Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-02-2017, 10:30 AM   #1
Tac.Fish0313

Clarification needed for catching bait in La Jolla

I’ve been told by a few sources that “only” catching/ sabiking bait i.e.(green back macks, span macks, sardines, etc) on North side of Scripps Pier is permissible, But no other pelagic fish catch is allowed. Is making bait north of the pier a legit thing?
Tac.Fish0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:40 AM   #2
jorluivil

yes, can catch bait in that area but that is it.

the only part of this that has always confused is why it says you cannot take market squid but market squid is listed as a coastal pelagic. maybe I'm just reading it wrong

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conserva...servation-area

San Diego-Scripps Coastal State Marine Conservation Area
JPG Map | PDF Map

Boundary: This area is bounded by the mean high tide line and straight lines connecting the following points in the order listed:

32° 53.000' N. lat. 117° 15.166' W. long.;
32° 53.000' N. lat. 117° 16.400' W. long.;
32° 51.964' N. lat. 117° 16.400' W. long.; and
32° 51.964' N. lat. 117° 15.252' W. long.

Permitted/Prohibited Uses:

It is unlawful to injure, damage, take, or possess any living, geological, or cultural marine resource for commercial and/or recreational purposes, with the following specified exceptions:
The recreational take of coastal pelagic species, except market squid, by hook-and-line only is allowed.
Take pursuant to the operation and maintenance of artificial structures inside the conservation area is allowed pursuant to any required federal, state, and local permits, or as otherwise authorized by the Department.
Licensees of the Regents of the University of California and all officers, employees, and students of such university may take, for scientific purposes, invertebrates, fish, or specimens of marine plant or algae under the conditions prescribed in a scientific collecting permit issued by the Department.

Coastal pelagic species (CCR Title 14, Section 1.39), as defined for purposes of MPA regulations, include the following: northern anchovy (Engraulis mordax), Pacific sardine (Sardinops sagax), Pacific mackerel (Scomber japonicus), jack mackerel (Trachurus symmetricus) and market squid (Doryteuthis (Loligo) opalescens).

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 09-02-2017 at 10:47 AM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:50 AM   #3
Tac.Fish0313

THANK YOU... Right off the bat I wasn't confident even after people had told me that making bait off that area was ok. but now I'm at ease knowing what i can do in that area. I appreciate the heads up.
Tac.Fish0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:31 PM   #4
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
yes, can catch bait in that area but that is it.

the only part of this that has always confused is why it says you cannot take market squid but market squid is listed as a coastal pelagic. maybe I'm just reading it wrong

Well...

14 CCR § 1.39 apparently defines coastal pelagic species for the purposes of the body of regulations as a whole. The regulation governing the Scripps SMCA is free to carve market squid out of that.

In California, when you are faced with two laws, the newer/more specific controls the older/more general.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote