Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
RK

HDS unit questions

Ran into a bit of an issue. Im assuming my idea of launching with the sonar in my dry bag and installing it on the water is a bad idea, as that tiny bit of saltwater coming into contact with the power cables started to corrode and one of the pins broke. I use dielectric grease pretty liberally everytime the boat launches and I spray corrosion block on the connections, I wash the unit with freshwater after every use. What do you guys do in order to keep the cables dry during launches/landings, etc? What other preventative measures can be done to avoid this in the future? I appreciate the info. I am only looking for advice from guys using the same units, thank you .
Ryan
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
RK

and thanks Eric
Old 07-26-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

I got some more rubber caps, like the ones that came with it. Cover the 2 ports on the unit that you don't use. Use a couple yellow ones on the cable connectors while launching. When hooking it up on the water take those off and store for your landing. I bought mine at Marshalls Hardware in Miramar.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
RK

I really like this idea..... Ill head up there today is it the same cap?
Old 07-26-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
-scallywag-
Banned

common problem....
keep the battery disconnected accept when using the FF, energized pins+salt=super fast corrosion
Figure out a way to keep all you connectors on, always...this will keep the water out and the grease in.

After going more than a few yaks, I've found that the most robust kayak electrical systems are also the most simple. Now all my FF's are completely seperate from the yak, nothing hard mounted.

The FF is mounted to a mini ram ball and cables are ran thru the front hatch where the battery is put into a drybag or box and wedged under the footwell inside the front hatch. The transducer is just loose inside the hull (no goop, tape or wet well) and before i launch i make sure it is sitting in the lowest part of the hull by the sailing mast, splash a little (1-2cups) water into the hull if it is dry, then its ready to go! I also have a ram ball mounted inside the front hatch so when the surf is thumpy I can put the FF inside the front hatch and it won't get rattled around or soaked while i launch/land. I use a simple velco strap to lash all the loose cables to the sailing mast so it looks clean inside the front hatch.

I really like this system cause you can completely remove all your electronics without ever disconnecting any of the sealed connectors, or even turning a screw. Even better is you dont spent half a lifetime building some crazy transducer mount and no more worries about your stuff getting damaged or stolen when going on camping trips or motherships.

Plus with all the money and time you save on the install you can go fish!!!

-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
RK

Arigato Sensei.......