Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #21
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

I had a large sea lion try and climb on my kayak about three miles off of Oceanside. Luckily, a few whacks of my 1 lb. paddle on the 300 lb. beast persuaded him to go back to swimming. Had a few fish stolen by them as well, but I guess they gotta eat too.
Here's a sea lion macking a yellowtail I caught. Fair is fair; I need to eat too.
I move way inland and what do you know; sea lions are parked in front of the fish ladders of the Bonneville Dam here in the Columbia Gorge eating salmon and sturgeon; fish that cost taxpayers millions of dollars trying to keep from going extinct.
Humans do not seem to be able to replicate the balance of nature; no matter how hard they try.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:48 AM   #22
Matt
Support your local pangas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE5pGeCUM-Y

"OH MY GOD IT'S COMING RIGHT FOR US!!"
Old 11-25-2009, 07:57 AM   #23
MalibuJohnny

Greatwhite bait

Old 01-14-2010, 06:46 AM   #24
T Bone

there was a guy 2 years ago who stabbed and killed one with a bait knife on that fishing pier thats by that launch on the Wedge side.I dont know what became of him.Newport gets seriously overrun.2 years ago the baitbarge was fishable but now it is nearly impossible to land any fish.I hooked one and was towed a great distance at probably 5-7 mph.I had to thumb the spool to get him off.what are we allowed to use as a deterrent,soft air gun perhaps?

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:12 AM   #25
cjthomas

Paintball Guns

We should all start carrying paintball guns and firing off a couple shots if "we feel we are in danger." From what I've been told the paintball gun is a legal deterrent.

The object is to condition the sea dogs, not harm them. Just as you would discipline a dog to house train it.

This would not stop them from gorging themselves and becoming over-populated, but it might make kayaking in open water more safe.

Just my 2 cents...
cjthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:16 AM   #26
Oolie
Headshots Only

first, people should learn the differences between seals and sea lions.

i've had some close encounters with sea lions, but i've never killed any.

there's some tought inducing points brought up in this thread, like jim day's post.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:33 AM   #27
Siebler

Don that is a pretty cool picture even if you did have to deal with a dog on your yak....

As much as I dislike Sealions I dont mind Harbor seals. they are like little puppies

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:31 AM   #28
Oolie
Headshots Only

save the whales.

shoot the seals.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:33 PM   #29
young mola

its their house, were invading it. with 'fishermen' like these, sometimes i dont think the mlpa is such a bad idea.
young mola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:51 PM   #30
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Young Mola,

While I respect your right to have an opinion, my opinion is that that may need to come up with a new moniker. I propose "Naive Mola" as one to consider.

One of the main reasons that seal lions, (not seals), have become a problem is that Man has stepped in and messed up the balance of nature. We have protected these animals to the point that their populations have exploded. Sea lions were never significantly present in our rivers until we built the dams which caused spawning fish to hold in a confined space making them easy prey for an opportunistic seal lion.

Just as we do in this forum when a big bite is on, one happy sea lion told a few of his friends about the easy pickings and soon there was a great congregation of non-native sea lions decimating the native fish population. Man caused this problem and Man should fix it.

As for your comment regarding the MLPA being a good idea, I will let others weigh in on that subject. I hope you are wearing your body armor.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:34 PM   #31
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by young mola View Post
its their house, were invading it. with 'fishermen' like these, sometimes i dont think the mlpa is such a bad idea.
Thats because you don't know squat about the MLPA, or maybe you are one of those brainwashed children that were bussed in by the environmental extremists.

Sorry Kid but you need to research the facts.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:14 PM   #32
Gino

Young Mola, you say that now, till they shut down your local fishery. Then youll be back here pissing and moaning like the rest of us. but with less repsect on your shoulders.

As far as Seals go i see no future resolution to the problem, even if DFG were to create a culling program. I would be met with all kinds of controversey. DFG here is nothing like DFG in other states, alot of people dont understand that. When green money bankers (packard foundation) and many others who can pump money into shutting down local fisheries entirely. Theyd shut down Seal Culling in a heartbeat, let alone the very idea of DFG officials spekaing on it would make local news. Every enviormental gorup will be screaming out against it as if they tore a labia.

All we can do is put up with them. And when more Great Whites and large Makos start showing up and a swimmer is attacked... Well the enviormentalist will just spin it off as if the great whites dont have enough natural food to eat, and we need to protect more!

its a poop sandwich and we all have to take a bite. how much you chew, thats up to you.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #33
Whizz Bang

Matt: LMFAO..... this thread made me think of those two.

Young Mola: you have alot of growing up to do and I hope you do it quick (and preferably out of the poll booth). Ignorance is never an excuse.....nor is youth...grow up fast.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:34 AM   #34
wade

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:16 AM   #35
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
"OH MY GOD IT'S COMING RIGHT FOR US!!"
Holy crap....I can't stop laughing!!!!
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #36
speedydk

Send a message via Yahoo to speedydk
Can I get two of those report cards I would gladly pay extra for the second
speedydk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:08 PM   #37
-scallywag-
Banned

hahahahahha, I can't believe they nailed this guys balls to the wall with the raid and what not....then they let that Balboa Pier cbass killin butt monkey walk?? the video is on youtube and all over the bloodyPB'ers site.
Kill a sea loin = gets your house raided
torture and kill a BSB on video = no citation

Go Figure
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote