Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #21
Beer Me
Take two

Checking out the deals at Turners now. Big sale on Seeker Blue Lightning Inshore II rods. 15-25 8' for 134.98. Good price?
Beer Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #22
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

i use a bamboo stick and a handline.!!!! it works!

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #23
Beer Me
Take two

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
i use a bamboo stick and a handline.!!!! it works!
Tempted!
Old 11-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #24
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwhisperer619 View Post
Not to say the article is right or wrong but I could right an article myself telling you how bad something is, it doesnt make it true or accurate. I havent read the article so i dont know the contents of it but im having a hard time matching product flaw with performance results. Just becsuse its made in china doesn't mean its junk. All I use now is powerpro and I'm yet to have a problem with it. Ive used spiderwire, diamond braid, hi seas, that stren goretex braid, etc. And powerpro was in my opinion better than the rest, with a close second being that goretex one (wasn't limp enough in my opinion).
I'm not attacking anyone btw just expressing an opinion
The article contained data from a neutral party showing fraying results after passing the line through a fishing rod guide 500times. Compared to izor and Jerry brown...PP was mangled. It was a very nonopinionated article, simply a report of experimental findings

Personal experience? Power pro is way too stiff, has terrible memory, the green fades and I agree with the article, it frays. It's also incredibly abrasive. Try Jerry Brown white and I promise you will never go back
Old 11-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #25
Drake

To be fair...
Powerpro is definitely a strong line. It will hold the weight it's rated for no problem. So catching your Marlin is no big surprise. However, I just wouldn't say "get high quality line" and then suggest powerpro. There are much better options. Powerpro is like the middle of the road line. It's a personal preference. Try both, see which you like.

I prefer a soft line that won't cut my fingers, won't damage my guides, won't fray and fade after a few months and will last.

No joke. I have had my JB 40# on my jig stick for two years. I can't even tell you how many times I've thrown it. Probably at least 100 yesterday. I have had my 50# JB on my kelp cutter for 1.5 years. I have pulled 3 40#+ WSB and 2 60#s with it. (1 from kayak, 1 from boat) and I honestly can't tell you how many yellow tail there's been more fish I just don't remember which rig they were on Any line that can take the beating I give it and still perform flawlessly, is a winner in my book
Old 11-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #26
Beer Me
Take two

Thanks for the input everybody. Keep it coming!
Old 11-28-2013, 12:24 AM   #27
easyday

Ive never even heard of jerry Brown
Old 11-28-2013, 04:19 AM   #28
tacmik

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyday View Post
Ive never even heard of jerry Brown
He uses the alias "Moonbeam"
Old 11-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #29
Beer Me
Take two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Don't be scared to try those Little Mermaid and Spider Man starter rods from walmart. I've seen plenty of spotted bay bass landed on those rigs and it'll certainly save you a few bucks. They are super light weight and compact, you could definitely carry a few on your kayak without exceeding the weight capacity. I don't think they come with gimble fittings so I wouldn't suggest trolling with them.
Saw the "Hello Kitty" rod and reel set at Turners yesterday. At 9.95 it was a steal, I still didn't pull the trigger though.

I'm leaning towards the Avet reels and still looking into the Seeker rods I mentioned.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #30
easyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmik View Post
He uses the alias "Moonbeam"
I know exactly who tje the moonbeam jerry Brown is I was referring to tje fishing line haha
Old 11-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #31
taggermike

Don't think starter gear need to be low quality gear. If you get some cheap stuff you'll be disappointed and maybe lose a quality fish. Most of my gear is used but decent stuff and it keeps right on killing fish. I'll throw my vote to the Daiwa sealine reels as well. Older or newer models in all sizes are great and durable reels. Like others said, fill with braid and you can then change leader size to suit what you're after. Big 5 does have good sales frequently on sabre and penn rods that will do the job on local fish. If you go used try out local seeker or calstar. Can't go wrong with either of these brands. Since you want to target lots of species go with a heavier 20-40lb rod and and maybe some thing 10-20 with a trigger for bass and inshore stuff. There are lots of good bait casters that will suit you. Abu-Garcia, shimano cardifs are afordable reels that will work well. Good luck. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beer, greenhorn, newb, rookie