Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
Sdspeed

health concerns and picking a kayak

I was wondering as an old timer with some aches and pains what part of my body is gonna be trashed the most fishing from a kayak in our local waters?
Haven't bought yet so with these health concerns does it narrow down which kayak might be more comfy and perhaps easier on the bod?

Also since I'm still looking and learning is there any exercises I can start on at home to limit my pain when I make the leap?

tks !

Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
oneyedeer

your back
-weight of kayak (loading and unloading)
-how comfortable your seat is

shoulders
-paddling
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
jorluivil

I think its hard to answer those questions. There are many things to contend with when you're out kayaking: wind, surf, sun, cold night, cold days, no restroom, type of seat, type of kayak, etc. The best suggestion I could make is to not spend more than you're willing to loose in a few trips. Take your time, start out in the bays and slowly venture your way out into open water but most importantly don't go alone.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
Hunters Pa

rent or borrow first. If you hurt, more than good workout hurt, afterward then maybe rethink. This is supposeded to be fun and good for you. Dont spend a ton if you are not sure you will be able to pursue

Unless you live close to me and I'll have first dibs on your "getting out of yakking" sale.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

If you bring a big cooler and beers with you, it might be your liver that gets trashed, and the rest of your body will be just fine.

Like Jorge said, there are a lot of variables that go into answering your question.

I would recommend you go to a kayak rental place that has a variety of kayaks for you to try. Paddle vs Peddle.

On top of that, your paddling style will also affect what part of your body gets the greatest workout.

Even if you choose peddle, depending on how you set your peddles, you could be working different parts of your back/legs.

Whatever you chose, do it for a few hours (since it's your first time) and see what hurts. Then you'll know.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
PapaDave

If you are looking for comfort and stability, try out the Pro Angler series from Hobie. They do cost more but they are exceptionally comfortable and stable. And the Mirage drive won't cause any pain in the shoulders or back. The disadvantage is it's weight out of the water, it is heavier than most kayaks. However, the loading and unloading is not as bad as it might seem, and you aren't doing that all day. You might be able to find a place to store it at a location near the launch. I don't know if there are any openings but Dana Point Jet Ski offers storage there, and they are right on the water. Not sure if OEX offers anything like that but there may be other places that do.

I have a PA and love it, I usually stay on the water from the time I launch to sunset, the seat is very comfortable and the drive system is low impact on any joints and muscles. I have a knee that acts up occasionally but the kayak does not aggravate it.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
Sdspeed

Your Avatar addiction is what added to my aches and pains
Old 09-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #8
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
If you are looking for comfort and stability, try out the Pro Angler series from Hobie. They do cost more but they are exceptionally comfortable and stable. And the Mirage drive won't cause any pain in the shoulders or back. The disadvantage is it's weight out of the water, it is heavier than most kayaks. However, the loading and unloading is not as bad as it might seem, and you aren't doing that all day. You might be able to find a place to store it at a location near the launch. I don't know if there are any openings but Dana Point Jet Ski offers storage there, and they are right on the water. Not sure if OEX offers anything like that but there may be other places that do.

I have a PA and love it, I usually stay on the water from the time I launch to sunset, the seat is very comfortable and the drive system is low impact on any joints and muscles. I have a knee that acts up occasionally but the kayak does not aggravate it.
Closer storage would be a serious asset and I wasn't aware that some places offered storage. My condo is short on that.

I've had both shoulders overhauled years ago with great success but I do worry and my knees and lower back aren't new that's for sure. I have rented a kayak for a few hours on the water but was left thinking that some kayaks and associated accessories could lessen pain issues and improve my comfort. Does kayak length mean much concerning these issues.

I appreciate all recomendations and will follow up on them. Spending money right the 1st time even if it's a bit more usually makes more sense than spending over and over again.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
Chief Gunner

Stretch out every day, push ups, sit ups, crunches and try leg lifts to strenghten your core. Paddling is great but if you got a bad shoulder or arm/s peddling might be something worth looking into.

I do my routine when I get up and swimming in my pool in the afternoon when I get home from work helps allot. I have some issues with a knee, my back, my hips and ankles after 20+ years of pounding Steel Decks in the worlds Finest Conoe club but I hate to take any meds for any of it. I loved paddling in my Tarpon but honestly allot of my knee, hip and ankle pain has gone away since I got my PA.

My kick is to take my Vitimins & try eat healthy when possible. I found that the more active I am from day to day the less those aches and pains bother me.

Fishing, Beer and my Woman help a Hellava lott too

Do it !! Get on the water because aside from everything else I mentioned the connection to Nature, Mother Earth and the Absolute Beauty of this World will fill your Soul with a Calmness and Clarity that will make any aches and pains you feel seem meaningless to the point where you don't feel them anymore (until the next day LOL)
Chief Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Gunner View Post
Stretch out every day, push ups, sit ups, crunches and try leg lifts to strenghten your core. Paddling is great but if you got a bad shoulder or arm/s peddling might be something worth looking into.

I do my routine when I get up and swimming in my pool in the afternoon when I get home from work helps allot. I have some issues with a knee, my back, my hips and ankles after 20+ years of pounding Steel Decks in the worlds Finest Conoe club but I hate to take any meds for any of it. I loved paddling in my Tarpon but honestly allot of my knee, hip and ankle pain has gone away since I got my PA.

My kick is to take my Vitimins & try eat healthy when possible. I found that the more active I am from day to day the less those aches and pains bother me.

Do it !! Get on the water because aside from everything else I mentioned the connection to Nature, Mother Earth and the Absolute Beauty of this World will fill your Soul with a Calmness and Clarity that will make any aches and pains you feel seem meaningless to the point where you don't feel them anymore (until the next day LOL)
My Dr.'s say simuliar things, be active. I'm pretty sure that's why my shoulders have fared so well. Morning excercises and know my limits
( i.e don't be stupid ) But I do know I'm not staying as active as I should be. I totally agree with you and your insight to life as you laid out in your last paragraph.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
icelogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Gunner View Post

X2 on Gunners post.

If you will be using a vehicle with a roof rack, there is a great video on youtube how to load a hobie pro angler, or any kayak, onto a roof rack. The link to the video is somewhere on this forum. Maybe the member who posted the vid can chime in.

Kayak fishing is a healthy investment and very rewarding.

Good luck.
icelogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #12
Sdspeed

Well as usual you were ahead of me. I was wondering how to transport any kayak since my Toyota only has a 6'6" bed. Still a concern.

I do believe that this sport can be a very healthy choice, perhaps frustrating at times but I think the pros outweigh the cons. plus new friends are always the icing on the cake.
'

Old 09-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #13
oneyedeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdspeed View Post
Well as usual you were ahead of me. I was wondering how to transport any kayak since my Toyota only has a 6'6" bed. Still a concern.

I do believe that this sport can be a very healthy choice, perhaps frustrating at times but I think the pros outweigh the cons. plus new friends are always the icing on the cake.
'

Get a bed extender buddy of mine transport his pa12 out of his lil suv...should be even easier in your truck....save your back and shoulders. Lots of people overlook a good seat..imo the gts expedtion is the second best seat on the market the 1st is a lil pricey you gotta buy a pro angler
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:52 AM   #14
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by icelogger View Post
X2 on Gunners post.

If you will be using a vehicle with a roof rack, there is a great video on youtube how to load a hobie pro angler, or any kayak, onto a roof rack. The link to the video is somewhere on this forum. Maybe the member who posted the vid can chime in.

Kayak fishing is a healthy investment and very rewarding.

Good luck.
Checked out bed extenders like you mentioned. Looks like an inexpensive way to save my back.

On another note I've been watching various video of people pedaling the Hobies, looks rather uncomfortable and hard on the lower back and hips. Anybody have low back or lower extremities troubles that have experience with the pedal type yaks?

Old 09-08-2012, 05:51 AM   #15
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdspeed View Post
I was wondering as an old timer with some aches and pains what part of my body is gonna be trashed the most fishing from a kayak in our local waters?
Haven't bought yet so with these health concerns does it narrow down which kayak might be more comfy and perhaps easier on the bod?

Also since I'm still looking and learning is there any exercises I can start on at home to limit my pain when I make the leap?

tks !

What kind of health issues do you have right now? Is that what your concern is, or are you thinking there could be some down the road. With anything that you want to do there could be some pains that follow. For me I personally like the paddling kayaks and the pains I feel after a long day may be shoulder soreness, some in my abs, but for the most part I feel great after a day on the water. I would say for the Hobie guys they may feel some soreness in the legs from pedaling, and we all feel it from loading and unloading, but like someone said if you are feeling more than general soreness after a day on the water you may be doing something wrong that can be corrected.

Like others mentioned, you should try renting a kayak and see how you like it, or go test paddle some. One word of warning though, and I think most will agree, once you get into a kayak and catch your first fish, you'll be hooked for life. Fishing from a Kayak is a totally different experience.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote