Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2010, 07:58 PM   #21
GregAndrew

First I have seen of a couple of those videos. The one from the pier shows how he kept the fishes head out of the water when it obviously still had life. And how the hell would pulling it up onto the pier help to return it safely to the water? If there was no law broken by this idiot then shame on the DFG.

As far as deflating the swim bladder goes, remember that the bloated sack in the mouth of a fish is NOT the swim bladder but the stomach lining being forced out by the bladder. Don't pop it!!
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:21 PM   #22
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

I have read some of the thread, but personally, after reading it, I don't even want to watch the video...for obvious reasons.

I think we as kayakers have advantages for releasing BSB since we are close to waters edge, and need to take advantage of that ability. I have helped a friend send a BSB down, a big one, and it is the greatest feeling to finally push their head down, see them go down where they belong.

I saw 2 PBer's one time have one at their swim step, and they took their sweet arse time, enough time for me to paddle over and release the damn thing for them, while one guy was more concerned with taking off his sweatshirt, and the angler keeping pressure on the fish. I went over, cut his phookin' line, grabbed him by the tail, and used my foot to angle his head down to get his bearings straight...yes, I was gentle, and yes it worked. He swam down hard.

Not saying I did it perfect, and not looking for kudos...the fish swam down hard, and I had the advantage of being closer to handle the baby BSB than they, that is all that matters.

We as stewards of the sea, provide that assistance to boaters, if they get pissed, phook 'em.

I was very irked by the demeanors of these anglers, they were in no rush at all...hence the reason for not wanting to watch the video.

If I really had to, I would jump in, corral the big bass, get its equilibrium in the right direction, take it down a ways if necessary, give it a hug, and hope it remembers me...not too many boaters are prepared to do that, but I tend to think, if necessary, the majority of us would do what would be needed...

I just can't fathom the wrath we would incur from fellow yakkers if we took one of those beauties out of the water just for a photo op...yikes.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:53 PM   #23
Lil Dougie
Junior

The guy should be hung by the pier he caught it on, by the gaff he put in its mouth and all the people should be burned alive, especially the guy who said "it is like a tuna"!! Disgusting
Old 01-21-2010, 08:00 AM   #24
MalibuJohnny

BSB

It is really too bad to see this fish taken the way it was, but was this group of people really at fault? Maybe the blame should go with the boater…they could of easily, cut the fish free. I am sure that the boater knew what type of fish he was enabling the pier fisherman to claim. (Hero in every one of us)

Unfortunately things happen…I can’t remember the last time I heard or read about someone hooking a monster like that on a pier. Is this a good sign? Possibly that, this type Stereolepis gigas (Black Sea Bass) may be on its way back from the brink of extinction…How many of us have seen the mishandling of the same type of fish on this and other sites?

Where were the DFG? Life Guards? Where did the fish end up? I hope it didn’t go to waste!
Old 01-21-2010, 03:44 PM   #25
T Bone

they are legal in Mexico but still not taken by US boats.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:12 PM   #26
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Nearly forty years ago, I worked with a semi-legendary guy named Bob Shea. Bob, at that time, was Captain of the San Diego Lifeguard Service. That year, Bob was also the reigning world champion spear fisherman. This guy could free dive to untold depths to chase down his prey. He was very good at his chosen sport.

It was a much simpler time back then. Once every summer the Lifeguards would have a huge party, usually on beach front City property with the other law enforcement agencies looking the other way. There would be lots of booze, great food and many pretty young girls, (this was before there were any women Lifeguards in the service).

For many years running, Bob and a couple of other world class speros who worked for the Lifeguard service, would take a day off and go foraging for fish to be served at this event. This particular year, the dive spot was somewhere off of San Clemente Island. As the story was told to me, Bob was suspended in the water at about 20 feet when he saw a huge shadow below him. He dove to see what was there and came face to face with an enormous Black Sea Bass.

This was long before Black Sea Bass were considered endangered. They were not on any protected list. In fact, I am not sure there was such a thing as the Endangered Species List back then. In any case, at this point in time, BSB were fair game, so Bob took his shot.

By the time the boat returned home, Bob's trophy fish had been strapped to the swim step drying out for nearly two days. It weighed in at something like 510 pounds. (There is a photo of this fish at the Diving Locker in PB if you doubt my story.)The world record for this species at the time was just a few pounds more. Everyone believes that this would have been a world record fish if it had been weighed when freshly caught.

As I mentioned before, it was a much simpler time back then. Most of us did not have a clue about things such as how to protect the environment or responsible fishery management. It was the wild west. We were ignorant about many things but had individual freedoms unthinkable in today's world.

Bob spent the better part of a day butchering his fish on his lawn in PB. One huge 8 inch thick fillet was donated to the Lifeguard Party. It fed the entire San Diego Lifeguard service as well as our dates and a few City big shots. (We also had plenty of abalone, remember them?).

This was the only time I have ever tasted Black Sea Bass. It was a long time ago but in my memory, it was the best tasting fish I have ever eaten.

The point of this story is that we have come a long way in 40 years. Back then, BSB were plentiful. In a few short years, they were nearly gone along with the White Sea Bass and Abalone. The good news is that, thanks to strict controls on pesticides, reduced pollution and sensible fisheries management, the WSB population has recovered fully and the Black Sea Bass are coming back.

Will I ever have a chance to taste that sweet white meat again? I hope so, but then maybe it is better to just cherish the memory of that warm summer night with a beautiful companion on my arm and some of the best that Mom Nature can provide sitting comfortably in my belly.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #27
Rocksmith
Junior

Black Sea bass is definetily a tasty fish.
My Dad has been SCUBA diving since I was a lil boy. We werent a well of family but my father dove for our dinner. I was a rough childhood living on lobster, scallops, abalone and bsb or whatever he could scrounge.
Well he got a bsb on the skirt of table rock in front of Anacapa island. The beast was only 176lbs, but we ate well for a long time.

It was caught with a homade speargun equiped with 100ft of 600lb nylon with 3 36" co2 poppers.

Sorry for the pic but its a pic of a wall picture.

Notice the death grip he has on it. Back then they were everywhere on Anacapa and the other islands. Mind you this was probably 25+ years ago. But they are on a recovery and hopefully someday thay will not have to be on the protected list.

Yea, my first post but thought I would share on this.
Rocksmith is offline   Reply With Quote