Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2016, 09:58 PM   #1
jruiz
Large Member

Isn't there a weird regulation that once you boat a salmon the whole boat has to be fishing barbless circle hooks from that point on? If so, I'm guessing that caught alot of people off guard
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:45 PM   #2
Aaron&Julie

I caught a 24 lber less than a mile out of the Redondo Harbor back around 1978 when Kings and Bluefin made a great showing for months, a truly remarkable year of fishing. The bar was almost level, but I lost the JP that day to a bluefin.

Also, I never had a better tasting fish in my life than that fresh broiled Salmon I filleted that day, and cooked that night. I still drool thinking about it.

Aaron
Old 04-24-2016, 06:09 AM   #3
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
Isn't there a weird regulation that once you boat a salmon the whole boat has to be fishing barbless circle hooks from that point on? If so, I'm guessing that caught alot of people off guard
It's something like that. Maybe it's that the whole boat has to switch to single hook rigs. I remember hearing one should fill up on rockfish first before pursuing salmon for that reason.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:24 AM   #4
matanaska
Junior

I listened to the radio report and how the captain says his son did everything right with this fish. WRONG! First, you can't keep a Chinook salmon unless it is caught with barbless jhooks if trolling or barbless circle hooks if stopped and using bait. The circles hooks can't be more than 5" apart. On the radio broadcast he says you can't gaff a salmon. In their situation it wasn't a legal take because of the barbed hooks so he is correct in using a net, but if it was a legally caught Chinook salmon 24" or better you could gaff it. Your required to carry a net of 18" diameter at all times regardless if your targeting salmon. If they kept the salmon which it looks like they did then it was illegal and they are supposed to go to barbless hooks once a salmon is kept and since they were probably not trolling it has to be barbless circle hooks.

It pisses me off how regulated we are in northern California when you guys in SoCal blatantly break the law like this and have all these big party boats that rape and pillage the rockfish. They were fishing 300ft. We can't go deeper than 120ft because of yelloweye. You guys don't have yelloweye cause yall already killed them all. Your rockfish season is longer, you have better fishing weather, and you have more people and bigger charter boats while we have way less people, shorter seasons, worse weather, less places to launch, and most of our charters are 6packs, but yet our season isn't open yet and closes in october. Its bs!!

That being said if you ever want to catch a salmon or a real halibut like a pacific halibut from a kayak then get in touch cause I'm a licensed guide out of Humboldt. I have landed numerous pacific halibut over 40" up to 49.5" and lots of salmon to 39".
matanaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:42 AM   #5
StinkyMatt

The way you come across.......

Customers are lining up.

No, seriously, who wouldn't want to spend a day fishing with an "angry" guide.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:56 AM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

regs you are quoting do not apply south of Point Conception.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:32 PM   #7
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
regs you are quoting do not apply south of Point Conception.
Thanks Andy for clarifying, I thought so.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:02 AM   #8
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
Gaff is a moot point if you just jump in and shoot them.
Where is this? Not many states allow spearfishing for salmon. Those fish look pretty dark, must not have been moving too fast.