Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2016, 12:46 PM   #1
Mahigeer

Aboard the Monte Carlo off San Pedro.12/4/2016 Loong, w/pic.

Monte Carlo 12/4/2016

I was to be alone at home on Sunday and since the Dallas Cowboys had already played on Thursday evening and won (thank you very much), Sunday was free for fishing.

I checked the Monte Carlo Sport Fishing website for reservation and saw only (4) people have signed up as of Friday.
It sounded too good to true. Although I knew there were going to be more anglers, I booked one spot anyways.

I left home at 4:30 AM for San Pedro for the prompt boat departure at 6:00 AM.

1-The sunrise was breathtaking as usual as we were crossing the channel while welcoming a new day and a new adventure in fishing for me.

There were actually (23) anglers for a (80) angler capacity not including the free riding bird.

2-Just enough room to be fishing. Any more, and it would have been too much in my opinion.
We still had some tangles, but mostly loosing rigs to bottom structure. After all we were rock fishing .

The Captain kept saying to wind up ten turns on the reel, once the bottom was reached, but not everyone would listen.

3-Since the boat was traveling a trolling speed, two anglers put out their trolling rigs both ways during the (3.5) hr. of crossing each way. There were no takers.

It is not a typo. We spent (7) hrs. between 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM on board just for traveling; which left (5) hrs. Less the time spent moving to different spots and re-anchoring---for fishing.

4-I had bought this radio headset long ago for these types of trips. It provided the possibility to listen to a jazz station, or football game while cancelling or reducing the annoying engine noise.

I sat on the upper deck on soft bench cushions enjoying the scenery with some coffee while we were on the way.

5-I am thinking the big indentation in the mountain at the island is the Two Harbors.

6-We saw some dolphins on the way.

7-This little boat with its little engine passed us very easily.

8-The captain had to maneuver between many commercial lobster trap floats and their respective ropes.

9-We passed the island on the north side and dropped the anchor for fishing behind the island.

As everybody got to do bait fishing, I was casting my bubble rig for top water fish like bonito or yellowfin.
After a while with no boils, I too switched to live bait and squid as bait fishing.

My first good size Salmon Grouper came up with live bait.

At this time the sun was making it a little warm, and even though I had taken Meclizine, I started to feel seasick. The pills also made me drowsy, so I went on the upper deck and took a nap to feel better and catchup on my sleep. After a while I did feel better and the third pill started to take effect, so I got a second wind and went down to start fishing.

I used a rockfish rig which had two hooks dressed with green and yellow feathers. I added squid for scent. I hooked two fish at the same time.
I had my two speed Avet reel on the boat, but it had a live bait rig on it, so I put on the rockfish rig on my Shimano 6500 spinning reel.
It was not easy to reel up both good size fish on the spinning reel, but I somehow managed.

10-Pictured is a sample of several lingcods that were caught among other fish.
I had one heavy fish come up, but it got off before I saw it. There is a good possibility that it was a lingcod.

The anglers at the stern had a better catch of lingcods. One angler reeled in two legal ones at once.

No more fish of the size worth keeping for me for the rest of the day.

11-Steve the hard working deckhand (on the left) and the galley attendant cleaned the fish on the way back.
I had similar size fish to the one that Steve is cleaning. They gave me more of different species fish to make my daily bag limit.

12-Sunsets are also very calming and can be beautiful.

13-Pictured is a very hard working and pleasant deckhand, Steve.

Since I had the setting on sunset mode, the picture is darker than it should be. My bad.

14-A nice way to finish the day on the water I would say.

The experience was good, albeit the fishing time was too little (about 4 hrs.) for the total cost of $90.00 for me. If I go back, I will take a trolling setup.

The fish count (for what it’s worth) posted by their website:
7 Sheephead, 46 Red Snapper, 41 Salmon Grouper, 153 Rockfish, 15 Lingcod. The Captain was happy.

On the way home I topped the trip by a stop at our regular Persian restaurant for some rice with fava beans and dill along with braised leg of lamb.

The End.

Last edited by Mahigeer; 12-05-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:34 PM   #2
DPevin

Did that same trip on 11/30. Was a wednesday and we had 18 guys on board. Deck hands are great on that boat. We didn't have steve, we had brain. Top notch hands for sure.

Same story. Long slow drive, and just rockfishing. At least you were around the end of the island. we made short 100 yard hops from rock to rock along the frontside. I think with it being small loads they are conserving fuel or something. Not wanting to drive much. Seeing as the fishing is slow for yellows and whatnot I guess you can't blame them. I got on the wed. for $45 bucks....for basically a 1/2 rockfishing but at Cat. its not too bad. Not sure id drop the normal price though. Wait for it to pick up again and for the Pursuit to take that run over again after they are done w/ their maintenance.

Couple photos from my trip at the bottom of this thread if you care to check em out.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/thr.../#post-4236557

Glad you had an enjoyable time. Anytime on the water is better than no time on the water, that is for sure.
DPevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:35 PM   #3
Mahigeer

Thanks.

Next time I will go on weekdays, even during the slow months.

The captain kept saying due to colder water temp. the bonito and yellowtails were no show.

I can't see the picture, since I am not member on BD.

You may have been on the 1/2 day for $45.00. Mine was 3/4 day.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:49 PM   #4
MrPukaShell

Great report as usual. Like the sunrise and sunset pics. Used to fish the Monte Carlo when it was in Ventura many years ago. Glad to see that they still let you sit on top. Great views from the top deck. Thanks for taking the time to share.
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:18 PM   #5
King Saba

Great read as usual. Your reports are really vivid and allows the reader to feel as if they were alongside side you for the adventure. Even though the traveling time almost doubled your actual fishing time it's good that a limit of rockfish came home with you.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:28 PM   #6
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPukaShell View Post
Great report as usual. Like the sunrise and sunset pics. Used to fish the Monte Carlo when it was in Ventura many years ago. Glad to see that they still let you sit on top. Great views from the top deck. Thanks for taking the time to share.
You aren't going to make it on th Island on a 1/2 day.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:32 PM   #7
jorluivil

Cool trip

I booked an overnight tuna trip on the El Dorado, last night my wife kindly asked me if I had forgotten that I booked my fishing trip on our wedding anniversary. I said, 'YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT I DID!!!!" I am now re-booked on a rock fishing trip that leaves Sunday 12/11 no longer fishing for tuna

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:22 PM   #8
DPevin

Sorry, i wasnt too clear.

I went 11/30. On a wed. They are full day trips to the island. 6am to 6pm. Just captain price of 45 bucks if you book ahead online.

Due to the long travel times and just rockfishing, I likened it to a 1/2 day only just out at catalina....

Anywho, like everyone else has said. Solid report, tons of info, the kind that is a welcomed break from the work day hah.
DPevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:35 PM   #9
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPevin View Post
Sorry, i wasnt too clear.

I went 11/30. On a wed. They are full day trips to the island. 6am to 6pm. Just captain price of 45 bucks if you book ahead online.

Due to the long travel times and just rockfishing, I likened it to a 1/2 day only just out at catalina....

Anywho, like everyone else has said. Solid report, tons of info, the kind that is a welcomed break from the work day hah.

Thanks everybody.

I was not sure since it was not kayak related it would be proper to post here.
We don't have an off-topic board here, like some other fishing websites.

Good to know that the mid-week rates are so low right now for 3/4 day trips.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:41 AM   #10
JJ

Cool report! Love the pics. Really enjoyed them.
What a super way to spend a Sunday!

Friendly suggestion: if you're photographing a subject against a sunset/sunrise backdrop, meter for the sunset/sunrise and use fill flash, if you have one.
You'll have much better exposure on your subject and still see the sunset/sunrise colors.

-JJ-
JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:04 AM   #11
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Cool report! Love the pics. Really enjoyed them.
What a super way to spend a Sunday!

Friendly suggestion: if you're photographing a subject against a sunset/sunrise backdrop, meter for the sunset/sunrise and use fill flash, if you have one.
You'll have much better exposure on your subject and still see the sunset/sunrise colors.

-JJ-

Thanks for the tip.

I used the scene setting for the sunset, then forgot to change back to auto setting. The flash did not come on.

I like the sunset with the island and the birds. It was not planed, but it came out nice.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:31 PM   #12
Mahigeer

I saw the captain's special for Wednesday $45.00 for 3/4 day.

Reservation must be done on line.

I may do one more before the rockfish season ends.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:04 AM   #13
cabojohn
PROBATION

As always...another detailed report along with pics!
Almost feels like I was on this trip. Well done sir.
You set the bar high when it comes to reports. Thanks for sharing.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:11 AM   #14
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabojohn View Post
As always...another detailed report along with pics!
Almost feels like I was on this trip. Well done sir.
You set the bar high when it comes to reports. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks.