Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2017, 10:19 PM   #1
Mahigeer

Some good news to share with my BWE family here.

On Monday, I will be picking up my new 2017 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium in Nautical blue color.

I will have the minimum four requirements for traveling to Baja, or other off-road destinations.

4X4 drive,
Roof rack for roof carrier container,
Rear backup camera; to see my kayak that will be sticking out from the cargo area. No more kayak on the roof.
Tow package.

Lots of other bells and whistles that are not needed for Baja, but are nice to have.

Added to new gear is Spot Gen3 Satellite GPS messenger unit (on sale from Cabela's at 1/2 price),
Additional tow cable,
Hi-lift jack,
12V jack and impact wrench kit,
Harbor Freight truck bed extender to support the kayak with addition of rear lights.

And I am getting ready for Baja.
Not bragging, just sharing my good news with the family here.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:34 PM   #2
blazian

How are you going to haul the yak? With the lift gate open? Doesn't exhaust fumes go into the truck? I must be missing something
blazian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:39 PM   #3
vanduzerwilliam
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazian View Post
How are you going to haul the yak? With the lift gate open? Doesn't exhaust fumes go into the truck? I must be missing something
I put my 14 in the back of my wife 4Runner it fits awesome only sticks out a tab and haven't had any issues with exhaust coming back in just crack the front windows and it's like a wind tunnel
vanduzerwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:36 PM   #4
Mahigeer

Good question. Thanks.

I plan to build a platform over the kayak for cargo. Also areas on both sides of kayak should have room for some stuff. Roof carrier is another place for light stuff, like sleeping bag, etc.

Then the plan is to build a removable "wall" inside of rear lift door if you will.
That way only the kayak will be sticking out. The wall will be cut out to the silhouette of the kayak.

The wall will provide security and keep the fumes out.
The backup camera will eliminate the need to see from the back window, however with the lift door strapped to the kayak, I wonder how the camera angle will be. How will it affect the view?

Lots of experimentations to get it right.

With my Sentri card, towing a kayak trailer is out of question. Unless the rules change.

As you can tell by the posting of this reply, it is late, yet I am too excited to go to sleep!

Lots to think about. Once done, I will post pictures of the progress.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:16 AM   #5
Mahigeer

I got woken up last night by the sound of helicopters looking for someone.
After that I could not go back to sleep, so I was reading the fine print in my contract with the dealer.

In it I read that I need their written permission to take the SUV outside of US or Canada! I guess that means Mexico. Technically as long as I owe them payments, they own the SUV.

The first think that I told the salesman and the sales manager, was that "I am looking for a 4Runner to take to Baja for fishing", and that had to have; A, B, C, etc.

I will have to talk to them on Monday when I go to pickup the SUV. I need to notify the CBP as to the vehicle change on my Sentri Pass.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:45 AM   #6
Baja_Traveler

Well, that takes care of the transportation problem.

Now you can start working up a plan to take care of the rooster problem!
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:11 AM   #7
blazian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Good question. Thanks.

I plan to build a platform over the kayak for cargo. Also areas on both sides of kayak should have room for some stuff. Roof carrier is another place for light stuff, like sleeping bag, etc.

Then the plan is to build a removable "wall" inside of rear lift door if you will.
That way only the kayak will be sticking out. The wall will be cut out to the silhouette of the kayak.

The wall will provide security and keep the fumes out.
The backup camera will eliminate the need to see from the back window, however with the lift door strapped to the kayak, I wonder how the camera angle will be. How will it affect the view?

Lots of experimentations to get it right.

With my Sentri card, towing a kayak trailer is out of question. Unless the rules change.

As you can tell by the posting of this reply, it is late, yet I am too excited to go to sleep!

Lots to think about. Once done, I will post pictures of the progress.
That makes a lot more sense, I remember the exhaust fumes were bad when i tried that once. Cracking the front window helps but I wouldnt want to do that on a long Baja trek. Sounds like a nice setup
blazian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #8
skrilla

Lift gate open and strapped? I would double check local laws especially concerning the third brake light. Premature wear and tear on the lift gate shocks, strapped is not locked after all. Annoying door open light always illuminated would bug me to death. Rear camera is a good idea but, knock on wood, if you get pulled over I would assume an LEO would want full visual of the cabin. Not to rain on your parade but I would hate to hear you get busted for it.

Congrats on the new ride though. I'd get one in a heartbeat but our 3rd gen 4Runner keeps on ticking.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:09 AM   #9
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanduzerwilliam View Post
I put my 14 in the back of my wife
I really, REALLLLLLLLY wanted to make a crass comment here....
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:22 PM   #10
Pocoloco

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanduzerwilliam View Post
I put my 14 in the back of my wife 4Runner it fits awesome only sticks out a tab and haven't had any issues with exhaust coming back in just crack the front windows and it's like a wind tunnel
DONT WORRY ABOUT THE DUST.
Pocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:34 PM   #11
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
WHAT you mean there is dust in my beloved BAJA? I thought it was only beach sand. Mahigeer, did you get it, please tell!!!!!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 04-24-2017 at 03:10 PM.
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:58 PM   #12
Mahigeer

Picked up the 4Runner today. Manager told me that it should not be a problem going to Mexico as long as I get Mexican insurance. I get it anyways, so that’s that. Only thing is, was he just trying to get me off his back, or was he correct.

Now some new issues: Even if I wanted, I could not load the kayak from the rear. It is due to a body part that sticks out and a shark fin looking thing. It is the antenna and it is in the middle of roof at the rear.

That leaves the cargo space or the use of Thule Hullavator Pro. Thanks Dave.

The lift is rated at 75 lbs. and I think Outback is over 80 lbs. Other issue is the instruction says “not to use factory installed roof rack”. I need to investigate more. This morning I was on hold for estimated (10) minutes on
Thule’s line with a worst wait music I have ever heard. I could not wait (and stand the music). So I hung up.

Cargo storage can lead to salt water and sand and dust to get inside of the vehicle. There are ways around that, but I am trying to make it safe and easier than before.

Locally I can use a trailer. For Baja trailer will work too. I can use the trailer the whole time I am in Baja, and passing into Mexico is not a problem. Only issue is crossing back to US. If I don’t use the Sentri Lane there is no problem there either except the wait.

For now priority is selling the green 4runner.

As to why not Tacoma, I have a Dodge van for work and prefer to have my cargo covered and inside. Never considered a pickup truck for purchase.

Please keep your tips and questions coming. It is very helpful.

P.S. The Hi-lift jack arrived today. It is a monster. It looks like it can lift a tank!!
I think it is missing parts and has a bent pin. No box, no instructions except some taped on the handle. Need to talk to the seller.

Winning the inflatable Mirage Drive will change the game. Perhaps a purchase is in order, if not won.

Picture coming soon.

Last edited by Mahigeer; 04-24-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:52 AM   #13
Baja_Traveler

Yep - they stopped rfid scanning vehicles a few years ago, but they still want to inspect every vehicle to make sure you have front plates installed etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:31 AM   #14
Mahigeer

I did not have to do that with my current vehicle when I got my card!

I think it is an old system.

I am having a problem with logging on their website.
I had emailed them before, about correction to my application. They had responded, so I used the "reply" again and wrote them what has happened.

Will see what they say.

In the meanwhile, I found this on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yugDb9WnWHg

It is for 2016 model and with some exception it is same as my 2017.
Mine does not have roof rack, but has running board.
My interior is all black with gray seat inserts.

The color is called Nautical Metalic Blue. How appropriate for an angler. I did not pick it. It happened to be the only one available in lot. Maybe by purpose.

Last edited by Mahigeer; 04-25-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:17 AM   #15
Mahigeer

Latest reply from CBP

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Information Center.

Yes, to add a vehicle it is $42.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP Information Center.

Sincerely,

CBP Information Center
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So far the Sentri Card cost:
Application, card fee…………….$122.50
Friday parking rate………………….$25.00 (if I remember) Other days are $8.00.

I could have parked in the adjacent shopping center for free, but I did not want risk of getting towed with the all the fishing gear in the SUV.
Change vehicle………………………$42.00
Gas to drive from Los Angeles to San Diego………???
Approximately $200.00; good for (5) years.

Last edited by Mahigeer; 04-29-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:59 AM   #16
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
Yep - they stopped rfid scanning vehicles a few years ago, but they still want to inspect every vehicle to make sure you have front plates installed etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
First time I crossed with Sentri card they checked out my front plate and that was it, no other inspection, no special trip was involved.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:44 PM   #17
Mahigeer

I just got this response from CBP. No mention of $42.00 application fee. I sent them another Email asking about the fee. I will post the response.

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Information Center.

You can add/remove a vehicle for use in the SENTRI lanes through your GOES account. Please select manage membership from the homepage, then US programs, and then add/remove vehicle. After you pay the processing fee you will see it pending review. Please note processing times for vehicle enrollment vary vastly and it can take 3-5 months to process.

Upon vehicle approval, you will receive a letter stating that you will receive a new SENTRI card, please disregard. You can use the vehicle immediately upon approval with your existing Trusted Traveler card. Vehicle inspections are no longer required.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP Information Center.

Sincerely,