Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
fishinkid2010

Bass Fishing at El Cap

Today I opted to fish El Capitan Reservoir instead of hitting up La Jolla. (not sure if that was the right decisions haha) Fished from 7am to 11:30am. Water temp was 67 to 68 degrees; the water was very green with a lot of sediment in the water; almost like an algae bloom. I started off by throwing everything at them until I could find a pattern.
The lake is very high and there is a ton of brush underwater. Surprisingly the only fish I caught tight to the cover was the largest one I found. The rest were a good 15 feet away from any brush.
I was throwing a chartreuse Stanley spinnerbait matched up with 50# McCoy braid. (I’ve never been a huge fan of braid, but after spooling up my reel with this stuff I might be changing my mind)
I also had tied on a drop shot with 10# McCoy 100% Flourocarbon, with a 6” Fat Margarita Mutilator colored Roboworm.
My third set up was a Carolina rig with a watermelon red Stanley Sidewinder… these are my new favorite baits!
Lastly, and the money rig was a shallow diving crankbait. I caught a few on a square bill KVD series shad colored crank, and a Mann’s Baby T-Minus in Texas Sunrise.
One think that I like to do when fishing is a little tough is to rub a little Unibutter on the crankbait. Anything to get them to hit it harder or mask the scent of your hands is beneficial.

I ended up losing a few fish on the crankbait due to thinking I was running through some brush and not setting the hook in time. But in total I landed 5 fish with the biggest being maybe around 3#. All in all it was a fun morning… right up until I broke my mirage drive and had to paddle all the way back.

Thanks for reading! Hopefully next weekend I’ll be fishing Lake Barrett.

fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
blitzburgh

Looks like fun! Bummer about the Mirage Drive. Hopefully repairable?
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
maui jim

Use to fish bass tourneys back in the day, and fished El Cap along with the other lakes down there in SD... when it was tough always had good days with salt and pepper reapers 3"-4" split shot,..
Old 05-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
Amish Ed

Looks a lot better than my day at work. Thanks for the report.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
mtnbykr2

nice report kid...quality large mouth's for sure
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote