Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-13-2015, 01:49 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Mission Bay, 11-13-15

Landwhale and I launched about 6am from Ski Beach Park and headed to Sail Bay to get out of the cold offshore wind. Not sure on the water temp as I got a new yak and the ducer is in the hull for now. It was really clear though.

Started at the bouy line and work our way up the east side and then back. Started off with a slow but steady pick, that slowed eventually to almost nothing happening with a final drift under the bridge for a couple more.

Most of my fish were caught within 200' of shore. Unfortunately the ski boats decided that was also a good distance to hold to also. Made for some very annoying conditions. Hot baits were the 3" Flurry in Minnow Magic and 4" Paddlerz in Bad Shad. Both were fished on a 3/8oz Warbait head. 5" Paddlerz in Sexy Mullet also got a couple. Hot Sauce was used sparingly as I forgot to refill my container. Finished off the day with 14 spotties, only one was legal though.

It was particularly good to fish with Steve today knowing that we'll probably only get 1 more trip before he starts chemo and radiation. Which brings me to my plug for him. Please go to the General kayak fishing subforum and find the link to his Gofundme page and donate. In the same thread is a link to the tournament being held on Dec 5th to also benefit Steve. I'll probably pre fish it the day before if anyone wants to join me.

Finally, as I mentioned previously I bought a new yak this week (Thanks Andy). The old one sprang a major leak which i was never able to locate. I ended up getting a new Trident 13. I'm very happy with the choice and while a bit less stable than my old Manta 14, I adjusted to it really quickly. It's fast, tracks well and unlike my old yak it drifts perpendicular to the wind. The Manta drifted bow first. Nice when you have wind against current, but it sucks any other time. I mounted the ducer with plumbers putty as a temporary mount. It works, but nothing like having it mounted in the water. Missing my Mad Frog Gear tda and hopefully will be able to rig up another.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:26 PM   #2
Amish Ed

One of our own needs our help is the thread title I referred to. I can't copy and paste links as I'm using my phone (computer died).
Old 11-13-2015, 03:25 PM   #3
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
One of our own needs our help is the thread title I referred to. I can't copy and paste links as I'm using my phone (computer died).

Gotcha back, dude:

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=27610
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:49 PM   #4
Amish Ed

Thanks, Dave!
Old 11-14-2015, 05:38 AM   #5
Harry Hill

Ed, I didn't know the Steve we were fishing with was Steve Green. Tell him I said hello and good luck on the treatment. I'll do the pre fish if you want me to.
I guess I need to look at a new boat also, wife says she wants a tandem now so I may have to buy that first, then a personal boat. I should have stopped at OEX while I was at Mission Bay.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:05 AM   #6
Amish Ed

I'll tell him Harry.

Check out the Ocean Kayak Malibu II xl. It fishes well as a single and as a tandem. I paddled one as a single for a couple of years.

As for joining me for the prefish, love to have you. But, I'm not sure that your current ride would be good in open water. Up to you.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:26 AM   #7
Harry Hill

Quote:
I'll tell him Harry.

Check out the Ocean Kayak Malibu II xl. It fishes well as a single and as a tandem. I paddled one as a single for a couple of years.

As for joining me for the prefish, love to have you. But, I'm not sure that your current ride would be good in open water. Up to you.
Lets look at the weather later on in the week, if things look not to bad I'll take my chances on open water. I'm looking at making a bow cover to shed some water instead of taking it all into the bow. Where will we be fishing?
Old 11-14-2015, 08:53 AM   #8
Amish Ed

Ok, we'll watch the weather. I plan to fish
capo first and then the pipe if the offshores aren't bad. The point and then the pipe if they are bad.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:20 AM   #9
Dave Legacy

Quote:
I'm a tandem guy; Wife + 3 small boys. I own a Malibu Pro 2 Tandem, but I've paddled the OK Malibu 2 XL which is also a nice kayak. I preferred the in-hull storage configuration of the Pro 2 Tandem, but used in a solo seating position it kinda sucks. The Hobie Odyssey has a pretty thoughtful layout for both single/tandem use if you can bring yourself to buy a hobie that isn't a mirage drive! Hobie Oasis is an awesome tandem, super fast, but I think of it as being a dedicated tandem even though others have used it as a single. Jackson Kayak Big Tuna is a very well thought out tandem with a good solo configuration, but it's like 35.5" wide and I wonder if it wouldn't be a bit of a barge out on the open water?

Outfitting a tandem is kind of a pain in the ass, but a fun way to enjoy time with the wife and kids. =)
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:44 PM   #10
Harry Hill

My wife is an excellent fisher on her own but she has suffered some nerve damage that is affecting her hands and dexterity. So now even though we are fishing in separate kayaks I have to stay close in case she breaks off or needs me to do anything that requires finesse. So I'm thinking if we get a tandem then at least we will be close if she needs my help but I want a tandem that handles good as a single for when I go out by myself. I need a tandem with the seat far enough back that she can't smack me to easily when I'm being a smart ass. The Big Tuna is just too much for our budget as are most Hobies. The Pro Angler 2 looks good as does the Ocean Kayaks Malibu 2, I just don't want to have to set everything all up, I would prefer they are rigged to start fishing. I don't want much do I? Also it's better if the front seat doesn't face back because I don't want her to see when I'm making faces at her.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:23 PM   #11
tacmik

So sell her yak, buy a tandem. when you both go out, take the tandem. When you go solo, take yours.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:29 AM   #12
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmik View Post
So sell her yak, buy a tandem. when you both go out, take the tandem. When you go solo, take yours.
that is pretty much the plan, except I'll sell mine also as it isn't very seaworthy.