Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
Saba Slayer

Legal hoop nets???

I just got off the phone with Joey at Squidco. I got word from a friend that the guys at squidco were cutting one support arm off their Danielson conical nets to be legal as to the wording in the 2012/2012 saltwater regs booklet on lobster gear.
Yes it's true that the lobster regs in the booklet do say that you can only have 4 support arms on your conical nets. The wording has since been changed to say that a maximum of 6 support arms may be used. I called Asst Chief of Enforcement Rob Allen in Sacramento and asked him to please get a memo out to the local DFG offices informing them about the latest changes.

Don't cut the support arms off your Ambush and Danielson nets. The Ambush could probably take since they have 6 arms but the Danieldon nets only have 5 support arms and that would leave a very weak lopsided net.
Good luck this season
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
I just got off the phone with Joey at Squidco. I got word from a friend that the guys at squidco were cutting one support arm off their Danielson conical nets to be legal as to the wording in the 2012/2012 saltwater regs booklet on lobster gear. Yes it's true that the lobster regs in the booklet do say that you can only have 4 support arms on your conical nets.
Pretty Funny.

I heard about this and I was laughing pretty hard about it.

Looked for a while like I had the only legal smaller diameter conical nets around.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
jorluivil

Go to the bottom of page six for additional details

http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/2011/29_80isor.pdf

Regulatory Language
Section 29.80, Title 14, CCR, is amended to read:
§29.80. Gear Restrictions.
(a) General Provisions.
(1) Saltwater crustaceans may be taken by hand.
(2) Nets, traps or other appliances may be not used except as provided in this Section.
(3) It is unlawful to disturb, move, or damage any trap; or remove any saltwater
crustacean from a trap, that belongs to another person without written permission in
possession from the owner of the trap.
(b) Hoop nets may be used to take spiny lobsters and all species of crabs. Between
Point Arguello, Santa Barbara County, and the United States-Mexico border, not more
than five hoop nets, as defined in (b)(1)(A) or (b)(1)(B), shall be possessed by a person
when taking spiny lobster or crab, not to exceed a total of 10 hoop nets possessed
when taking spiny lobster or crab, per vessel. The owner of the hoop net or person who
placed the hoop net into the water shall raise the hoop net to the surface and inspect
the contents of the hoop net at intervals not to exceed 2 hours.
(1) Hoop Net Defined: There are two types of hoop nets allowed for use. They shall be
defined as:
(A) Type A: Fishing gear that is comprised of one to three rigid ring(s), with each ring
measuring no greater than 36 inches in inside diameter nor less than 10 inches in inside
diameter, which is/are connected to soft mesh thereby forming a circular-shaped net
with an enclosed bottom. Lift lines shall be attached only to the top ring. A second and
third rigid ring(s) may be connected by soft mesh to the top ring; however, each ring
must be equal in size to or smaller than the ring above it. When the net is being raised
the top ring shall be above and parallel to all other rings, with the enclosed bottom
portion of the soft mesh even with or hanging below all other rings. All parts of the hoop
net shall collapse and lie flat when resting on the ocean floor in such a manner that the
gear does not entrap or restrict the free movement of crustaceans until lifted. When
suspended from lift lines, the entire hoop net shall measure no taller than 36 inches.
The ring material shall not be thicker than one inch in any dimension.
(B) Type B: Fishing gear that is comprised of two to three rigid rings (not including the
bait ring), with each ring measuring no greater than 36 inches in inside diameter and the
top ring measuring no less than 15 inches in inside diameter. The upper ring or rings
shall be connected to the bottom ring and supported by no more than four six rigid
support arms, and the assembled frame shall measure no more than 10 inches tall. The
rings and support material shall not be thicker than one inch in any dimension. All rings
shall be connected by soft mesh, thereby forming a net with an enclosed bottom, and

The original PDF has a strike through on the word 'four' but copy/paste function will did not carry over that part of it over.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote