Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2015, 02:20 PM   #1
jlabs63

No Wife and No Kids Last Weekend...

So I had to get it on. Launched the boat around 6:30 on 7/5 and made bait. My Spanish / greenback ratio was literally 20/1, not including the 18" greenback that I released. I thought it was a good sign when a yellowtail scurried out of the kelp chasing the Spanish macs on my sibiki. I pinned on my sole greenback and hooked up this guy around 9:30 off the 2nd condo. I missed the first gaff because a freaking seal grabbed him by the tail right under my boat and I almost popped my boat on the second attempt. He weighed in at 20#. Hooked one more on a Spanish, but lost him in the kelp.

The weather went from lake like conditions to a white squall within about an hour, so lots of respect to everybody out there on kayak.

I guess I will throw this out there. I was out on 7/2 and after losing two in the kelp I was trolling a 4-5" Spanish mac in and got absolutely hammered. The fish ripped off about 100 yards of line and then broke off. When I reeled in, the line was raked pretty good. Im not sure what kind of self respecting yellowtail that size would have eaten that mini Spanish. Bluefin????
Attached Images

jlabs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:46 PM   #2
surfisher

Sick! I saw you launching while I was launching. Good to see you got one as well! Could have been a seal that accidentally hooked himself, but then again ....
surfisher is offline   Reply With Quote