Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 09-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
Ddwineguy

WTF!

Arrived at La Jolla Shores around 5:30 to super thick fog. We waited for a while to clear and as it got light we launched into it anyway. Slow day for me and my fishing partner making bait. 2 squirts were all i could muster. No luck on them so I start making Greenbacks. This is where it gets weird. I am fishing a sabiki with the rod I usually use for bassin in the bay. I get ripped hard and fight something decent for a few minutes. Finally i get it to color and I think what the hell is that? Juvi white seabass? No. Rat Yellow? No. As I play it closer the fish comes up and makes a little jump. Holy cow it is about a two foot long Salmon! I start thinking should I gaff it? Is it legal to posses one here? WTF! One more little jump and my sabiki rig pulls out and off it goes back into the deep. Crazy!

Rest of day not nearly as exciting. Had one hit on a greenback with no dice and had a seal pick off two of my baits. One guy fishing next to us caught a hefty BSB.

Oh well, better luck next time.
Ddwineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
min-va

No pic = bullshit!!!!!!

Jk~~~....cool report, you just never know!!
Old 09-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
MrPatrick

Salmon

I think that all salmon and steelhead are no take down here.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Ocean Salmon
The recreational fishery for ocean salmon is open from April 7, 2012 through October 7, 2012. The daily bag and possession limit is 2 salmon of any species except coho. Minimum size limits are as follows:
  • April 7 through July 5: 24 inches total length
  • July 6 through October 7: 20 inches total length
For important information on gear restrictions and other ocean salmon sport fishing regulations, see the 2012-2013 Freshwater and Ocean Sport Fishing Supplement or the California Ocean Salmon Seasons web page. You may also call the Ocean Salmon Regulations Hotline at (707) 576-3429 for ocean salmon sport fishing information.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
mtnbykr2

Yeah D, WTF?...
Old 09-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
jorluivil

Gay WSB

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
MrPatrick

Wild steelhead

I looked up the fine print on steelhead and you have to have a steelhead report card and all wild steelhead must be released. My guess was a steelhead because there a steelhead streams both of San Diego county.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #8
T Bone

Historically there was a run of steelhead in a river in Baja Norte as well.39 were counted going upstream into camp pendleton last year.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
Ddwineguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Gay WSB
Nope not a WSB unless they suddenly started growing black circles over the top of their bodies. I ve caught both and know the diiffrence And by gay do you mean happy our are you using that as a put down? Such a good choice of words.
Ddwineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
kobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddwineguy View Post
Nope not a WSB unless they suddenly started growing black circles over the top of their bodies. I ve caught both and know the diiffrence And by gay do you mean happy our are you using that as a put down? Such a good choice of words.

Knowing Jorge, he probably means a happy put down.
Pretty cool hook up and getting to see it.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:08 PM   #11
RK

I wouldn't be surprised at all I know of a couple crazy fucks that's chased a striped marlin from the kelp over the canyon for half an hour last month
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #12
Vikingj

I saw a photo of a steelhead caught in Dana Pt harbor about 3 yrs ago and there has been reports of salmon migrating up the rivermouth at Doheny to San Juan Capo for several years. Unfortunately, there are obstructions that prevent further migration up San Juan Creek or Trabuco Canyon. Plans for installing a fish ladder have been discussed but not acted upon.
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:36 PM   #13
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobra View Post
Knowing Jorge, he probably means a happy put down.
Pretty cool hook up and getting to see it.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #14
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK View Post
I wouldn't be surprised at all I know of a couple crazy fucks that's chased a striped marlin from the kelp over the canyon for half an hour last month

i saw that too. but when your out there as much as him/them you tend to run into crazy stuff.

salmon/steelhead hit NPH earlier this year and they show up in SD bay.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:28 AM   #15
Chief Gunner

Did a twilight solo session at LJ last night

I launched around 1:30, peddled out in the PA to make some bait which was hard to come by I saw a couple of sharks in the surf while launching, I pointed them out to a some people on Rentals, really Freaked them out but they were small ones...only about 6 ft.

I Metered very little life out there all evening (no Salmon to be found). Where the hell did all the fish go?

I was hoping to score some squirts at sunset and cruise the kelp line for a chance at a WSB but I had no luck in that. I only got bit hard twice, one stripped completely off the hook and the other Spainard was shredded (Slime stick or a shark is what I was thinking) about an hour before sunset.

Anyway it was really warm out there. I enjoyed an awesome Sunset and having the place to myself for a few hours. I landed on the beach on a really high tide at 9 something. Surf was up a bit (waist to chest high) but it was an easy day compared to the landing follies I used to have in the the Tarpon 16oi.

See you guys on the water, Peace

Last edited by Chief Gunner; 09-15-2012 at 06:51 AM.
Chief Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #16
Sully1

Yah it was slow today, I was out from 6am to 10am and counted 28 yaks, 4 skiffs, squid was scarce, no wind, little water movement, and didn't see anything caught. Water temp 65 to 67F. Surf about 1-2 foot.
Sully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #17
T Bone

I have a friend who is a Trout unlimited member.There is supposed to be $5M in DFG funds set aside for that fish ladder.the 5 freeway is the biggest obstruction,Also with the MLPA maybe they need that $$$ for enforcement,who knows.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #18
kantstudien

Do you need a salmon card to take salmon down here? I know in norcal you do...
kantstudien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #19
finyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddwineguy View Post
Arrived at La Jolla Shores around 5:30 to super thick fog. We waited for a while to clear and as it got light we launched into it anyway. Slow day for me and my fishing partner making bait. 2 squirts were all i could muster. No luck on them so I start making Greenbacks. This is where it gets weird. I am fishing a sabiki with the rod I usually use for bassin in the bay. I get ripped hard and fight something decent for a few minutes. Finally i get it to color and I think what the hell is that? Juvi white seabass? No. Rat Yellow? No. As I play it closer the fish comes up and makes a little jump. Holy cow it is about a two foot long Salmon! I start thinking should I gaff it? Is it legal to posses one here? WTF! One more little jump and my sabiki rig pulls out and off it goes back into the deep. Crazy!

Rest of day not nearly as exciting. Had one hit on a greenback with no dice and had a seal pick off two of my baits. One guy fishing next to us caught a hefty BSB.

Oh well, better luck next time.

Sorry I could not make it but I really appreciate the invite I need more time to get my gear together.So don't forget about me.
finyak is offline   Reply With Quote