Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
tptrench

vacuum sealers

My Foodsaver Pro 2 is crapping out on me after over 10 years. Foodsaver quit making this model, otherwise I would buy another one. Can anyone give me reviews on the new comparable ones they make? I believe they are the bronze or silver models. Thanks!!!
tptrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
dwntwnall4u
Kevin C.

http://www.qualitymatters.com/VacMas...p/qmvp-215.htm
Awesome unit, but a bit costly.
dwntwnall4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

Chamber type vacuum sealers are the way to go. Vp215 awsome unit!
Old 01-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Chamber type vacuum sealers are the way to go. Vp215 awsome unit!
I really want one of those!
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
tptrench

Who makes them and where can I find one? TP
Old 01-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
Siebler

He posted a link. I have the VP215 and LOVE it. Initial cost is high but well worth it in the end. I have packed everything from tuna to portions of rice and pasta. Great money saver for buying bulk or sale items. I have even used it for Retort canning.

Buy from Quality Matters and search Bloody Decks as they offer an additional discount.

Due to weight of machine I put mine on this rolling chefs table from Costco. Store the bags and my LEM Grinder and LEM slicer under it. Its like a rolling meat processing station.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
tptrench

Thank you for the info!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #8
Siebler

You will actually find that using the Chamber sealers on dinner leftovers is cheaper than Ziplocks even. Forgot to mention that.

I make large batches of Chili, Dirty Rice, Creole, etc and then pack and freeze. Just nuke the whole bag in microwave and dump in a bowl for lunches, way easy.

Also I got Zippered bags for when I make jerky, snack sticks, etc. They also work great for lunchmeats and cheeses. I will do a big eye of round roast or smoke a ham or something then run through my slicer and pack and freeze. Gives me a bunch of bags of frozen meats and cheeses that are resealable when I thaw them out for use that week.

Like I said worth every penny. This guy has really helped in having lunches and dinners always ready and for buying in bulk or preserving things I catch/Shoot.

Just make sure you do the oil changes! Running longer vacuums and doing retort bags takes its toll on the oil and on the seal bars. I keep plenty of extra on the shelf.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:14 AM   #9
TJones

foodsaver v3835

i received unit from in law as gift. i have had the unit for a couple years now . the unit is not cheap . probably 125 $ range? fairly economical after initial investment. bags are readily available at costco. i have bagged fish with unit and pulled it out 4 months later , and it is like i caught it yesterday. well worth the money spent, especially when you factor in the cost of throwing away food. if you buy meat products in larger quantities the annual savings alone can add up to the units initial cost. if you catch one nice , or , you could be enjoying it all year round. . if your unit lasted 10 years i would say you got you moneys worth . hope this helps .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
tptrench

What kind of unit is it for $125?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #11
maui jim

Just replaced mine old foodsaver, cant swing the big cost of the ultra cool one, but mine is the new silver foodsaver. Had it for a couple of weeks and i am happy so far. This one cost i believe 140.00
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1359781823008.jpg (49.3 KB, 56 views)