Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
echo1er

Carls"BAD"

Woke up at 6am after a long night of drinking the day before. But lucky I prep everything before going to bed. Charge the GoPro Super Glue jig heads to Big Hammers. Couldn't be any more perfect prep for the Sunday. As I woke up and place all the gear in the car I was ready to go. Wrong set back one for got my ID turned around got my ID left the house. Then I for got bottle of water turn around. Finally on coast highway nothing but crazy bikers and joggers EVERY Where. Stop right in front of the Carlsbad power plant to wait for everyone. Seeing to kayakers already hitting the kelp beds watching them for awhile I was like "hey if no one comes I still go out there" Before going into the water had to check the forums Alex A2yakfishn hits up on a thread saying his there. Great guy did his set up. Call Jeff his not feeling it at the moment. Beg him to come out said he will be there in a couple of minutes. So Alex and I where like okay lets do this. Looking at him looking at me First time on the surf we where like this is going to be bad. Got up to knee high water and hop in the yaks. Turning on the GoPro I had to record this. We started going out made it. Alex look like a pro going out there. As we passed the break I was going to bring down my sailing rudder. Nope not going to happen for got to detach the Tie Down. Was going to do a blog on my go pro thats was gone. Having hope that it was washed on shore I told alex I'm heading back and I'll see him in a few. Returning in the surf I flip lose my seeing glasses my water and I was just destroyed. Lucky my wife had my back up glasses from deployment. Jeff gets to the spot and we relaunch to the kelp. We get there and we spread out covering more kelp.I see Alex way down and Jeff in the middle of everything while I'm stuck in kelp. Jeff catching fish as always and getting bites. Alex got nothing me I got a lot of kelp. Well Alex had to leave. Soon after Jeff and I leave here we go again the return. Jeff gave some good tips on how to return. So I'm going in I'm feeling good and what happens wave takes me under this time I reach for my glass and hold on for dear life. Never again will I go Carlsbad. But hey theres a GoPro for anyone that wants one in the bottom of the surf zone. If you get it please deleat my Afgan pictures.

Hope you enjoy my FML day.
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
jorluivil

Licks Wounds
Prepare gear for next trip
Repeat

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
Reel Anxious
Flippin' Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1er View Post
Woke up at 6am after a long night of drinking the day before. But lucky I prep everything before going to bed. Charge the GoPro Super Glue jig heads to Big Hammers. Couldn't be any more perfect prep for the Sunday. As I woke up and place all the gear in the car I was ready to go. Wrong set back one for got my ID turned around got my ID left the house. Then I for got bottle of water turn around. Finally on coast highway nothing but crazy bikers and joggers EVERY Where. Stop right in front of the Carlsbad power plant to wait for everyone. Seeing to kayakers already hitting the kelp beds watching them for awhile I was like "hey if no one comes I still go out there" Before going into the water had to check the forums Alex A2yakfishn hits up on a thread saying his there. Great guy did his set up. Call Jeff his not feeling it at the moment. Beg him to come out said he will be there in a couple of minutes. So Alex and I where like okay lets do this. Looking at him looking at me First time on the surf we where like this is going to be bad. Got up to knee high water and hop in the yaks. Turning on the GoPro I had to record this. We started going out made it. Alex look like a pro going out there. As we passed the break I was going to bring down my sailing rudder. Nope not going to happen for got to detach the Tie Down. Was going to do a blog on my go pro thats was gone. Having hope that it was washed on shore I told alex I'm heading back and I'll see him in a few. Returning in the surf I flip lose my seeing glasses my water and I was just destroyed. Lucky my wife had my back up glasses from deployment. Jeff gets to the spot and we relaunch to the kelp. We get there and we spread out covering more kelp.I see Alex way down and Jeff in the middle of everything while I'm stuck in kelp. Jeff catching fish as always and getting bites. Alex got nothing me I got a lot of kelp. Well Alex had to leave. Soon after Jeff and I leave here we go again the return. Jeff gave some good tips on how to return. So I'm going in I'm feeling good and what happens wave takes me under this time I reach for my glass and hold on for dear life. Never again will I go Carlsbad. But hey theres a GoPro for anyone that wants one in the bottom of the surf zone. If you get it please deleat my Afgan pictures.

Hope you enjoy my FML day.
Jesus, you went through the school of hard knocks in one day. Bummer. You'll get better with time, but what a day.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
echo1er

yeah.. I had to take one for the team
Old 09-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Ouch...and the surf was non-existent this weekend.

Next time, study the sets, give it a good 5 minutes or so and watch the pattern that develops, you will see your windows. Then, charge it and do not hesitate, hesitation leads to devastation as what was once so eloquently phrased. Only time I got in trouble was trying to get out in a hurry, only to get mocked and made fun of by some punk kid...

Watch and wait and you will find your course...

Try going out when Cbad has some surf, time it right and ya get a free ride in...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher

Last edited by Tman; 09-18-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:11 AM   #6
DanaPT

Is Cbad and San O the same?

splitting hairs, i'm sure.

I've always wanted to launch from old mans and head south a bit in front of the power plant. I've noticed kelp beds out there.

Flipping is no fun. Tie everything down.

thanks for sharing the ugly.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

Yikes, stow the glasses or if you really need em use Croakies. If I am the least bit worried about losing anything it gets stowed or leashed. It makes launching and landing a completely different experience. On slow fishing sessions the launch and landing are the best part!
Old 09-19-2011, 11:11 AM   #8
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
splitting hairs, i'm sure.
I've always wanted to launch from old mans and head south a bit in front of the power plant. I've noticed kelp beds out there.
SanO is super user-friendly. The waves are mushy and rarely open up. Plus there's a reform on the inside where you can camp out in the middle to wait for sets if you need to. Carlsbad is usu more hollow. But as Tman said it was pretty small over the w/e everywhere. No offense echo; it happens.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:14 PM   #9
Crazy Cajun
Junior

I was one of the two guys out there when you arrived. We were looking for WSB and Thresher earlier in the morning. We saw very little signs of life while we were out there. We headed in around 7:30 I think. The catch report: Had a few Calicos but that was it. The swell report: was flat calm at 4AM, but there was a 2 foot wave in the sets when we were loading up. That area can be a little technical when you launch. You have to watch the waves coming off the side of the jetty at times. They will turn your yak as you are paddling out. This will cause you to take a wave at an angle and you will have a hard time not flipping. You can always launch\land just to the north of Warm Waters if the waves are small. I avoid the area entirely if the surf is bigger than 2 to 3s. It is tough to get out there in 3 to 4 footers.
Crazy Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #10
echo1er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Cajun View Post
I was one of the two guys out there when you arrived. We were looking for WSB and Thresher earlier in the morning. We saw very little signs of life while we were out there. We headed in around 7:30 I think. The catch report: Had a few Calicos but that was it. The swell report: was flat calm at 4AM, but there was a 2 foot wave in the sets when we were loading up. That area can be a little technical when you launch. You have to watch the waves coming off the side of the jetty at times. They will turn your yak as you are paddling out. This will cause you to take a wave at an angle and you will have a hard time not flipping. You can always launch\land just to the north of Warm Waters if the waves are small. I avoid the area entirely if the surf is bigger than 2 to 3s. It is tough to get out there in 3 to 4 footers.
saw you guys come in and you guys made it look easy.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #11
Amish Ed

I think we've all been there. I had one morning years ago where I lost my prescription sunglasses on the launch and my regular glasses on the landing. I never launch with my glasses on now, that's for sure. Keep it up and you'll get it.