Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
m1k3midg3

a little story for you

so yesterday my friend and I decided to go kayaking at la jolla. we pulled up to the launch and watch the surf a little bit. The waves were a bit odd. they were coming in in awkward sets where it would be calm for about 2 minutes then really rough and big for 2 minutes. we launched and paddled over to the cave that all kayaking tours go to. we kinda sat outside the cave deciding whether or not we should go in. after a calm spot came through, we went in and kinda forgot about the big set that was gonna come in in 2 minutes. we stayed in for a bit and i was looking up at the cieling and then all of a sudden my friend screams "oh shit get out!!!" and he starts madly paddling towards the exit of the cave. I thought he was over reacting so i just looked over casually and i see this HUGE MASSIVE FREAKING WAVE THAT IS LITERALLY BREAKING INSIDE OF THE CAVE" i yell out a few swear words that i didnt even know i knew and start madly paddling at the wave trying to get over it. The wave starts dragging me backwards so I ditched the kayak and started swimming towards the opening in the cave while watching my kayak fly out the other end. the wave was so big that i could almost touch the cieling of the cave. I finally get out of the cave and take my friends life jacket because i was not wearing one. i swam around the back of the cave in that little channel to try and get my kayak back. it took about 10 minutes to get to the little rock beach at the back end of the cave where my kayak had washed up on shore. there was this little sea lion about 2 feet long and I walked over to it and it growled at me like a dog so i backed off from it. I saw a lobster net but it was broken so i left it where it was. I then got my kayak and put it at the waters edge and then waited for a wave to lift the kayak up. A wave came and I paddled like mad before any big waves could come and wash me onto the rocks. I made it out and started swearing like a sailor.

Last edited by m1k3midg3; 04-29-2011 at 05:07 PM.
m1k3midg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
MuddyMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1k3midg3 View Post
so yesterday my friend and I decided to go
down to the launch. he pointed out past the breakers and said ...
MuddyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
Phatford
Heroes on the Water Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyMike View Post
down to the launch. he pointed out past the breakers and said ...
Hey isn't that Jack White with the guitar and the funny clothes on a SUP?
Phatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
MuddyMike

Well, now that you finished the original story, ... I like yours better.

Doesn't sound like a fun situation. Glad it worked out.
MuddyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
driftwood

I was right behind you filming everything. I hope you don't mind if i post this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OfrFpFwESQ
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

I didn't know there way a cave in there. I need to check that place out next time.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
m1k3midg3

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
I was right behind you filming everything. I hope you don't mind if i post this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OfrFpFwESQ

LOLOLOLOLOLOL that guy definatly ate it harder than I did but that little wave has NOTHING on the wave that swept through while i was in there.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
StinkyMatt

I am glad that you are OK.

Now, WTF are you doing exploring an unknown cave (to you) on a day where you KNOW there are bigger waves going....and not wearing a PFD.

In my opinion, you were asking for it.

I do dumb crap like that all the time, so its just fun to see someone alse being "That Guy" for once.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
m1k3midg3

ive been in the cave before and i just didnt feel like wearing a life jacket that day. ya know? i was wearing a wetsuit which is a bit bouyant. and i dont regret doing it. IT WAS REALLY REALLY FUN. i might do it again haha. but ill wear a life jacket and helmet
Old 04-29-2011, 11:22 PM   #10
bigbarrels

You almost added yourself to the list for 2011......glad you made it out ok......don't feel alone, I almost made the 2010 list

http://darwinawards.com/darwin/
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote