Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 05-17-2020, 01:42 PM   #1
plantsoncolors
Junior

Haggertys PV

Took my sup out to Havgertys in Palos verdes this morning.

Water was warm, boat guy said 68. Beach was empty other than surfers when i launched.

Kelp looked in so so shape. The leaves had a bunch of spots on them but the strands were sturdy.

Paddled up to the cove and the water got murky right when i got in the bay so i chased some birds about a quarter mile out. Landed 5 barracuda, with one being legal so i kept it. Get to skip a trip to the store. Lots of cool skiff people, everyone was friendly. I think were all a bit lonely these days.

Fished from 8-11:30ish. I stuck in kelp close to shore at first with shrimp and swimbaits for no bites. Didnt see anyone else catching. the barracuda started biting about 1/4 mile off the rocks at 9:30 ish. The water gets a bit murky outside of the kelp but didnt stop the fish. Not red tide though, i think, it was definitely green.

The Barracuda destroyed my 5 inch swimbaits so i switched to a crocidile. They didnt like that as much but got my keeper fish with it. Really fun chasing birds and throwing spoons so close to home after being cooped up.

The beach was pretty packed when i got in and i left my mask in the car like a dummy. Id say 60% of people had masks which is great compared to what ive seen. Anyway, barracuda are fun!
plantsoncolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 02:03 PM   #2
Tigermidge

I'd love to take my kayak there If I could find a place to launch.

Mark
Tigermidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 02:22 PM   #3
plantsoncolors
Junior

It was pretty easy on a high tide. The pathway down is really really good too. Its a little walk so a cart would be important, i have an inflateable sup so it was a bit easier for me.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:14 PM   #4
matthew7!

What spoons were you using or recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matthew7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:26 PM   #5
plantsoncolors
Junior

It was about a 3-4 in crocodile with mackerel color but i doubt it matters that much for color. There were a lot of fish when i got to the birds, kinda like mack fishing but with better fish haha.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:55 PM   #6
ProfessorLongArms

That sounds like so much fun. Nice report!
I love shore diving that whole area, especially flat rock.

I'm still tempted to take my prowler or scupper and see if this hike is more of a PITA than this paddle.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:13 AM   #7
JohnMckroidJr

What's the situation at Rat Beach?....it would be a long haul down the road to get there, but it looks doable? Go out early enough and come in late enough and there should be no officials to deal with.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:09 AM   #8
plantsoncolors
Junior

Im gonna say the hill path is worth it. The launch was easy on hightide and its only like 30-40 ft elevation gain compared to a 3 mi paddle. If you get there early, parking wasn't much of an issue, but they closed down the lot at the top of the path. I just parked on the street next to the entrance of the big lot. If you have a cart, its seems very doable with a heavier boat. I had no issue getting down with the inflatable and tackle but after paddling i took a couple breaks on the way back to the car haha.

Ocean people are good on social distancing, mostly older surfers but the runners were bad, no mask and zero care for 6 ft. Assess your risk accordingly. My wife’s on chemo so im pretty paranoid about this whole thing. Please wear your mask!

Have fun!

Also, it seemed legal to launch there, if anyone knows otherwise, let me know! Im a rule follower, especially with eco/ocean laws.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:33 PM   #9
ProfessorLongArms

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantsoncolors View Post
Im gonna say the hill path is worth it. The launch was easy on hightide and its only like 30-40 ft elevation gain compared to a 3 mi paddle. If you get there early, parking wasn't much of an issue, but they closed down the lot at the top of the path. I just parked on the street next to the entrance of the big lot. If you have a cart, its seems very doable with a heavier boat. I had no issue getting down with the inflatable and tackle but after paddling i took a couple breaks on the way back to the car haha.

Ocean people are good on social distancing, mostly older surfers but the runners were bad, no mask and zero care for 6 ft. Assess your risk accordingly. My wife’s on chemo so im pretty paranoid about this whole thing. Please wear your mask!

Have fun!

Also, it seemed legal to launch there, if anyone knows otherwise, let me know! Im a rule follower, especially with eco/ocean laws.
Thanks for the intel! I might jump on a weather window with a dive friend this week.

I feel you on the frustration at the beach. I've sunbathers run up and get right in my face asking the standard beach-goer questions (including classics such as "Did you catch that fish?")
Old 05-20-2020, 06:56 AM   #10
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

So whats the surf break like at this spot. Is it suitable for a safe launch on most days? Thanks.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:55 AM   #11
ProfessorLongArms

https://swellmagnet.com/surf-cams/to...am-and-report/

Not my fav kinda break, but not the worst looking.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:22 PM   #12
plantsoncolors
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by daperrin View Post
So whats the surf break like at this spot. Is it suitable for a safe launch on most days? Thanks.
The island and PV keep it sheltered from almost all S swells it seems, but i bet a wsw could sneak in. Wintertime picks up a ton of NW swell and probably isn’t worth it to launch from there. Id say if the W swell is under 3 ft and you go on a high tide, it’d be easy, which is pretty much all summer. If the S is really big, def be careful. Its a rocky launch but thats the hardest part the bottom dropped out to 6ish feet really fast so waves were flat. There is a sandy beach with more waves too if thats more your thing.

The spot has a surfline cam to check out too, main reason im being so flagrant about name haha. Thats probably the best way to see if it would work for your situation. The bottom of the camera is the sandy beach.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:24 PM   #13
plantsoncolors
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms View Post
https://swellmagnet.com/surf-cams/to...am-and-report/

Not my fav kinda break, but not the worst looking.
The surfline cam is a bit better IMO, but yea, if you’re a goofy foot its a good wave.