Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2015, 07:05 AM   #1
Podaker

Information about Costa Rica

I am planning a trip to Costa Rica next year. Anybody been there, have any information about kayak fishing, offshore fishing, or shore fishing? what do you do as far as rods, reels & tackle? can you rent equipment or buy a cheep rod and just bring a couple of reels? I have researched online but everything i find is charting a boat for 4-6 people. It will just be me fishing so i just need a guide or local fisherman with a small boat.
Podaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:30 AM   #2
Stuck20

I went fishing out of Tamarindo, Guanacasta in 2006. Couldn't fish from the Atlantic Ocean side because the tide was horrible. A few surfers died that year. Took a charter with four friends and we each caught 2 decent Dorado (kept 3, released the rest) and one of us caught a Bull shark. Be careful though, the deckhands tried to keep quite a bit of fish as their "tip" (about 75% of our meat.) Seeing as though we didn't really need much, we let them have about half of it. Just be wary. The hotel we stayed at cooked us our fish, and it was incredible. Not sure about kayak fishing out there, though. We did rent some kayaks by the Arenal volcano (I think the river was called Agua Caliente but I don't really remember.) The friendly locals will be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck! Sorry if I'm not much help.
Edit: the boat supplied us with all the fishing supplies.
Stuck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:33 PM   #3
dbxwanderer
Junior

if you go to the osa peninsula, definitely check out the corocovado tent adventures. they helped me catch a 30lb wahoo. and GREAT fishing out there. tell them Jamil sent you.
dbxwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:30 PM   #4
surfisher

I am actually heading there next week. Playa del coco. The hotel I am staying at has free kayak rentals I am in the same boat as you in regards to gear, I plan on stuffing two rods in my surfboard bag and bringing two reels and a handful of cranks/jigs/swimbaits. I have no idea what those fish bite haha. If you youtube fishing in costa rica you can see shore-fisherman catching Jack crevalle from shore.

I will try and remember to PM you when I get back! I leave Friday.
surfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:32 AM   #5
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

One of the guys I worked with got a position with corporate and moved his family there. I can find out some info from him if you like. He's big into surfing, so he'll take his pole on the board sometimes. Sent me a pic of his first fish down there of nice little rooster fish.

I'm sure your yellowtail gear is what you'll want to bring.