Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
smithers

New Hobie Leaking?

Wanted a kayak for a year now. Today my Revo 11 arrived.

Soon as I got home from work I read the literature, then dropped it in the pool, mainly to get a feel for stability and re-entry.

It was only in the water for 15 minutes, and during this time was tipped three times. All hatches closed tight.

When I was done I removed it from the pool and noticed quite a bit of water splashing around the hull. Maybe a half gallon or more.

What's up? Was hoping to take it out in the harbor this weekend but I need to find out first whether I have a leak. Got a bilge pump on order so if this is normal after a roll I'll deal with it, but it doesn't seem normal to me. Thought the hull would stay dry inside with all hatches closed.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. I plan on doing a lot of yak fishing this year, either heading south to Malibu or north to Channel Islands / Oxnard / Hueneme / Ventura. Any yakkers looking for a fishing buddy around these areas please send a PM. I'm 36, easy going, crazy about fishing, and can't wait to land my first out of the yak. Thx.
smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
kobra

The front hatch doesn't have a "seal". I think that's where the water came from.
Welcome to the site.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

wait till you punch through the surf, 2 gal min
Welcome to BWE.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
smithers

Thanks!

Oh, good; this means I can go out Saturday!

Was afraid I got a lemon. Thanks guys.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithers View Post
Oh, good; this means I can go out Saturday!

Was afraid I got a lemon. Thanks guys.
Where you going? make sure you have all the basics ,PFD, radio, signaling device, etc...

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
echo1er

yes front hatch starboard side. The right side if your sitting on the yak. someone did a research on it couple months back. Your okay. Just remember to bring your pump when you head out.
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:00 AM   #7
dmrides

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
Where you going? make sure you have all the basics ,PFD, radio, signaling device, etc...
And a manual pump that is secured in an easily accessible location. Knowing you can get the water out fast is a real confidence booster.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:03 AM   #8
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1er View Post
yes front hatch starboard side. The right side if your sitting on the yak. someone did a research on it couple months back. Your okay. Just remember to bring your pump when you head out.
and don't forget your sham wow or sponge. that'll help with soaking up the little water left over from the pump. good luck out there and have fun

p.s. if you tend to get a little sea sick make sure to take the necessary meds, i.e. pills, patch, ginger ale, crackers. whatever you normally would use for this type of thing. the first few times out, i felt it.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:18 AM   #9
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagyak View Post
and don't forget your sham wow or sponge. that'll help with soaking up the little water left over from the pump. good luck out there and have fun

p.s. if you tend to get a little sea sick make sure to take the necessary meds, i.e. pills, patch, ginger ale, crackers. whatever you normally would use for this type of thing. the first few times out, i felt it.
Agreed. Im not prone to seasickness but the first time out I did experience it. The rolling swells + not properly hydrating + sun beating down got me. Id suggest the ginger and crackers and bring plenty of drinking water. After a couple trips I got over out and now I rarely get ill unless I'm dehydrated.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #10
ratdog

Check both of your hinged hatches, sometimes if the rubber "O" ring is missing lots of water gets inside the kayak. Good Luck
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #11
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagyak View Post
Only Matt gets seasick.....particularly when the wsb are biting

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #12
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Only Matt gets seasick.....particularly when the wsb are biting
for matt it's not being seasick; it's called being nervous before the show
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #13
smithers

Thanks

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Yeah, I fish a lot on boats and always take my Bonine 4-12 hours before going out.

As far as safety goes, got the hiback Hobie fisherman PFD arriving tomorrow along with HX280 radio.

Also have coming the Storm whistle "world's loudest!" and this super-squirt-gun which I saw recommended over the bilge pump I was planning to buy: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AXRF5/

Leashes, lip grip, gaff, etc.. Only thing I haven't ordered yet are fish finder and rod holders (thinking to get scotties but want to do more research on both these, and not putting any holes in the boat just yet...)

Got the hobie bait tank so will have 6 stock holders to get by for now. Gonna check sizing tonight to see if some PVC might be useful.

This weekend I intend to just putter around C.I. harbor a bit maybe do a bit of fishing near the breakwall. Once I get some practice surf launching I'm planning to fish the kelp off Leo Carillo & other beaches near me. As far as this weekend goes, the biggest risk is probably a jetski guess I shoulda ordered that flag...