortable in the ocean.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
TJones

great post to share

no so much for the guy in the video . . i just installed two metal rings on my f/f battery , and ran a nylon belt through them with a quick release buckle . i use it to secure battery , so the next time i roll it myself .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:34 AM   #11
Iceman
Administrator

The guy kept his composure! Good of him to share his experience.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #12
Jim Sammons LJKF

I think this video also shows that some of the boats that people think are the most stable actually are not when the conditions get rough. High seat, little secondary stability, rough seas and inexperience add to disaster. As Eric said above having a paddle in your hand for bracing is key also.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #13
Siebler

Id take the Trident 15 with a rudder over any boat I have ever paddled in those kind of conditions. The T160 and the Prowler 15 would be my next choices. So many people consider these as "tippy" but just like Eric and Jim said, stability is dependent on conditions.

Glad you mentioned Self Rescue practice Eric, was first thing that came to my mind when i saw video.

On that Subject, Maybe we should do a surf/self rescue clinic, What you think Eric? You are one of the best paddlers I know, might be a fun time.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #14
FARRIER

That was really good to watch. Thanks for sharing it.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #15
danjor

I would have to agree, in bad weather I would rather be in a trident 15 than anything else, and I don't know why people think its unstable or easy to tip over, I fished on one for over 5 years and never accidentally tipped it over except for the occasional bad beach landing, I have also been in some seriously bad weather up north in it that I would never want to be in with my new x factors, almost makes me want to buy another trident right after I just spent forever selling mine. Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
Id take the Trident 15 with a rudder over any boat I have ever paddled in those kind of conditions. The T160 and the Prowler 15 would be my next choices. So many people consider these as "tippy" but just like Eric and Jim said, stability is dependent on conditions.

Glad you mentioned Self Rescue practice Eric, was first thing that came to my mind when i saw video.

On that Subject, Maybe we should do a surf/self rescue clinic, What you think Eric? You are one of the best paddlers I know, might be a fun time.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #16
fishing-kayak
Junior

Going out on such a bad weather? Wow, i can't imagine myself going out, but seems like you had quite an adventurous day.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #17
Di$co

I'm down CJ. I think for safety reasons no more then 6 in a class. We could do it in La Jolla since that is where most people will be beach launching around here it is always good to practice where you preach. We can do one up in Iceman's neck of the woods too if there is interest up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post

Representative
Feel Free Kayaks
Pyranha Kayaks
P&H Sea Kayaks
Venture Kayaks
Imagine Surf SUP
JP Australia SUP
NP Paddles and Waterwear
SeasonFive Technical Apparel
Di$co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #18
dorado50

Not that bad out there...he needs to improve his seamanship skills! Ya just don't go sideways to the wind waves.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote