Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
Sdspeed

How many of you cary marine radios?

If so does anybody have a favorite?
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

I have the Standard Horizon HX750 which works great.

Had water get inside of it somehow and standard horizon replaced the whole unit free of charge. I have since gone back there with other radios and they have taken care of them all free of charge, multiple times. Excellent customer service!

Old 09-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
jorluivil

A better question is how many of you DO NOT carry a VHF radio and if you dont why not?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
A better question is how many of you DO NOT carry a VHF radio and if you dont why not?
And why isn't it leashed?

Icom both of our radios have been in for service, never have been charged for repair
Old 09-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
MrM

Quote:
+1

Safety should not be compromised on the water. Professional opinions aside (I'm a Safety Manager), it's irresponsible to go on the water without a radio.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
Drake

I go without one. Mainly because I always have Cell phone service, and now a days you can't peddle out and not be within ear shout of someone else. I've been on the water over 100 times this year, and haven't had a situation where I needed a radio over my cell phone. It also might have to do with the fact I'm in the Coast Guard and can make a phone call that will get a faster response that a radio call.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
And why isn't it leashed?

Leashed to my PFD
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I go without one. Mainly because I always have Cell phone service, and now a days you can't peddle out and not be within ear shout of someone else. I've been on the water over 100 times this year, and haven't had a situation where I needed a radio over my cell phone. It also might have to do with the fact I'm in the Coast Guard and can make a phone call that will get a faster response that a radio call.
Is your phone waterproof, does it float? I fish alone all the time but I'm Jar Head and we are invincible. I always have a Radio, thats where the best dope is! and lastly You Navy rejects are alright in my book.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
Is your phone waterproof, does it float? I fish alone all the time but I'm Jar Head and we are invincible. I always have a Radio, thats where the best dope is! and lastly You Navy rejects are alright in my book.
Trust me, I understand the importance of a radio, especially having done many many many SAR cases. If I ever bug in LJ at night in fog with swells I'll bring it but on a normal day on the water I'm a minimalist and like to bring as little with me as I can.

We better be good in your book, because of this man.

DOUGLAS A. MUNRO
MEDAL OF HONOR
Douglas A. Munro, Signalman First Class, U.S. Coast Guard, died heroically on Guadalcanal, September 27, 1942. He volunteered and successfully led five Higgins boats from the seaplane tender BALLARD to evacuate a detachment of Marines from a point where enemy opposition developed beyond anticipated dimensions. Munro's last words were 'Did they get off?'
The Medal of Honor is the country's highest award
Old 09-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...nor_recipients

As of October 30, 2011, there are a total of 400 Medal of Honor awards to 296 U.S. Marine recipients. 1 USCG, ironically your one served with Marines. hes the luckiest Coastie of them all!

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

Old 09-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #11
ratdog

Leashed to my PFD.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post

As of October 30, 2011, there are a total of 400 Medal of Honor awards to 296 U.S. Marine recipients. 1 USCG, ironically your one served with Marines. hes the luckiest Coastie of them all!
That pretty much what I was getting at lol, our only MOH winner was a result of helping marines.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #13
ful-rac
Emperor

Yep having a radio is a good thing, remember a couple of weeks ago me and greg saved some dude having a stroke...? He got on 16 right away and within 2 minutes the harbor patrol was there.

Last time I called 911 on my cell phone...the recording I got went something like this...."Good afternoon...you have reached the california highway patrol...all of our operators are currently busy with other callers, your call is important to us so your call will be answered in the order it was received, and thank you for calling the california highway patrol.....(elevator music)...." Can you believe that crap?

If I had a dieing man and I got that recording!!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #14
Chief Gunner

I respect Marines and especially those that were awarded the MOH and the Coast Gurardsman too. Just don't forget that there are quite a few Sailors on that list too; Many of whom earned theirs right alongside Marines

Service Pride Aside; I always have my Icom IC-M34 in the PA, I also carry a cell in a waterproof Drycase. My Military taining instilled a love for "Redundantcy" and "Preparedness" in me that I will always carry with me.

I like my Solo trips at times but I like fishing with others as well. I was thinking about this out there last Friday night when I did a Solo excursion;

With all the Kayaks out at LJ and on the water these days, just imagine if a group of us got on the same channel (with alternates assigned so we don't get bummrushed by boaters) and fanned out as a "Pack" using some "Recon" tactics to locate fish.....all it would take is a bit of cooperation and coordination, I think there might be some fish catching potential in it for us

The Commercial Boats and Cattle Boats do it so I can't help but think how efective it might be for us Yakers who can fish the areas they can't.

Just a thought

Last edited by Chief Gunner; 09-19-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Chief Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #15
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Yep having a radio is a good thing, remember a couple of weeks ago me and greg saved some dude having a stroke...? He got on 16 right away and within 2 minutes the harbor patrol was there.

Last time I called 911 on my cell phone...the recording I got went something like this...."Good afternoon...you have reached the california highway patrol...all of our operators are currently busy with other callers, your call is important to us so your call will be answered in the order it was received, and thank you for calling the california highway patrol.....(elevator music)...." Can you believe that crap?

If I had a dieing man and I got that recording!!!!!!!
Last time I called 9-11 it asked me to press one for english
Old 09-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #16
dorado50

Quote:

cause mine don't work under h2o....seriously I don't ever carry one aboard the yak. Why not?, simple truth is its just another object to get in the way of landing a nice fish.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #17
richard67b

X-NAVY CARRY ONE ALL THE TIME
richard67b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #18
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

well im indestructible, invincible, immortal, however you look at it and i carry one. its a cobra, water proof, floats and bright orange. I even remember to charge it sometimes. it's tons of fun to sit in the kayak at around 8am and listen to all the chatter on 72 about the "bite yesterday" then get on and say something like " you should have been here at 3am, wide open seabass and got a yellow over 40 at first light..." then listen to all hell break loose.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #19
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
it's tons of fun to sit in the kayak at around 8am and listen to all the chatter on 72 about the "bite yesterday" then get on and say something like " you should have been here at 3am, wide open seabass and got a yellow over 40 at first light..." then listen to all hell break loose.
toss out a few GPS# s about a a click off your location and sit back and enjoy!

Old 09-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #20
jorluivil

Ex-Aliso Village resident, I also carry one all the time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliso_Village

Aliso Village was one of the most impoverished areas of the city, and by the 1930s was considered one of the last remaining slums in the United States. Reformer Jacob Riis had visited The Flats in the early 1910s and declared them worse than anything in New York; a survey conducted by the city in the 1937 deemed 20% of the city's dwellings "unfit for human habitation," including most of The Flats. During World War II, the Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles (HACLA) razed The Flats and built Aliso Village projects in their place. Like most of HACLA's 1940s projects, the Aliso Village projects were hailed at the time of their construction as some of the finest examples of the principles espoused by the garden city movement, and were racially integrated to boot.
Soon after the end the war, Aliso Village lost most of their non-Latino populations, and were increasingly populated by Mexican immigrants. With the river on one side and a massive rail yard on another, the construction of the East Los Angeles Interchange further isolated them from the rest of the city, and the closure of the Pacific Electric Railway dramatically reduced the mobility of many of the projects' residents. By the 1970s, overcrowding had eliminated much of Aliso Village's once-vaunted green spaces, physical deterioration had become rampant, and gangs were an increasing problem. In the 1980s the residents of Aliso Village began to organize with the support of Dolores Mission Church and its community organization, UNO, and began to address these problems. By the late eighties the residents of the two housing projects had developed a network of community groups that pushed for better services and began negotiating truces between the different gangs, thus reducing the level of violence. In 1996, HACLA wrote off the projects, against the residents desires'. In 2000 Aliso Village was demolished and replaced with the New Urbanist, Pueblo del Sol "workforce housing" project. In the process two thirds of the residents of the housing projects were displaced in a situation reminiscent of the Chavez Ravine incident

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote