Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2011, 07:44 AM   #1
danjor

Heading to La Jolla Tomorrow

Going to be fishing La Jolla for my first time friday morning. plaining on launching between 430am and 5am, ill be in a yellow trident 15.
If anyone is heading out firday morning also let me know and maby we can fish togeather. I need to meet more fishing buddys all mine dont have kayaks.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
BMThompson
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjor View Post
I need to meet more fishing buddys all mine dont have kayaks.
Same here.

Tomorrow's my birthday- so I'm taking the day off work hoping to get lucky.

I'll be at the launch around the same time- black truck, olive colored Revo...

Come by and say hi

Brian
BMThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #3
Abandoned Ship
Junior

I too need more kayak fishing buddies...
Won't be out as early, but I'll be there!
May ask someone to man a second radio for me -(just in case I need extra muscle )
Yellow/Green Marauder

Just a note: I have an extra Cobra Fish'nDive a "buddy" can use...
Old 05-19-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
RobFish
Massive Member

Hey guys,
Brand new to the site and the sport. Just bought my first kayak. Got it used but it was pretty decked out. Cobra Explorer which at 11'3" is a bit short for an ocean boat, but it'll also be my Mammoth kayak as well.
I'd love to be joining you guys for an outing tomorrow, but work calls.
Soon though, very soon.
Rob
I heard that the new guy brings beer. How about for my first outing, instead of live bait, I put one of those mini-kegs in the bucket? Would that be OK?
Old 05-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
BMThompson
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobFish View Post
Hey guys,
I heard that the new guy brings beer. How about for my first outing, instead of live bait, I put one of those mini-kegs in the bucket? Would that be OK?
Let me know when that'll be...
It should make for a very entertaining first landing.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
carbonbass

Be careful out there 3-6 ft swells expected
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
BMThompson
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonbass View Post
Be careful out there 3-6 ft swells expected
Thanks for lookin out-
Where did you see that report?

NWS says:
.FRI...WIND VARIABLE LESS THAN 10 KT...BECOMING SW 10 KT IN THE
AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. MIXED SWELL W 3 TO 4 FT AT
9 SECONDS AND S 5 FT AT 16 SECONDS.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMThompson View Post
Let me know when that'll be...
It should make for a very entertaining first landing.
For the landing it should be empty by then, then it will be more buoyant.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
kurtfish

Eyes on the Launch 5/19

5-7 foot sweel around the point with wind swell on top. Whitecaps aren't too bad but I see no yaks venturing around the corner. Rentals in the reserve but I would not laucnh in the dark in the am. I got my head blooded with a surf roll in swealls half the size of what we have rolling to today. I use wetsands.com for surf forecasting but I use my office window for same day reality. Swell is forecast to shift more from the West tomorrow which will make the launch even more cheallenging.

Be sure to tie everything in if you decide to go for it. Heading out only typically entails waves to the chest and if you keep perpendicular to the swell you should be able to punch through without rolling. Coming back in is another story. I should have slippied off my PA and kicked it in with the good handle bars on the stern I could have prevented catching the wave tha sank my bow and rolled me so quick I had no time to react. I only lost my pelican box with my headlights as I have everything else tied in. Key to landing is do everything you can to not catch a wave. Paddle backwards and put your paddle in to slow yourself down.

The momentum and speed of catching a wave feels good only for a very short time in most kayaks. Fishing kayaks especially Hobies are not designed for surfing.

Good luck and be safe. The buddy system is a good idea especially for early am launches.
kurtfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
BMThompson
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtfish View Post
5-7 foot sweel around the point with wind swell on top. Whitecaps aren't too bad but I see no yaks venturing around the corner. Rentals in the reserve but I would not laucnh in the dark in the am. I got my head blooded with a surf roll in swealls half the size of what we have rolling to today. I use wetsands.com for surf forecasting but I use my office window for same day reality. Swell is forecast to shift more from the West tomorrow which will make the launch even more cheallenging.

Be sure to tie everything in if you decide to go for it. Heading out only typically entails waves to the chest and if you keep perpendicular to the swell you should be able to punch through without rolling. Coming back in is another story. I should have slippied off my PA and kicked it in with the good handle bars on the stern I could have prevented catching the wave tha sank my bow and rolled me so quick I had no time to react. I only lost my pelican box with my headlights as I have everything else tied in. Key to landing is do everything you can to not catch a wave. Paddle backwards and put your paddle in to slow yourself down.

The momentum and speed of catching a wave feels good only for a very short time in most kayaks. Fishing kayaks especially Hobies are not designed for surfing.

Good luck and be safe. The buddy system is a good idea especially for early am launches.
Thanks, Kurt-
Yup, it looks pretty damn nasty out there today!
If it doesn't look a lot better tomorrow, maybe I'll end up spending my birthday in a bar somewhere
or, maybe I'll pack the fishing gear in the truck and play in the surf
Old 05-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #11
brandon_burtenshaw
Junior

Yeah I went out and practiced last saturday had a blast and rolled it more times then I can count but the extra confidence definitely helps and also proved to me that EVERYTHING needs to be tied down, and also your going to get soaked it's just part of the deal!
Old 05-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #12
the dude

1st time out and your launching in the dark in some burly swell...do your massive testicles get in the way when you're paddling?
Old 05-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #13
danjor

Well i dont know if im crazy or just dont know what i got comeing for me but im gonna go fishing either way. i got a 2 hour drive so im just gonna go and what happens happens. hopefully there will be someone else there thats as crazy as i am to go out. but however it ends up it should be some good practice, concidering i want to meet my cusin from montaray this summer and hit big sur with our kayaks and fish there so this shall be small compared to that. well atleast i think so.... he told me 5-10 swells are small up there.
Either way im packed allready and im heading out in the morning.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #14
jorluivil

They just announced that some south facing beaches will be getting waves up to 15'.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:20 AM   #15
danjor

Anyone still headig out? Waves don't look to bad was just lookig at them in person I got here earlier than I expected (no traffic when you leave at 1:40am) gonna get some food, come bacn and than wait and see if anyone gets here if not Im going to launch once it gets a little bit brighter.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:13 AM   #16
bigbarrels

enjoy and be safe....winds look good for you My window of opportunity was yesterday and it looked like a no go with the wind and swell....need to get on with my maiden voyage with the new yak.......good luck today
Old 05-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #17
danjor

Well im back from my trip. Swells were sort of large but I dep't win them fine. Meet a guy at the launch he helped me out and gave me some pointers. I managed to make it out threw the surf without flipping but comeing back in was another story haha flipped in 2 feet of water. But it was fun I caught some bass and some greenies. Looking forward to my next trip whenever that is
Old 05-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #18
theluckypig

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjor View Post
flipped in 2 feet of water.
next time leave the ff on and jump out at 3 feet...
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #19
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckypig View Post
next time leave the ff on and jump out at 3 feet...

X2.

Or do what I do and come in backwards.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #20
-scallywag-
Banned

I fished this AM as well....a little thumpy at the launch but not TOO bad.

Conditions looked good, cleaner water than I expected and lots of bait from the bouys to the corner.

The wind looks like it will be chill for the AM guys the next couple days, worth a shot if you get a chance.

-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote